Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody in Goldwing Land. I'll hit the high points and get this rolling.

My names David however everyone knows me by Capt Fiero. I'm from Surrey B.C. Canada and have not ridden a bike since I was 10 years old. (Am 36 now) Last motorcycle I had was a 125cc Hodaka Dirt Bike which I rod until I was about 14 and got into cars. So my first foray into bikes is going to be a 1200CC Goldwing. Its an 85 Interstate. Now before you tell me I am nuts for trying to learn to ride on such a big bike, let me explain why.

Roughly a year ago, my father passed away. While closing his estate of the 14 motorcycles and 11 cars the one he loved the most was his Goldwing. So I have decided that I am going to keep it. I just can't bare to see it go to some stranger. He was a member of the Portland Goldwing Club and loved this bike more than life itself. I actually grew up on the back of his 75 Honda 750 and plan to have my kids ride with me someday.

I have spent the last 15 years building custom Fiero's. My latest personal toy is a 4.9 Aluminum Block Fuel Injected Nitrous Fed 5spd V8 Fiero that I use for running around as a street strip car. So if you have a question of Mid Engine Fiero's I am your man. However as much as I know about Fiero's, I don't know anything about Motorcycles.

To put it in perspective. I had to call someone and ask how to put this into neutral. I still don't know for sure if this is Air Cooled or Water Cooled. In going through his paperwork on the bike I found a 4 page long list of work that was done at the local Honda dealership which looks like a head job / new starter and partial rebuild of the drivetrain, total was $3987, I am hoping that for nearly 4 grand in work the bike is nearly perfect.
After sitting for a year, the battery was dead, so I put a charge on it and I don't think it cranked more than once before it caught and fired right up. Took me a min to find the choke control, which I thought at first was a cruise control. I must look like a 4 year old learning to ride a bicycle with my legs stretched out for balance, but I have manged to move it around and rode it onto and off of a flat deck trailer. I brought it back to Canada with me and had a friend take it for a test ride. He said it rides really smooth. Which meant I could not resist but to take it for a quick spin myself. I didn't get out of 2nd gear, but was really surprised at the power this thing has. I was so impressed I had to google the specs and was amazed that it runs a 12 second quarter mile in stock trim. I would have thought for such a big bike it would be more like a Caddy and less like a Camaro.

As you will see in the pics we managed to lose one of the side covers on the highway. Which is frustrating as ****, but I'll just have to find another one. I have already found a local Goldwing Parts supplier in my neck of the woods.

I'll hit up the Tech threads with questions and I am sure I'll be pestering many of you with other related operating tips for the bike. Because I am gear head, once I get the basics down I should be fine, however until that point I am going to need lots of basic Goldwing Info.

Now for the pics, if you want to see all the pics of the bike I uploaded them to my personal server here,

http://captfiero.com/goldwing

However here are a few.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One odd question, assuming he did not have any mods done when it was rebuilt and assuming the motor is in good shape, just was is the top speed on this motorcycle. I don't plan on attempting it any time soon, being a novice rider, but would be curious to know.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Welcome Capt Fiero:waving:

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,616 Posts
Top speed is north of 115 mph, more in kph, eh??

That is one fine looking ride. Much prettier than the 1200 I used to own.

Take it easy, preferably go take a MSF course using their smaller bikes so that you can get the basics in hand.

You do NOT want to be learning from scratch on a big bike like this. Not that you can't, but the bike will stay prettier if you learn on a smaller one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank You for the Welcome Sethan,
AZGL1500, 115mph I would have thought it would have been faster, that really is kinda slow, but I am guessing its not really made to go much faster.

I have a few friends with Sport bikes I may use to learn a bit on, however I figure I should really get used to this thing as quick as I can. Here in BC its required to take a 2 day safety course and I think it takes 2 years to get a full Bike lisc here. 1 year as a Learners, then 1 year as a Novice and then finally a real unrestricted lisc. The insurance is really steep, looks like I am going to be paying 1600 for the bike, plus 1300 for my car and another 400 for my collector insurance on 2nd Fiero. I have a perfect driving history, no wrecks and no speeding tickets in over 5 years. I am pretty good about knowing when and where its safe to drop the hammer.

Does anyone know if there are any Goldwing Clubs in or around BC Canada?

·
Administrator
27,889 Posts
Welcome captain. At least you lost the right side cover, the left one is extremely hard to find.
It should beat 115mph easily, my 1100 will turn 125 at least but that is red line and as fast as I had a chance to get it.
And there are no internal engine modifications that I know of.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
welcome to the forum Capt Fiero :waving: Motor vehicle Vehicle Mode of transport Motorcycling Motorcycle

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,616 Posts
Thank You for the Welcome Sethan,
AZGL1500, 115mph I would have thought it would have been faster, that really is kinda slow, but I am guessing its not really made to go much faster.

I think that I said NORTH OF 115 mph......

115 is where I lost my nerve and rolled the throttle back.... it was still pulling hard and the tach was arcing upwards......

I am not going to find out how fast it might go.....

My son has an '86SEi 1200 and it is faster than the '84 1200 I owned which I "capped off" at 115 mph as being "fast enough".

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
One odd question, assuming he did not have any mods done when it was rebuilt and assuming the motor is in good shape, just was is the top speed on this motorcycle. I don't plan on attempting it any time soon, being a novice rider, but would be curious to know.
A friend got his 85 Interstate to 135mph and said it still had more but nasty shaking was starting so he backed off.
I have already found a local Goldwing Parts supplier in my neck of the woods.
straightwings.com per chance? Nice people to deal with and they stand behind what they sell.

With the new side cover you should be able to get a collector plate even though it's not totally stock.

As said a safety course would be good as it's a big step from a Wombat to a Goldwing.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the forum! :waving: Keeping the GoldWing is a fitting tribute to your dad: enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A friend got his 85 Interstate to 135mph and said it still had more but nasty shaking was starting so he backed off. straightwings.com per chance? Nice people to deal with and they stand behind what they sell.

With the new side cover you should be able to get a collector plate even though it's not totally stock.

As said a safety course would be good as it's a big step from a Wombat to a Goldwing.

Yes its straigtwings that I found online in a quick local craigslist search. (what did we ever do before craigslist, LOL)

That shaking is that what they call "speed wobble" I have never felt it in a bike, but came close to it in a Fiero at 145mph once. That was scary enough, I can't imagine it on 2 wheels.

I am hoping that Collector insurance will be far less than the 1600 quoted for regular insurance. My only issue is, am I allowed to have 2 vehicles insured under collector status with only one regular car insured for daily driving.

I think that I said NORTH OF 115 mph......

115 is where I lost my nerve and rolled the throttle back.... it was still pulling hard and the tach was arcing upwards......

I am not going to find out how fast it might go.....

My son has an '86SEi 1200 and it is faster than the '84 1200 I owned which I "capped off" at 115 mph as being "fast enough".
I am sorry if my reply came off as rude, and I didn't intend it to, I am just used to dang near setting the cruise at those speeds in my car. Heck I have "as a test only" taken my Fiero to 120mph..... while towing a trailer loaded with camping gear. Yes I have video to back that statement up. I imagine I could have gone faster but started to come into traffic. I am hoping the bike has no issue at 100mph cruise. I don't do much city driving or in this case will be riding, I do more long country stretches and plan to get it on the coast highway for a few relaxing days. I have a daughter that turns 3 on the 26th of October and a 2nd daughter to be born sometime in the next 2 weeks. So I am sure there are going to be days that Daddy just wants to get away for a few hours. I admit to having the need for speed, but usually know when to back it off to keep from getting killed.

Howdy and welcome to the forum! :waving: Keeping the GoldWing is a fitting tribute to your dad: enjoy the ride!
I hope he is looking down and happy to see my keeping it. I just wish I would have gotten the paperwork done sooner so I could have taken it for a ride in the fall rather than having to wait for Winter to Pass. I am thinking this winter is going to be a nasty one.

Hey Ken do you happen to know what the BC Laws are in regards to kids on the back of Motorcycles with their parents. Growing up I was 6 and my sister was 2 or 3 on the back of my Dads and Mothers motorcycles. Is there any chance that in todays day and age of over protective laws that, that can be pulled off. Growing up, our 62 Chev did not even have seat belts and the booster seat for my sister was an old Cassette Tape box. Now a days parents would go to jail for that type of stuff.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Nice. Really like that shade of blue.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
The guys at straightwings told me that the paint is custom so they won't have a panel in the correct colour, I thought that shade of blue was Factory? Any Idea if that is true?
It's hard to tell colours from a picture so if you didn't bring in a panel they maybe going by the fact that the lower parts of the trunk and saddle bags are painted in a custom colour.

·
Premium Member
68,164 Posts
WELCOME:waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
73,497 Posts
Hallo Capt Fiero

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.