Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all

So i came here to find out about the Goldwing.

So can People goldwing owners, tell me about the goldwing, i wana pass my test and go stright on to a goldwing, people say noooooooo dont just get on a middle range bike then goldwing.

My bike is 300 pounds in waight and iv had everyer and i can haddle it. i can tound the ground on a goldwing unlike the X9 with its high seat hight.

What are the wing controls funcions, profile. filtering MPG, speed. town use . charatrerics.

Thansk from SOLO

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I commute and travel on my 1500.
It can be a handful at slow speed but you just keep it closer to perpendicular than you might a lighter bike.
I wouldn't want to take my test on it though.
Doing a slalom on a whale is more than one wants to go through at 5 mph.
If the forks are tight and the steering head is up to par with the right tires are on it, it is amazingly agile over 10 mph, however.

·
Administrator
26,173 Posts
imported post

I went from a VT500 to a 1100 interstate with no problems then the 1800 which I find easier to handle than the 1100. The 1800 does not feel as top heavy as the 1100.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

I am 51 years old, and for all intents and purposes, my 1984 1200 Aspencade is my first bike. I bought a 1983 Suzuki GS 650 about a month prior to buying my Wing, and it has been "kicked to the curb"...The Goldwing has been my "learner" bike..If you go with a smaller bike, you will be very,very sorry my friend. I'll tell you how bad it is...I don't even like to drive my car anymore.. I'd rather be riding my Goldwing.. Speed??....pretty much as fast as you want to go.....unless you regularly like riding a motorcycle at over 100 mph...and even if you do, the Goldwing can satisfy that need...Comfort??......don't even get me started.. Some folks call this bike the "Cadilac" of motorcycles..hmmmm...a Cadilac could only wish that it was as good as a Honda Goldwing....Technology???...my bike is almost 25 years old, and the technology and engineering built into this bike makes folks scratch their heads....Handling??? She's big...and she's a little bulky...and she'll throw you a curve ball or two when you're trying to make a left hand turn at a busy intersection, or trying to find a parking spot at Wal-Mart, but she gobbles up the "twisties" pretty nicely...And now for my favorite part..the stereo....OMG!! With my cassette adapter hooked into my Ipod...FABULOUS!!

As for me, she's my Porche without the payments...or the upkeep...or the insurance....and yes, the women do love a Goldwing man...I've gotten the looks when I pull up to a red-light....I see it in their eyes.....yes, some of the gals might be a little bit older, but can you spell MILF.......And of course, I pretend like I don't notice....but it's still fun..

Find yourself an older, inexpensive Goldwing and find out for yourself...You will NEVER regret it..

Chester Gunn/Chula, GA

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
imported post

I"m with you Chester, I'm 44 years old and this year I bought my first bike. 81 GL 1100. After spending the summer on it, I rode my brother's bike, 93 Suzuki Intruder 800 and it seemed like such a small bike compared to mine.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

Goldwings are not really made for puttin' around town, especially the top-heavy 1500. But if you want to do some touring, test ride a few wings & decide what you like.

It is a wonderful solo bike, as well.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I ride my 1200 everywhere, everyday. It handles as good as I want it to. Will take the curves better than I can. Will go down the interstate at 80mph all day long and give me 40mpg with the wife and all our gear on the back.

One thing that everyone here knows, but I don't think has been mentioned is that these girls are not only top heavy, but after they get over past a certain point,,

They are going over. Don't be discouraged if you let a Goldwing lay on it's engine guard bars in a parking lot.

We laugh and joke about it here on the forum all the time.

There are two types of Goldwing riders, those who have laid them over and those that are going to. :baffled:

Or even better, those who have and admit it, and those who have and lie about it.:cheeky1:

I took my test for my M/C endorsement on my 1200. It took me two tries to do it after practicing. If you take your time and get the feel of a Goldwing, I don't think you'll ever regret getting one.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

Amen on the "laying the Goldwing's down"...twice in my own yard...no, three times...Thank God no one was watching...

I echo all of my fellow addicts sentiments..

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Don't take your test on a Goldwing...

most states have a MSF course where the bikes (350 to 650 cc variety) are supplied, and many, if not most states also use this course to satisfy the testing requirements.. so I'd check that out, and go that way..

After that, you are on your own.. I think you could make a gold wing your first bike if you could get it home (hopefully with someone else riding it) and then taking it to a big parking lot (church, school, walmart, etc.) and practice, practice, practice... you will remember the exercises that they had you do for the MSF course.. just practice those for several hours and you will be familiar enough with the extra weight and handling issues..

YOu'd still be better off starting with a smaller bike... maybe a well priced used one that you can get most of your money back out of.. but a month or so of that and you could be ready to move up to a gold wing...
Good Luck..

Edit: and I see you put your locaiton in now.. much of my discussion was for the USA, so listen to the UK writers... cost (i.e. insurance) may be a big issue..

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

I think you will find the price of insurance to ride a Goldwing will be prohibitive to you, especially if you are a learner rider in England. You could check with the BMF to get a better quote but I think Carol Nash has it tied up.

My 1500 is 800lbs dry, with a tank of gas and me on board it is close to 1100lbs. I live in a small city with narrow streets with 40kph (24mph) and 50kph (30mph) speed limits, my Wing can be handful in heavy traffic especially if it is raining cats and dogs.

Once on the open road it comes into it's own and can eat the miles up at an incredible pace. Goldwings, whichever model you choose will satisfy any long distance ride with aplomb, comfort, handling and storage space and music on the go.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

I second all that. or is it 3rd , 4th?????? The best there is, especially the 1200's( IMHO ).;););););):D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I have read all whats been written and i read with my mind saying .....arhhh i want one now.

To clear 1 or 2 things up.

In pounds or K what Is a fully loaded Goldwings waight, like mine is 176kg or 300 pounds.

Also just to note i do have a speaker set up on my own bike too :)

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

More pictures for injoyment LOL

And here is my screen wiper :

Doctor who needs my bike :)

Clering a path :

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

The average GoldWing weighs at *least* double what you're riding right now. My 1100 is 800 pounds or 362kg.

Please don't get one yet. Get more riding under your belt with a lighter bike (manual shift), get some skills first. Wait a couple years. Plus you're going from an X9 Piaggio scooter (automatic) to a Goldwing with double the weight and many more levers to get used to? No WAY.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

i can do gears, but i understand what u mean, i was thinking if i had to get some thing kinda half way, well get what my dad had a Suzukie GS 850G

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

Solo,

Welcome to the forum from just up the road.

A GL1800 weighs in at roughly 350 Kg and handles like a dream. The wings all have a very low C of G so once they are moving they are fine - people (including very experienced) tend to come a crpper when manouvreing. The 1800 is much easier to handle than earlier models, simply because it is so much newer. I really liked my 1200, but it was a complete pig below 10 MPH.

Get your test passed and then look around. I know quite afew people who did the Direct Access and then jumped straight on a wing. If you have the confidence, go for it. Otherwise, if you can find a decent GS850, it would make a decent half way bike as you will get classic insurance with it.

Its worth checking out www.gwocgb.co.uk which will give you contact details for Yorkshire Wings. I also see you have a Squires sticker on your current bike. The Yorkies turn up there fairly frequently and I get in there every so often as well.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

I would think for riding around the UK the Piaggio would be more practical and more fun. Riding a Goldwing around town is just work IMO so I use a smaller bike for that and save the Wing for trips. Nothing beats a Wing for packing all your camping gear and ticking off the miles on the highway.

There are no special skills required to ride a Wing, it's just like any other bike but heavier.

Q

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

A standard GL1100 is pretty light feeling, low center of gravity. The Interstates and Aspencades feel much heavier due to extra bags, trunk, 25pounds of Type II radio, CB ect and fairing; all of which offset the low center of gravity the bike had.

I agree, the GL1500s are too much around town at slow speeds.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

welcome to the forum paul,

i would go down to my local bike shop for some info, if your thinking of riding a big bike you will need to take a "direct access " test, they should tell you what you need to know and give you some numbers or leaflet as to who's doing the courses, i have heard they are scrapping the direct access, but it could be hearsay, if they still do it, you would take it on a 500cc or something simillar, that way you can ride a big bike, if you take the ordinary bike test on a 125cc you will be restricted to 33kw, search through the dvla website and see what you can find out

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/inf31.pdf

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

X9 the people on this forum are giving you great advice. I drove a 'Suzukie GS 850G" for many years and it was completely dressed like a wing, but it is not like a wing. You will do very well to get experiences and that will lead to know how.

Go to a wing dealer and experience the wing in the showroom, straddle it a feel the weight between your legs, if you are tall and long in the leg it may feel comfortable, but do yourself a favour and try it. Try walking the bike and backing it up under your own power to see the weight, if some one will let you pilot one under controlled environment try it, but be sensible and understand the clutch and throttle response.

Putting a properly dressed wing down is easy and can happen quicker than you think, I ve dropped mine 5x since my stroke with zero damage, but the strength needed to lift it upright is essential. The taller you are the better off since your body height and leverage can be used.

If you are like me with smaller inseam your legs are going to have to be strong. But as long as you know what you are handling, it is a very nice bike. Above all makw sure you understand the physics involved between you and 350 Kg of mass especially at slow speeds. Enjoy the process!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.