Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

"1982 Goldwing, been sitting 2 years. $300 cash"

This somewhat spare Craigslist description along with a dim indoors cellphone picture taken from about 20 miles away begat an early-Sunday AM email to the seller. I got a call back within 2 minutes and within another 2 a deal was struck and I was making a 330-mile round trip in the ol' F150 to begin my next labor of love - refreshing a lonely 'Wing.

The previous owner turned out to have sustained a back injury that precluded muscling around an 800# bike (plus wife). After a couple of years he came to the sad conclusion that his GoldWing days were behind him. His son wanted a beer garden in the back barn, and so it was time to send his baby to a new home.

I got a pleasant surprise or two when I showed up to inspect the bike.

- It's an '83, not an '82, so all the improved '83 goodies (brakes, 150mph speedo, cast wheels, etc.) were in the offing.
- It has Progressive suspension front and rear
- The title was clean and clear
- It had nearly-new Dunlop Elite (front) and Metzler ME880 (rear) tires
- It has an Alpine detachable-face CD deck in a CycleSound housing as well as an Alpine V12 amp in the left saddlebag
- It had every possible geegaw and addon I've ever seen for the GL1100, and some I hadn't
- It came with a box of extras, such as two windshields, passenger armrests, and rearview mirrors
- It has a trailer hitch
- It has an original factory shop manual included

It was dusty and a smidgen cobwebby, but was obviously a solid Texas bike kept indoors and owned by someone who abandoned any pretense of recovering investment by purchasing add-ons. A scuff here and there, to be sure, and I fully expect all the normal sitting-around things to be on the table - battery, fork seals, filters, fluids, carbs, valve adjustments, timing belts, etc., but overall a much better value than I'd driven all that way for.

The first sunlight it's seen in many a day:

Home it came with me, looking like a hopeful puppy peering at me through the rear window. The next morning I trotted down to the auto registration office and transferred the title into my name. With the State of Texas now agreeing that I was the legal owner, I unloaded it into my shed (it's a small, modest, portable shed that I rather grandiosely refer to as my shop), then began taking careful stock, pictures, and making a budget.

[to be continued]

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

Congratulations! What a find.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

Looks like a lot of bike for that price Brad. Should make you a nice bike and a fun project.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I began a semi-thorough inspection of the bike with an eye toward forming a budget. As previously noted, I fully expect all the normal things. I was now on a quest to quantify the one-offs.

The Texas sun was unkind to the speakers. These will be replaced with waterproof, marine-spec speakers for long life.

I'm absolutely convinced that Honda was and is incapable of producing polymer reservoirs that last longer than a trip around the block. Time to put one of these on the list. It's surprisingly expensive at $60-ish.

Quick fun fact: What's the #1 motor vehicle operator activity? If you said "picking their nose", you'd be correct! Fresh grips it is.

Fork seals confirmed:

The usual outcome of chrome-plating aluminum instead of polishing it. This will be glass-beaded to remove the plating and then polished.

The rear shocks are not leaking and the boots appear intact, although I'll need to re-secure them into place.

The carbs lurking, waiting, ready to lay waste to hours of time.

I'll need a new rear brake pedal (I have one) and new footboard inserts.

This will be going away.

Brand-new but dead.

What originally looked like corrosion after further inspection turns out to be sort of a crusty coating of yuck left behind by what used to be gasoline. The tank will definitely be removed and cleaned within an inch of its life.

The only damage I could find anywhere - a crack in the fairing. Thankfully, Honda made these out of the plastic equivalent of bubblegum (ABS) so a solid repair should be easy.

The following picture tells me three things - neither the oil filter bolt nor drain plug are rounded, there is no evidence of water pump leakage, and I will almost certainly be replacing the front main seal and camshaft seals when I do the timing belts.

Inspecting the normal area for GL1100 frame corrosion confirms that this is a rock-solid Texas frame and exhaust with nary a hint of cancer.

And last (but first on the to-do list!) - dirt, dirt, and more dirt. Dirt EVERYWHERE. I expect the wheels to take an evening each to clean properly.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

I'll give you $400 for her, a nice $100 profit. hehehehehehe You found a deal of a lifetime!!!

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

You got a beautiful bike for a great price. Bring her back gently and then ride her like a scalded ape :)

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

Some guys have all the luck.......:sobbing:

But not me!!!!:(

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

What a find...........................:waving::waving:

Be gentle with her and she will love you for it................

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

Wow, well done on the find. She looks in great condition far better than mine, wanna swop.
Whats the mileage? Have fun doing the resto, doesn't look like you will have may probs
Thanks for all the photos
Bo

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Check your tire date codes. Over 5 years need replacement.
I thought I got a deal on my 83 Aspy @ $500.
Enjoy the resto.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

TrikerBo wrote:
Wow, well done on the find. She looks in great condition far better than mine, wanna swop.
Whats the mileage? Have fun doing the resto, doesn't look like you will have may probs
Thanks for all the photos
Bo
The mileage is 95k, but that doesn't bother me much (it IS a GoldWing, after all!). Discussions with the PO revealed that he was rather fastidious about maintenance and changed with AMSOIL every 2,000 miles, etc.

Before any work (or more importantly - money spending!) gets underway the engine will have a plug reading, compression test and leakdown test. I will slowly turn the back wheel on the center stand and test the transmission shifting, final-drive lash, etc.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

newday777 wrote:
Check your tire date codes. Over 5 years need replacement.
I thought I got a deal on my 83 Aspy @ $500.
Enjoy the resto.
You read my mind! I already did - just over 2 years on the rear and just under 3 on the front.

$500 for an '83 Aspy is a smokin' deal. Just the parts on those are well above that. I would have made that deal even if it had a useless engine. I would have kept 100 other 'Wings on the road with the parts sales. :)

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Nice find. Should be a nice project.It is defenitely in nice shape to start with.An advantage that we in Wisconsin don't have. We usually get rust.

Just work up your budget, add it up carefully,,,,,,,,,,

then double it and you will be fine. ;)

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

Congrats Brad ! Thats one heck of a find. I wish I could find treasures like that !

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

sure is nice to see another old gal put back on the road. have fun take your time and enjoy the ride. looks like you got a winner there.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Very Sweet ! By the looks of that tank , your going to have fun with the carbs.
Is that an acorn nut on the oil filter ???

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

FeButter wrote:
Just work up your budget, add it up carefully,,,,,,,,,,

then double it and you will be fine.       ;)
I hear ya. Past experience has taught me to be very mindful when making a budget. I even go so far as to calculate mileage to pick up parts at the IRS rate.

I add in for shop materials, cleaning supplies, and then I usually just toss in a healthy chunk o'slush fund just 'cause I know SOMETHING will come up. I'm going to document the total cost in this thread as I go as a guide (or a caution - LOL) to others.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Ginsco wrote:
Congrats Brad ! Thats one heck of a find. I wish I could find treasures like that ! 
You bear much culpability with your rebuild thread.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

machinehead wrote:
Very Sweet ! By the looks of that tank , your going to have fun with the carbs.
Is that an acorn nut on the oil filter ???
Carbs don't make me sweat. I have a soda blaster, ultrasonic cleaner, TwinMax (soon to have a Harmonizer), and lots of experience. It's highly satisfying to take badly-running carbs and turn them into a bike that runs like a Singer.

Yes, it's a chrome acorn bolt. I told y'all it had bling I'd never even seen before. This guy even put bling UNDER the bling where only he would know about it. :smiler:

·
Administrator
26,541 Posts
imported post

Is that a light or one of those license plate reflectors under there in front of the exhaust? Looks like you need a shifter seal too.

That's an even better deal than the one I got for free.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.