Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

While in Gatlinburg, TN (sp?) last weekend, I was nearly run over by a car that just didn't look. Well, I pushed the horn button and what came out only made me giggle. It sounds like something I would hear on a cartoon. "Come on, speedy old buddy. Let's get the bad guy." "Yeah, vooooooommmm!"

Anyway, I have questions, understanding that I might start a bit of a debate with the second one. I plan on replacing this device that Honda calls a horn with something that means it...so:

1) Where is the horn?

2) what types of horn replacements have you guys used with great, and loud, success, and how much trouble is it to install the one that you use?

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
imported post

Remove the lower chrome air dam in front and you will see a horn on each side right under the cornering lights.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

There are 138 Db replacement horns that will fit in the same place as the originals if you don't want to put on external air horns. I've lost the link, but I think I saw them at Chrome World. I was going to replace mine, but I guess I'll have to wait for the next bike now. I found them doing a google search for "GL1500 horns".

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

I installed a pair of Fiamm Freeway Blasters on our '84. They are a quantum improvement over the stock "RoadRunner" beep.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
imported post

Don't bother with the horns from Chrome World not any better than the stock. I'd go with what the others are saying. Iused the1800 horns. Had to cut the plastic trumpet end flush withrest of horn, then make some some small extension brackets to bend to fit original mounting place.They work great.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i mounted air horns on mine i put the air compressor in the ferring where the cb would go and ran lines and mounted the horns under the boxes the light bars cover them up you cant even see them i am going to put on a air tank on one side and a semi truck horn on the other air psi should reach about 60 or 70 pounds i hope would make a heck of a honk i think plus i can put a small air hose on it make it alot easier to air up tires and stuff only side effect is that the compressor would run quite a while if its the regular o'l 12volt one you use on your car a buddy of mine is going to hook me up with a better one that is still 12volts around 300 to 400 decibles for a normal semi horn hehehehe no one is going to like me when they cut infront of me!

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,963 Posts
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
I had the same experience, and replaced mine with a pair of FIAMM Freeway Blasters. Very pleased with the result. I hit them, and people's heads swivel.
Hey GS, do you have a good source for those? And a pic of your install?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.