Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Some of you might remember the post where I asked for your thoughtsabout my engine cutting out.

I finally got around to working on the bike yesterday and discovered the cause. The fuel pump diaphragm had been repaired using silicon sealant, or high-temperature RTV. Apparently gasoline reacted with the stuff and made it very soft. This caused it to separate and temporarily clog the output orfice of the fuel pump.

Attached is a photo.

Attachments

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It's nice when you find a real clear cut problem isn't it! :clapper:

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

exavid wrote:
It's nice when you find a real clear cut problem isn't it! :clapper:
Yep, it made me pretty happy to see all that gunk in the fuel pump. I had another fuel pump on hand and replaced it right away. I haven't had a chance to ride the bike yet, but I'm sure it's fixed now.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

And make sure you replace the fuel filter. No telling how much of that gunk is inside your filter.

I had to replace my fuel pump, it started peeing on my foot through the weep hole. I opted for a new one though.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
And make sure you replace the fuel filter. No telling how much of that gunk is inside your filter.

I had to replace my fuel pump, it started peeing on my foot through the weep hole. I opted for a new one though.

Raymond

The fuel filter is upstream of the fuel pump so it wouldn't make a difference, but knowing that the pump was repaired the way it was,I installed another fuel filter between the pump and carbs. Luckily nothing ever left the pump.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

axelwik wrote:
The fuel filter is upstream of the fuel pump so it wouldn't make a difference, but knowing that the pump was repaired the way it was,I installed another fuel filter between the pump and carbs. Luckily nothing ever left the pump.
Don't worry about it, if anything did it's not lost, you'll find it in the carbs!

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

exavid wrote:
Don't worry about it, if anything did it's not lost, you'll find it in the carbs!
It's not sputtering yet,but I'm crossing my fingers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.