Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all, found some suspect electrical wiring on my bike to day so I tore it down a little to see what else may have been done. Pulled off the right side cover to see one of theretainers still stuck in the grommet, it had been glued on to the cover and had broken again, what is the best thing for gluing this back on? Also when I went to replace the seat one of the spacers inside the seat fell into the black hole that is the bowels of the bike never to be seen again. Are they obtainable from Honda or will I have to buy the entire seat to get the piece I want??. The good newsis I checkedto see if the air cleaner was dirty and not only was it clean it was a K&N filter to boot. Found some air horns in the fairing to, not to mention a back up beeper when backing up. I disconnected it and it was the type we use to put on tractor trailers. This guy neverdidanything half way.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

I've had good luck with epoxy to glue the "retainers" back on, may need to trim with a razor knife to get the proper shape.

The spacer, part of the passengergrab bar??? That's the only spacer I know of and they aren't supposed to separate from the grab bar. If you can't locate it, you can try the local hardware store or purchase the appropriate garb bar from "Big Red" They run about 65-70 dollars.

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Tony, the spacers I am talking about are in the seat itself, they just slide in and unfortunately out very easy.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Just turn the bike over and give it a good shake!:cheeky1:

Thosespacers are to allow the grab bars to tighten down without tightening down on the seat pan. You can make new ones from a piece of aluminum or steel tubing. They are all the same length if I remember right. Get a piece of tubing the appropriate size at a hardware store and cut them to length. I'd use a tubing cutter, they are cheap and they will give a square cut which is hard to do with a hacksaw.

I hope you left the air horns connected, I think they are worth their weight in adrenaline for safety. I've used mine a couple times on the freeway when someone decided their car had more use for the space I was in than I did. The OEM meep-meep horn just doesn't do it. If they are Rivco horns they cost around $165.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
imported post

For the last year I have been the beneficiary of lots of good advice. Not a big deal but I have found a little Vaseline on the grommets keeps things easy to open and close. Just my 2 cents. I too have recently purchased a 1989 1500 - great bikes!

Mike

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

mjohnson wrote:
For the last year I have been the beneficiary of lots of good advice. Not a big deal but I have found a little Vaseline on the grommets keeps things easy to open and close. Just my 2 cents. I too have recently purchased a 1989 1500 - great bikes!

Mike
Mike all I have is K Y joy jelly, do you think it will work too??:goofygrin::goofygrin::goofygrin::goofygrin:

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Tonys96 wrote:
I've had good luck with epoxy to glue the "retainers" back on, may need to trim with a razor knife to get the proper shape.
I have been doing some plumbing around the house in the last couple of weeks. I noticed that the side cover is made of ABS plastic as is the drain pipe I have been using. And the glue for that stuff is some good, so I tried it and let it sit over night. Seemed good this morning I pushed and prodded and it appeared to hold quite well, so I guess time will tell. The next round will be epoxy if this fails.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I've used ABS several times on Goldwing plastic and it will work just fine. The black tarry ABS cement is actually ABS in solvent suspension, when it dries it's part of the plastic as the solvent eats a bit in to the bonding surface. On my 1200 I used a piece of ABS plumbing plastic, cut and shaped it like one of the pins on the side cover and glued it on with ABS cement. It was an excellent repair, never did come loose. Epoxy will hold somewhat but it takes a good prep to give both parts enough tooth for a good grip. With the ABS cement all you need to do is to scrape the paint away and degrease it. If you use a thick buildup of ABS cement give it at least 24 hours, preferably 48 to fully harden. The resulting fix is more a chemical weld than a glue adhesion.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

If it hasn't already bounced down the freeway, have you tried retreiving the spacer with one of those telescopic wand magnets, ( assuming it is metal) ?

The cement you have talked of for plumbing is excellent, just be carefull not to get it on the pretty side of any panels, it won't look so pretty if you do!!

Pete

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

She who is boss came out last night while I was looking deep inside the bike and under the bike and anyplace I could see with a flashlight, and asked what I was looking for, I described it too her as I was up to my elbows in bike. She says "is this it???" and hold up the item of my desire. "Where did you find that" I inquire, completely exasperated. " Right here between themyfoot rest and the muffler thingie" In my haste to assume the worse of Murphy's Law I did not check the simple places first, but went to the worst possible scenario's, totally forgetting the KISS rule Keep It Simple Stupid. As If there aren't already enough reasons to love this woman, what with the garage and everything, and pushing me to buy the 97 and to hell with the money thing. She is an ace whatchamacallit finder. I have said it before "WOW WHAT A WOMAN"

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

goldwinger wrote:
She who is boss came out last night while I was looking deep inside the bike and under the bike and anyplace I could see with a flashlight, and asked what I was looking for, I described it too her as I was up to my elbows in bike. She says "is this it???" and hold up the item of my desire. "Where did you find that" I inquire, completely exasperated. " Right here between themyfoot rest and the muffler thingie" In my haste to assume the worse of Murphy's Law I did not check the simple places first, but went to the worst possible scenario's, totally forgetting the KISS rule Keep It Simple Stupid. As If there aren't already enough reasons to love this woman, what with the garage and everything, and pushing me to buy the 97 and to hell with the money thing. She is an ace whatchamacallit finder. I have said it before "WOW WHAT A WOMAN"
Oh, how familliar is that story. Being a bloke, I can use my fantastic sense of spacial awareness to get me just about anywhere in the world, but I to can't usually see a doofry, or an ikiboo or even a scrinsendoobry, if it is under my nose. Helan of course will spot it immediately, even if i haven't described it!! How do thy do that:stumped::stumped:

I don't know, but she sure has saved me lots of time looking around for pencils that are behind my ear, or glasses that are pertched on my head.

Bless their cotton socks.

Pete

PS, glad she saved you some $$$$

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.