Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm not sure about the bigger wings, 1500 and up, but trying to find something in 1100 and 1200 fairing compartments at night can be a pain. So I ofund a great remedy for this.

In the upper back of the compartments I drilled a hole 1 1/4 in diameter and installed a utility light, the type used to shine down on license plates. There were a couple reasons for this choice. First is that the lights just snap into the hole, there is no need to drill holes for screws or mounting brackets, also the bulbs upper half is covered by the chrome frame, this meand that the light, which is translucent, only shines downward, not straight out or up into your eyes.

This can be purchased at any auto parts store, I bought mine at Walmart for $2.96 apeice. At first the size may seem excessive, but it fits in neatly and out of the way and is NOT excessively bright. There is no ground wire attached to this as it was intended to be grounded by it's installation into metal. You will have to solder a ground wire to the rear of the casing and run your own ground.

I wired them together and to the hotwire that feeds the memory for the radio. This allows me to turn the light on without having to bother with my keys first.

Then on the part of the fairing that angles towars the inside I drilled a hole 5/8's in diameter and installed a button type doorbell switch. The reason for this is that the button type, like the lights, just snaps into the hole, no need for screws or mounting brackets.

The pic looks big, but in actuality it is only a little over 5/8's wide.

The reasons for this type of button are that it is small and unobtrusive, but mainly because the light is only on while the button is held in, remove the pressure no light.

Now I have my compartments gently lit at night and not shining into my eyes, I don't need to get my key on turn on the ignition, and there is no danger of the switch being left on and draining the battery.

Now there is one thing I should add. The button has a small light bulb inside that is always lit, it's small, but over time could drain the battery a bit. There are two little tabs in the back of the light, if you pry them open, you can open it up, cut the two very thin wires and remove the bulb if you want, I did. If you chose to leave the light in I doubt that is would be able to put much of a drain on the battery. Then just re-assemble the light and press the two tabs down again. Also be sure to leave enough slack in the wiring to be able to remove the compartments if necessary.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

sandcastcb750 wrote:
If the bulb/switch is tied into the ignition switch somehow, it shouldn't drain the battery with the motor off.
Unfortunately it only has the two leads on the back of the switch, no way to run a separate line for the bulb. The way it is set up you can use the light without having to go to the ignition switch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.