Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 212 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

As some of you know I like to experiment with things. I am always looking for a better way. I am also very careful and cautious and would never do anything that is unsafe, or post something or say something that might cause harm to anyone whom I might influence.

I have tried a car tire several times, had a few handling issues, but found this tire made for the Mini-Cooper Car. It is a Khumo Run Flat 195/55/16. It has a bit more rounded profile and is a low profile tire. As a run flat you can drill a hole in it with a hole saw and you can ride it home.

I have returned to a car tire for many reasons. I get a much softer ride, I get a much safer tire. I do not really have to be concerned about a blow out on the rear, and they seldom happen on the front, so safety was a big reason for part of my decision.

I did not get time to really ride the tire much today, I only got to ride about 70 miles as the run flat kicked my tail trying to mount it, so I finally gave up and took it uptown and had them do it with a machine. The little bit I have rode it, I am delighted with the tire. I pushed it a bit hard in some turns too, yes there is just a tad, a bit, not at lot of extra counter steer in a hard turn needed, but you can do it with one hand, it is that slight.

I will put a few miles on it, and know a bit more, but so far, I think with the much softer ride, the concrete radial MC tire on the back is over with for me. I like the car tire, now that I have found the right one.

Kit

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
imported post

I agree with Scott. Keep us posted Kit.

I just put a new E3 on the back but am definately interested in your input because I know it won't be bias. :waving:

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

Kit,

You're one of the "sages" on this forum..If you say it's good, then I'm going with you...Please keep us posted..I'll follow your lead..

Chester Gunn/Chula, GA

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I wish I could find a bias that would fit my 1200/1500 rear end. I would at least like to try one for a little while and seen how it does.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

Kit - what is the speed rating on that tire? How does it compare height and circumference wise with factory?

Tell me more about that lift too will ya?

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
imported post

Hey Kit:

They don't show that tire size on either their Canadian or United States website.:baffled:

Do you have the name of the tire?

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

miles.from.nowhere wrote:
Kit - what is the speed rating on that tire? How does it compare height and circumference wise with factory?

Tell me more about that lift too will ya?
Here is the tire. Speed rating, very fast. Sidewall, will support a tank, but still flex, It is a run flat tire, drill a hole in it and ride it on home. As for diameter or circumference it is exactly the same, as for with, it is about 1/4 inch wider. Pretty much the same size. Kumho Ecsta SPT - RUN FLAT Tires - Tire Size & Price Details - 1010tires.com It is expensive also. Mileage was not my main concern, but is a very welcome thing also. I am not the first to try this, I have been watching this tire for a full three years now. I did not just run out and pick one out of the air, a lot of reseach, trial and error and experience of others comes into play with this whole thing.

As for the lift it is a lift made by Direct Lift. I like it as it is very stable, has removable extension platforms that I can remove such as when I want to change a tire, I can just slide the back platforms off and the whole back of the bike is out in the air, easy to work on. Front tire just as easy, put the extensions back on and jack up the front, strap the back down and makes that easy too.

Kit

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Kit showed me that tire last week when doing that mercy run for Andrew who was broke down on I-26. It has a very pronouced rounded edge to it, more than any other car tire I've ever seen. I've been waiting for him to post about it.

Hey Kit, you can put that penny back in the piggy bank now. You don't need it anymore!!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

You bought it in Canada - now there's a switch :cool: But, did you get it when our dollar was worth 0.98 or 0.78 - that's the question.

I've been looking at the Darkside for a couple of years now - looking forward to your full evaluation Kit.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

wrongway wrote:
Hey Kit:

They don't show that tire size on either their Canadian or United States website.:baffled:

Do you have the name of the tire?
Hey Wrongway: This is the tire. Kumho Ecsta SPT - RUN FLAT Tires - Tire Size & Price Details - 1010tires.com It is a 195/55/16. Identical in diameter, and about 1/4 inch wider in total width. It is a tight fit getting it past the plastic fender mud guard as there is only about 3/16 inch of clearance with a regular tire. (I soaped the tire and fender to slip it past the fender and once on the studs, looks and fits fine. )

I did not just run out and say I want this one. I have watched others use this tire for about three years. A whole lot of trial and error, and experience from experienend riders has had a lot to do with my decision to try it.

As it will come up very soon, there will be the video showing the old style square car tire sitting on its edge......I suppose I need to take a photo of this one and show how it has more contact with the road than a MC tire. I will maybe do that tomorrow. I also run it at 30 psi. this is also a pressure selected by others more experienced with it than I.

The tire fits perfectly on the rim, pops into the rim and the beads seat very well. There is absolutely no danger of it ever being unsafe due to a rim fit problem. This is the 1800, it has a rim made for radial tires, and all tires have a bit of variance so they will fit a lot of different rims. That question will come up too, got my flame suit all ready to go. :D.

I will run it for a month or so, and then be ready to say exactly about it . Kit

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
Kit showed me that tire last week when doing that mercy run for Andrew who was broke down on I-26. It has a very pronouced rounded edge to it, more than any other car tire I've ever seen. I've been waiting for him to post about it.

Hey Kit, you can put that penny back in the piggy bank now. You don't need it anymore!!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:
I still need that penny, my front tire is about gone, I have a solution for that too, but one thing at a time.

Kit

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

Thats interesting Kit. I didn't like the look of the car tire in a video clip I seen a while back. Too squared off and when the bike leaned you could see it was riding on a slim width of rubber. A proper bike tire will be more rounded and have more rubber in contact with the ground. If the Khumo fits the bill then I may consider trying it at the next tire change. Thanks for the heads-up.

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
imported post

Kit,I hope you are as happy with that tire as I am with the one I have. The ride quality alone is benefit enough to go dark side but I also like the handling and traction and would be pleased with twice the life. I'm running 41 PSI just like the bike tire and it still rides way better. I'm running a 205 55 so it also has the benefit of odometer/speedometer correction. I don't know how close the speed is but the mileage is right on now.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Hey Kit -just a question - I was told last week by a tire shop that I could not alter the original tire size supplied on my car when new since the insurance companies are now using this to deny claims. I was told to check with my agent before I considered making any changes. Could this be a possibility with your project. It's one of those things that you'd hate to find out about later ??:waving:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
Hey Kit -just a question - I was told last week by a tire shop that I could not alter the original tire size supplied on my car when new since the insurance companies are now using this to deny claims. I was told to check with my agent before I considered making any changes. Could this be a possibility with your project. It's one of those things that you'd hate to find out about later ??:waving:
And a very good question. One that I was very concerned about for a long time. I did talk to several insurance companies, and a very good attorney that I have known a long time. I got a lot of different answers, a lot of information, most of it hearsay.

The job of all insurance company folks is to not pay a claim, for any and all justifiable reasons that they can actually back up. I do not think the installation of any tire can be justified to turn down a claim by an insurance company. Even if so, they would have to prove totally that the tire was the cause of the accident.

Somehow the insurance hearsay became a tag along thing with the installation of car tires on motorcycles. It is all hearsay.

How about putting floor board on a bike instead of pegs.......what if one of them hits your leg and you have an accident, it was not original equipment, what about handle bar risers, they are aftermarket equipment, How about a luggage rack overloaded, kinda see where I am going with this?

I have insurance with State Farm Insurance. It was a two week conversation with them by email daily about six months ago, with even varied opinions and answers from them.

Summing it up, Scott my insurance guy, the one who owns the local State Farm company, said this. We have no right to tell you what kind of tire you can use. We insure SUV and other vehicles daily that have oversize balloon size tires on them. We know they are prone to cause a vehicle to tip over easy. We still insure them. But we do check for Bald tires at an accident scene, if a tire is bald, that is a concern and in some cases can be used to deny a claim.

Normally they are not going to say anything about aftermarket items and or any tire on a bike, unless it is bald.

Naturally any situation if taken the right direction or wrong if you will, can be used by a smart attorney by either side. If one can plant enough doubt about anything one can lose or win whether right or wrong.

Last but not least ,I would put this challenge to anyone reading this . I have myself spent hours searching for an actual factual case, where even one insurance company had denied an accident claim based on the use of a car tire on a motorcycle. Or for that matter the use or installation of oversize tires on vehicles. I have never found any such information. My local insurance agent has no information on this either. If this does in fact exist, and is not just hearsay, I would like to know, as it might bear significantly on my decision. Thing is I cannot find even one case.

This is a very good question and a very legitimate concern. I am 99 percent sure it is a groundless claim......but not totally. I could have missed something, and I would think it wise in different areas and countries to make sure you do talk to your insurance agent.

I am simply going on what works for me locally, and what I have found out for myself.
Liability for a shop installing tires can always take a bad turn, like the woman who ordered a hot cup of coffee at McDonalds and was given one. She spilled it on herself and sued and won. That is a true case, and made national news. Anything can happen, not something that I really worry about.

Kit

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

I agree Kit, you will not likely ever get a definitive global answer. After my old insurance company came up with the phantom claim & then tried to increase my rates..... let's say I'm a little suspicious & cautious. :waving:

1 - 20 of 212 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.