Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The Gold Wing is a touring bike. How about a digital compass. Every car made has one. How can you have a ‘touring bike’ without a compass. Yes many of us have GPS, but I still think it needs a compass.

The Older I Get, The Better and Faster I Was!

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Welcome Burtsr.

Most folks use a GPS for the digital compass function these days.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Ya, I have one of those and use it a lot. But still, It's a TOURING machine.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Burtsr wrote:
I don't disagree but there are several around here who feel it should also have a voltmeter, gear indicator, cig lighters, Gerbings plugins, high wattage running lights and horns that don't sound like a volkswagon as well.

Guess it all depends on your perception of what a touring bike for 22Gs should have.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
Burtsr wrote:
I don't disagree but there are several around here who feel it should also have a voltmeter, gear indicator, cig lighters, Gerbings plugins, high wattage running lights and horns that don't sound like a volkswagon as well.

Guess it all depends on your perception of what a touring bike for 22Gs should have.
Well, at least they fixed the horn on the 1800's

·
Premium Member
938 Posts
imported post

Good Lord, a compass?!?

I have one in the Roadmonster and I think that I've actually used it once.

All you need is a watch and to be able to see the bright spot in the sky.

Next we'll want auto pilot so we can read the paper while riding on our tour.

Standing by to have my life threatened.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Scout Guy wrote:
Good Lord, a compass?!?

I have one in the Roadmonster and I think that I've actually used it once.

All you need is a watch and to be able to see the bright spot in the sky.

Standing by to have my life threatened.
You'd have to have a life to have it threatened.

·
Premium Member
938 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
My grandmother was Romanian but I'm not one of the undead. You know what a grandmother is, don't you? Since you're from the south, most likely you'd know her as "Cousin Grammma."

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
imported post

I use the compass function on my Navi quite a bit, just to get verification that the road I am on does, indeed, go in the direction I want. Sometimes the Navi GPS drives me crazy, when zoomed out I get a 'north at the top' screen and I can't tell which direction I am actually going.

When I am zoomed in I can see a north arrow and figure out my general cardinal direction. I don't believe I need to know if I am going 42 degrees from Magnetic North, knowing that I am going generally in a northeasterly direction is sufficient for me.

I have used maps my whole life and the first thing I do is "orient the map" according to the North arrow on a compass. The Navi compass is good enough for me to do that with my bike, a 2007 Goldwing (audio/navi/comfort).

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

Scout Guy wrote:
Rudy wrote:
My grandmother was Romanian but I'm not one of the undead. You know what a grandmother is, don't you? Since you're from the south, most likely you'd know her as "Cousin Grammma."
That's "Aunt Grandma", nimrod!:cooldevil:

...and you better be careful with Rudy. Being from Georgia, he only knows 3 ways to cut a man: deep, wide, and continuously!

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

SB in SC wrote:
Scout Guy wrote:
Rudy wrote:
That's "Aunt Grandma", nimrod!:cooldevil:

...and you better be careful with Rudy. Being from Georgia, he only knows 3 ways to cut a man: deep, wide, and continuously!
:shock:and we have seen him do it for a lot less........:cooldevil:I bet the next guy will think twice about asking him if his bike was a Harley:cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
imported post

Since I wrote the comment almost one year ago I have bought and installed a second GPS, a Zumo 550. Both GPS maps (the Navi and the Zumo) have drawbacks, but generally one or the other gives me the information I want and/or need.

I have also bought paper maps for almost everywere I ride and I do a good Google Map recon of the area before I ride. I've knocked out a few Iron Butts in the meantime, so when I ride I basically know the area before I ride there.

But, when I was putting together a group ride I came across an instance where GPS maps and paper maps failed me and only asking directions helped. New contruction, and there is almost no way around it. I was proceeding on Route 9 in Maryland into West Virginia and came across Charles Town, WV. Google Map shows a continuous route, so does the GPS, but when I came through the town, I found Route 9 consisted of a series of lefts and rights and not well marked, I might add. I hooked up with a local, who lead me through the area, but now I am a bit tentative about leading a group through that area. Sometime this summer the road construction is supposed to be finished, until that time I am avoiding it. So, in this case, common sense overrides GPS maps, compasses and paper maps.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
imported post

Scout Guy wrote:
Good Lord, a compass?!?

A scout without a compass:shock:

I have a son in scouts,we use his "BOYSCOUT"compass and paper maps and have not yet "NEEDED" GPS.

I have tried to mount a compass on the bike,but I have not found a good spot without interferance.:baffled:

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
Burtsr wrote:

i have a cigarette lighter and a Gerbings plug on my 93.i guess i have a Touring machine:cooldevil::15grey:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.