Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-patch-warning-windows-10-boot-problems-as-windows-7-av-clash-widens/

it seems that Win7 which has been relatively stable, all of a sudden is crashing with the release of the April 9, 2019 "Security Update".

my Win7 PC has had all updates blocked for more than 3 years, and it has not had a single problem in that time. AVAST continues to check on things, but it has not come up with anything worse than 'pups'...
and of course, it continues to want to sell me on a "total security package".

I think the best security package is to stay away from Microsoft.

on the flip side, us Linux users can apply updates, when, and IF, we chose to do so.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-patch-warning-windows-10-boot-problems-as-windows-7-av-clash-widens/

it seems that Win7 which has been relatively stable, all of a sudden is crashing with the release of the April 9, 2019 "Security Update".

my Win7 PC has had all updates blocked for more than 3 years, and it has not had a single problem in that time. AVAST continues to check on things, but it has not come up with anything worse than 'pups'...

on the flip side, us Linux users can apply updates, when, and IF, we chose to do so.
All I use is Appel stuff,NEVER has a security issue but is a Linux base system and their updates are free of charge

·
Administrator
25,759 Posts
I'm sure you recall I had that happen to me a couple months ago. MS "updated" mine (how I don't know since I have had updates blocked for years) and almost caused a complete crash. Had to restore it to a previous date to get functional again, then went to Linux, a decision I don't regret.
Avast was good for a while then they got pushy like AVG did before them.

Reactions: AZgl1800

·
Magic Moderator
4,528 Posts
I'm stuck with Windows7Pro as it is the only thing that will run the Pogo game site. For everything else there's Linux.

·
Son of Bronson
122 Posts
I recently set up a new desktop computer.
I'm running Linux Mint 19.1.
So far it has been completely painless and successful.
I still have a laptop with Win7 "just in case I need it".
But this is working so well with Mint that I doubt that
I'll ever go back.

·
Registered
424 Posts
While I understand the mindset, and have made my own forays into Linux, I think at this point I'd rather make my own bio-diesel than try to inter-operate with my clients using Linux. Printer drivers, scanner drivers, online systems of all kinds, ERP's, wireless network troubleshooting, etc.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
While I understand the mindset, and have made my own forays into Linux, I think at this point I'd rather make my own bio-diesel than try to inter-operate with my clients using Linux. Printer drivers, scanner drivers, online systems of all kinds, ERP's, wireless network troubleshooting, etc.

Linux is no where close to Windows for being able to just "Plug 'n PLay"....
Microsoft has forced all vendors to provide them the correct drivers, or they will not allow them to play on Windows..... and guess who still has the "Every man's desktop" ??

But, for a personal one-on-one PC, for the person who is willing to learn what is under the keyboard, Linux can't be beat for reliability "once it is configured and working".

I just went thru a little "training session" teaching my 'GnuCash' checkbook app how to work with my bank... well, almost work with it, I am downloading the .CSV files for Quicken format and it imports them slicker than snot on that doorknob...... and it ignores Duplicates!!!! hot damn!!! :grin3:

But, Linux Mint is the closest thing to Plug 'n Play that you will find in the linux world for the 'Everyman' desktop.

Cinnamon emulates the Windows desktop environment down to using the same exact kybd keys for the shortcuts.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I do love GnuCash, and I have a copy of it here somewhere. But, the accountants all need QuickBooks, or "standard' software.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do love GnuCash, and I have a copy of it here somewhere. But, the accountants all need QuickBooks, or "standard' software.

I bought Quicken a couple decades ago, and never updated it.
why? it worked for me, all I needed was a simple checkbook that talked to the bank.

Then two things happened, not sure if they coincided or stacked up together?

The banking system changed the backend protocol, and Quicken quit working for me.

So, off to get a new copy:
oops! it is an Annual Subscription fee now, not a One Time purchase price.

screw that, I quit and used .CSV into a spreadsheet.

but that is messy, not way to exclude dupes except manually.... argh!!!
so, I dropped keeping a checkbook for several years, signed up for Instant SMS texting for every transaction, with email verifications.

I looked, said "that is valid" and life went on.

But, recently, the friggen IRS decided to change up how I file my disclaimers for income, and I needed to be able to SEARCH fast, and the spreadsheet was not giving me the type of results I wanted....

so, enter GnuCash and my learning session with it.

used it just last night to verify that a vendor had not double billed me.
clicked search, and it instantly displayed every debit, all was clean...

that was when I had to download 3 years worth of bank records......
not a fun thing to do with a spreadsheet, setting it all up correctly.

GnuCash stepped me thru the "simple checkbook" 1-2-3 and wallah, it was loaded up, and I started searching, and got the job done.

·
Registered
45 Posts
When it comes to a GUI based desktop I have several times tried to switch to several linux flavors only to come back to windows because the performance. While its true, updates tend to brake OEM machines because they do not plan to support their equipment for more then 90 days after you receive it, if you build your own system with semi current hardware these issues are non existent. I just built a new i9 based custom rig that is bullet proof. Before that I had a 4th gen i7. Auto updates on Win 10 for 3-4 years, never a problem. I have family that go out a buy a used Dell and it seems to brake with every update. Quality of hardware really affected your mileage. (That sounds familiar for some reason)

That being said, for server based applications, nothing beats a good debian or Ubuntu image. I colocated my SuperMicro 1U server recently with Proxmox (Debian 9) Running a VM for my webserver (Ubuntu 18.04), Phone (Freepbx [Cent OS, I think]), Media Server (Ubuntu 18.04 + Docker), and a Windows 10 VM that I can RDP from anywhere and use. Dual CPU 12 Cores 24 Threads, 128GB RAM.

·
103 Posts

Windows is a Pile of Junk in my Opinion.

It's like say the plumber builds your house with pipes that have holes in them

and they keep cramming goop in each hole to plug the leaks until finally the pipe is plugged up to not even flow water.

·
103 Posts
When it comes to a GUI based desktop I have several times tried to switch to several linux flavors only to come back to windows because the performance. While its true, updates tend to brake OEM machines because they do not plan to support their equipment for more then 90 days after you receive it, if you build your own system with semi current hardware these issues are non existent. I just built a new i9 based custom rig that is bullet proof. Before that I had a 4th gen i7. Auto updates on Win 10 for 3-4 years, never a problem. I have family that go out a buy a used Dell and it seems to brake with every update. Quality of hardware really affected your mileage. (That sounds familiar for some reason)

That being said, for server based applications, nothing beats a good debian or Ubuntu image. I colocated my SuperMicro 1U server recently with Proxmox (Debian 9) Running a VM for my webserver (Ubuntu 18.04), Phone (Freepbx [Cent OS, I think]), Media Server (Ubuntu 18.04 + Docker), and a Windows 10 VM that I can RDP from anywhere and use. Dual CPU 12 Cores 24 Threads, 128GB RAM.

I like your valid point on good hardware makes a difference.
But from my point of view , Im running a box that was specifically designed for windows , and its OEM All In One and it runs linux bazing fast all the time , and never hickups. SO I respect your comment greatly but why cant Microsoft do the same on this hardware ?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
haha ha... yup, that is why I like Linux.

I am right now using my newest ASUS TUF Gaming laptop on Win10 because the mint install went to crap with the 19.1 beta version.

I have 19.2 downloaded now, and when daylight and my eyes join up together, I will burn it to a new FOB after I do the sha256 bit check.

I will copy it to my DATA fob first, move it to my 18.3 Linux laptop so that I can verify everything in Linux, not under this POS Win10 crap. I don't get good results out of RUFUS, it has ruined more FOBs than it has worked well with.

once the ISO crashes, that FOB cannot be accessed again to make it usable.

·
Magic Moderator
4,528 Posts
That means bye-bye to Windows10 if it works?
19.1Xfce ran on the laptop Dennis got and the Dell E6410 that I currently use.

·
103 Posts

Because People are against change, or too lazy for change and Billy OS is banking on it.

·
Magic Moderator
4,528 Posts
Thank you for clearing that up, I was thinking it was a different type of device for the newer machines with UEFI.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts