Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So the oil is due to be changed in my truck. When I was still working, I changed every 3000 miles, or about every month and a half. Now, I'm going to every 3 months.

I use Delo 400 15w40 in the bike. What would stop me from doing the same in my gas fueled Suburban? Other than added cost, I would think I got better protection and life.

Am I wrong?

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

I use it in my ford f150 4wd v8, and in the gl1500 works great for both.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
imported post

I use Delo 400 in all my Chevy V8's..Had great luck with it..

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

This every 3000 is marketing talk by the oil change companies. Look at the owners manual. Many state every 6000 miles or more. My van says 8000 miles, and my old Toyota truck was like 10K miles.

To me, 5000 miles is a good interval. Oil and engines have improved a lot since the 70's. I do 3K on my bike however, since it is older, and the clutch has to slosh around in the oil.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,186 Posts
imported post

I ran Delo 400 in my bikes and used the 5,000 mile as a goal post. Once I let it go 7,000 miles because I was on a long trip.

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

ITs a yes for me . I use Delo in my cars and trucks and the bike .

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
This every 3000 is marketing talk by the oil change companies. Look at the owners manual. Many state every 6000 miles or more. My van says 8000 miles, and my old Toyota truck was like 10K miles.

To me, 5000 miles is a good interval. Oil and engines have improved a lot since the 70's. I do 3K on my bike however, since it is older, and the clutch has to slosh around in the oil.
My 07 Suburban has one of those idiot gages that tells you percentage of oil life left. I'm not sure if it's smart enough to figure out driving habits such as city vs highway or not. I usually goes about 8K before it says I need to change the oil, but I do rack up a lot of highway miles. I asked the service manager if I followed this and there was a problem, would it still be covered under warranty and the answer was yes. I try to change it at 5k.

I agree with Sam, the bike goes 3k and then gets a new dose.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

OIL !!! :headbanger:

Let's see... what is a bad oil? Or, what is a "good quality" oil?

Anyone ever purposely bought "bad" oil and hadbad luck?

One main observation I have noticed over the decades is the crud (paraffin) does not build up under the valve covers like in the70s & 80s. I am talking about filling coffee cups full of crud. But nowadays, I do not know howcheap oils perform. Oh... what is a "cheap" oil?

I wonder if a regular 10k oil change today is better than a 3k oil change in the 70s. I think yes. Anyopinions?

:coollep:

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
imported post

Sam is right about the 3000 mile thing, pure bull in most cases. If you only drive short trips, less than 20 minutes then it may need it at 3000 but if like me the shortest trip you drive is 32 miles to work then 5000 won't hurt anything.The longer it runs before being allowed to cool off the longer you can go between changes.
Basically the maintenance minder systems take in to account the miles driven with the engine at less than operating temperature and subtracts those miles from the base change interval.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

After my brothers BMW 760? went out of warranty, he switched to rotella 15-40. He runs 5000 mile intervals. Has been running it 3 years now, no difference. I run super tech oil and have ran that up to 5000....... although I don't like to go more than 3500 miles.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
imported post

I may take a tounge lashing here but in all my vehicles and really anything with a motor I run Royal Purple and have always changed the bikes oil around 4k+/- in my 92 volvo with over 525k I always change it around 10k and have done that since 90k when I bought it sometimes even just changing the filter and adding a quart of new back to the old when times where on th lean side. But thats me and i have decent luck with machines except my computer.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

Light gold in color and fairly slick works for me...:D

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

I use Delo in everything except my jeep where I use Mobil 1. Don't ask me why cause I don't know the answer to that. Just what I've always done. Why change.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

DELO 400 - Yes.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

exavid wrote:
DELO 400 - Yes.
OK.....yes I'm wrong to think that way (added protection and longer life), or yes I can use it in my truck?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,186 Posts
imported post

Yep, use it in your truck. It won't know the difference.

It might even learn to love it :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
imported post

I change oil in my rigs every 2500 miles.. Always have always will..But I have yet to wear out an engine..Sold my 87 Honda Accord with 500000 miles on it and it had never had a wrench on the engine other than to change the clutch..Had the same water pump..Still see that car running up and down the road..Maintance is key to long life..I don't think any of us will hear our stuff yelling about to much maintance..

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

tommy421960 wrote:
How about Synthec?
Does anybody use that?
Sure, lots of folks do...two things to think about though...1.> Not cost effective if the motor leaks oil or otherwise uses a lot of oil, and 2.> Not cost effective if you feel the need to change oil more often than 5k miles or once per year or so, whichever comes first...

Synthetic lubes are being used in more and more new vehicles, by more & more manufacturers over time, than ever before...and by world military in severe arctic and desert service. Of course, they are buying it with our tax dollars, so MONEY is likely no object!!! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

Remember that city running and short journeys are the hardest on oil in whatever vehicle you are using. If you use your car or bike for longer trips the engine will get to it's operating temperature and will burn off any condensation that may have gathered. Short journeys are the death of oil as the engine doesn't get hot enough. Often the thermostat has barely opened and the engine is shut off. Condensation builds up and combined with the condensation and you have sludge. That's why manufacturers suggest 3000miles/5000klick oil change intervals. I remember when the Honda CX500's came out first. The Irish police (Gardai, sorry no fada) bought them as recommended oil change was every 7,000 miles, each one needed to be rebuilt.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.