Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well, after sitting for five years, "It’s alive"!!!

I finished the rebuild of my carbs today with a kit (& some help) from randakk and the help of you fine people. Installed them, got everything ready, checked it twice, called fuel on and ignition hot. I hit the starter and shazzamm… She lit right up… It idled good and seemed to have some power. They do need synchronized and when I can find some gages I will do just that. Other than that, IT’S ALIVE and running. I can’t wait to get everything else done (too much to list) so I can actually take it for a short ride to work the bugs out. It was a good day… Ray…

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

Too great. Sync'ing the carbs is way easy. Just be ready for spring. :)

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

OK, I was troubleshooting my lack of a temp and fuel gage and when I went to start the bike, it wouldn't start. Just a click from the solenoid. Got out the meter and everything is working and I'm getting 12vdc to the starter. Pulled the starter and hooked it up on the bench and it would barley turn over and mostly just hummed. BAD Starter $%^!! That thing was brand new when I installed it the 24th of January. I should have walked away when things seemed good… Oh well, something more to do I guess…. This thing is going to nickel and dime me to death… But it’s fun trying to figure this old girl out. She reminds me of the wife, yes—NO—yes—NO!!! Well maybe—NOT!!! Hehehe…

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the 7volt regulator that feeds the gauges might be out. As for the starter don't panic just yet, pull it out and take a look inside it might just be a hung up brush or the wire come off the terminal inside. You have some incentive now that she's come to life. Theseold bikescan be a real discouraging, frustrating pain in the a$$ but the satisfaction is great when you succeed. Hang in there Ray, you'll win yet!

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

What Exavid said,,,,,,,,, keep at it. We always like to hear about an old girl being reborn.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks guys, that starter of mine is brand new so I will be exchanging it for another new one. Also, I have noticed that the starter has a hard time engaging. I did put new oil and filter in it, but it's like the cluth doesn't want to catch every time. After sitting for so long, I was thinking of putting some Seafoam in it to try and break up some of that old sludge. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Yeah, I was looking at the wireing diagram and see that the 7v regulator is the only thing in common with the two gauges. I checked the float and it reads good on the meter so it has to be the 7v. I just can't imagine both guages being bad... after work I will check that. Thanks for the help... Ray...

exavid wrote:
Sounds like the 7volt regulator that feeds the gauges might be out. As for the starter don't panic just yet, pull it out and take a look inside it might just be a hung up brush or the wire come off the terminal inside. You have some incentive now that she's come to life. Theseold bikescan be a real discouraging, frustrating pain in the a$$ but the satisfaction is great when you succeed. Hang in there Ray, you'll win yet!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.