Discussion Starter #1
Found this on Craigslist. Interesting

·
Administrator
24,792 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you look at the pictures on craigslist (while it still is on craigslist) you can see the difference in the left and right side lower fairing covers. The left side has been cut off at the bottom, you can see because the ruight side still is stock and has the circular spot that "goes around" the crash bar and the right side is now just a right angle. Also it looks like he took off the 3 flares on each lower.

Similar to the left side I am working on to cover my alternator install, fortunatelyI have extra sides to expitement with!

·
Administrator
24,792 Posts
If you look at the pictures on craigslist (while it still is on craigslist) you can see the difference in the left and right side lower fairing covers. The left side has been cut off at the bottom, you can see because the ruight side still is stock and has the circular spot that "goes around" the crash bar and the right side is now just a right angle. Also it looks like he took off the 3 flares on each lower.

Similar to the left side I am working on to cover my alternator install, fortunatelyI have extra sides to expitement with!
The way I read the ad it says it is mounted on the rear of the engine.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
If you zoom in on the left side,you can see some kind of an adaptor in the area of the stock alternator.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Interesting. Also noticed it says "OD" next to the "Low suspension Air" light in the Tach. Gear position switch in '83? My '80 only has the neutral switch in the side of the block.

·
Administrator
24,792 Posts
Interesting. Also noticed it says "OD" next to the "Low suspension Air" light in the Tach. Gear position switch in '83? My '80 only has the neutral switch in the side of the block.
83 did not have the low air warning light, it was changed to OD.

·
Registered
117 Posts
There were a few rather odd looking fairings back in the early 80's.

BATES- Clipper (Front storage)

Windshield turned with handlebars.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you zoom in on the left side,you can see some kind of an adaptor in the area of the stock alternator.
I found the ad on Craigslist last night and went looking for answers. Upon reading these replies, I reviewed the ad and it said: "2000 Goldwing OEM Independent Serviceable External 90 Amp Charging System Rear Engine Case Adapted. "

So, it looks like he put a rear engine cover from a Model Year 2000 on the 1983 Wing. I'm not sure anything was gained other than the extra amps, as it looks like you still have to pull the engine to service it.

I think I'm going to play with the Poor Boy Conversion (On My Parts Bike First) I found on Steve's Goldwing Docs Site: Post Number 14362 Sorry, as this is apparently my first post/reply it won't allow me to post the link. The Title of the post is: GL1100 alternator conversion (how I did mine).

Thanks For The Service Steve!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts