Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've decided to change out the front amber running/turn signals to led. I wanted to make sure what base was on the bulb. I grabbed the wires to tuck them back in the fairing and discovered an extra key, zip tied to the turn signal wires. I checked it with my ignition key and they match.

I already have two keys, but now a third . . . tucked away in my fairing. So, if you want to steal my bike . . .

OK, I was thinking of leaving my rear turn signals as a bulb, since they are only on during signaling, but changing my front amber running/turn lights to led. Will the regular bulb in the rear provide enough resistance for my flasher if I'm running leds in the front signal?

I'm working on adding a trailer (changing all bulbs to led), plus with my 35 watt running lights, I'm wanting to save power wherever I can. I've already replaced rear running/brake light with led.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Chuck, you will need to install one 4 ohm, 50 Watt resistor in-line with each LED light you install in the manner you're wanting to.

It would actually be easier and cheaper to change all 4 and the flasher unit as the last time I looked, the resistors will run you about $25 per.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Some of the newer led's come with the resistor built in and also you can get a digital flasher unit that will work with all led's.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

The Lake wrote:
..... Will the regular bulb in the rear provide enough resistance for my flasher if I'm running leds in the front signal?...
Maybe.. .. Test it... flash rate probably changes depending on fasher used.

i.e., take the front bulb completely out, then try it.. (The LED bulb will act similar to having no bulb there.)

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,200 Posts
imported post

Mike you don't want the resistor in series with the LED, it needs to shunt the LED lights so as to provide enough load that the flasher will work.

Only need one per side. Me? I would just leave a regular lamp in service so the flashers work. Cheaper, but then I'm a cheapskate.

Or, get a digital flasher unit that doesn't care what the load is.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

I'd suggest coughing up for the digital flasher unit. Adding resistors defeats the low draw from the LEDs and thus your power saving method.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

Why change the flashers
Just diconnect the running wiring, put an LED cresent around the flasher blub and let that be the running by reconnecting the wire to it.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

morram wrote:
Why change the flashers
Just diconnect the running wiring, put an LED cresent around the flasher blub and let that be the running by reconnecting the wire to it.
I think I follow your drift here, I did a quick search, but found no LED crescents . . . anyone know where to find?

Chuck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.