Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok, Gurus all!

I need some input on a couple of different issues with My 85 Aspy. First of all, after synching my carbs, my fuel economy went down by about 3 mpg. I attribute part of it to the fact that daytime temps here are running 106 to 112, but I also noticed a couple of backfires during deceleration in the last few days, leading me to believe that the slow air cutoff valve is due for a rebuild. Problem is, I can't find the dang thing! Is it necessary to remove to carbs to get at it?

Secondly, does anyone have a bulb number for the lights on either side of the headlight? All I know for sure is that they are 12 volt 4 watt bulbs. Has anyone tried brighter bulbs?

Lastly, is there an aftermarket fuel filter that I can pick up at my local auto parts store? Whenever I attempt to purchase parts from my local Honda dealer, I get mostly a blank open-mouthed stare. Actually, I've got three Honda dealers within 25 miles of my home and neither one of them is worth the powder it would take to blow them up. Sorry for venting, but customer service is unfortunately not a strong suit at either of these dealers.

Thanks,

TDS

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

tdsnuggs,

My mileage hasn't changed with the temps, well maybe a very little, less than 1mpg. What I do notice is performance drops off some when the temp exceeds 100. Very noticeable above 110 deg. Still has plenty of power but slower acceleration. I don't worry about it, my turbo charged car acted the same when I had it. I'm pretty sure all vehicles suffer a performance loss in extreme heat, I just notice it more on vehicles I like to drive!

If you haven't re-checked the carb sync you might check it again. Could be you need to re-adjust the air screws. Could be running a little rich.

I only get about 36mpg on my 1100. I have thought about replacing the air cutoff valves but have decided to wait until it gets worse. I can buya lot of gas for what the valves will run me.Aside from the mileage I don't have any symptoms like popping when decelerating, although the exhaust does smell a little rich when idling.

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Yeah, I guess I'll have tor recheck the carb synch again. I would expect performance to suffer a little at our extreme high temperatures. Air density is lower as temperature rises, so it could certainly be running a little on the rich side. What concerns me is that I was getting just shy of 39 mpg before synching the carbs, and now it's down to about 36. Doing the air cutoff valve on my scooter is not a big deal dollarwise, because I've only got one. If I remember correctly, there are four on your machine.

Have you found a dealer in Yuma or Tucson thats any better than the ones up here in Phoenix?

Tom

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

tdsnuggs wrote:
Ok, Gurus all!

I need some input on a couple of different issues with My 85 Aspy. First of all, after synching my carbs, my fuel economy went down by about 3 mpg. I attribute part of it to the fact that daytime temps here are running 106 to 112, but I also noticed a couple of backfires during deceleration in the last few days, leading me to believe that the slow air cutoff valve is due for a rebuild. Problem is, I can't find the dang thing! Is it necessary to remove to carbs to get at it?

Secondly, does anyone have a bulb number for the lights on either side of the headlight? All I know for sure is that they are 12 volt 4 watt bulbs. Has anyone tried brighter bulbs?

Lastly, is there an aftermarket fuel filter that I can pick up at my local auto parts store? Whenever I attempt to purchase parts from my local Honda dealer, I get mostly a blank open-mouthed stare. Actually, I've got three Honda dealers within 25 miles of my home and neither one of them is worth the powder it would take to blow them up. Sorry for venting, but customer service is unfortunately not a strong suit at either of these dealers.
TDS, the slow air cut-off is located up under the intake plenum. You really have to pull the carb/intake assembly to access it. I believe I would test it with a hand vacuum pump (my-ty-vac) before going to the trouble to replace it (procedure is in the service manual) If I remember correctly it comes in at something like 16" of vacuum.

You might want to re-check your carb sync if the problem started right AFTER the carb sync.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

tdsnuggs, I don't think most Honda dealers like to mess with bikes older than most of their employes. I thought my air cutoff was bad. The carbs have to be removed. What I found was my idle screws were gunked up, and the idle screw was screwed in about 3 turns to keep it running. When I cleaned the carbs the idle needed to be turned way bown. The backfiring went away.
When I replace my fuel filter, I will check with places that sell parts for riding mowers, and just find something that matches size and hose connections.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

I have limited experience with the dealer. I don't go there unless it's the last option! I will say the parts manager has gone out of his way several times to find me cheaper parts for my bikes. He has also given me a discount on parts that made it comparable to what I have found on-line with shipping.

The best experience I had was right after I bought my wing, and before I found this great forum. It was leaking oil out of the water pump weep hole and I went in to see how much a new pump was. Heremembered Honda has a kit to replace the seals around the pump,and took the time to find it. Only charged me about $17.00! I went in there thinkingI was going tohave to pay $120.00 for a new pump. The cheapest I had found a pump for on-line was $100 plus shipping.

The dealer mounts and balances tires for free. Tires for my wing ran me about $170. each. I rode the bike in and rode it back out with new tires. I tried to find cheaper tires but only one other bike shop in town would touch a Goldwing and they wanted more for the tire and extra to mount and balance it. I thought about buying tires on-line,and after looking into it,decided by the time I bought the tires, paid for shipping, removed the wheelsand found someone to mount and balance them, it was cheaper and easier to just take it to the dealer.

The parts manager even found me carburetor parts for my Yamaha XT500 after I was told by another bike shop they weren't made any more. They wanted me to buy a new carb.

The service department has never worked on my bike except for mounting the tires. I have askedquestionsabout a few things and the bestthe service managercould tell me was "we can look at it".For $75/hr I can do that.!

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

The manual calls them running/parking lamps, (#1034), auto part store should carry them. They have thin glass pig-tails with the filiment wired exposed on oposite sides.

The book says 3 and 4 watt, 28/32 candle-power dependinding on year. Good luck. :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

tdsnuggs wrote:
TDS, I finally got a chance to look at my manuals & that position (running) light is a very elusive item for the 85. That bulb isn't listed in any of my books (kind of strange).

The later Wings use the 1034 which is a round base dual filament bulb of about 8 & 23 CP.

If I remember correctly (might be wrong here though) those position lights are wedge base bulbs. I looked in my bulb chart & don't seem to list a wedge base bulb of 4 CP, I do show a 3 or 5 CP but no 4 CP.

I would think that if you pulled one of your bulbs you could take it to your local auto parts store & match the base style & basic size. Probably will have to settle for a slightly higher or lower CP but shouldn't make much difference in performance.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

A #904 is a 4 CP 13.5 V bulb

But we've sold thousands of #193 2 CP 14.0 V

to be used in any of the wedge base applications except the half size wedgebase.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.