Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Your oil filter may be coming out of the same factory even the name is different.

The oil filter you use may be inferior if you pay less for it.

According to a guy I know who went to oil filter school.At the school a guest speaker who had worked for most of the oil filter manufacturers over 30 years gave the skinny on filters.

According to him filter media comes on rolls.There are ten grades of filter media for oil filters. a number1 being most porous and 10 having best filtering characteristics.

At each factory a run of a certain filter will finish.Then a new brand name will be set up for a run.That may mean a new roll of media.Maybe a 2 maybe a 9.It just depends what they need for any given brand name.Some have tighter pleats some not so tight.

Some companies sell filters that are made around the world and put there name on them.Often with there own design.Often a generic disign.

Now what he saidabout some of the brand names werebrands such as Wix usually uses a grade 6 paper.They make the napa gold for napa.It is grade 4 paper.Fram uses a grade 2 paper and a very cheesy pressure relief valve.Many have exploded..Donaldson sells there "nanofiber media" to Amsoil and it is a grade 10 filtering media.Amsoil contracts to a few different filter makers but the media is used on all there filters.

What do you think?Want the orange filter or not?

Buckethead

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

Interesting stuff alright although on my next oil change I intend to go with a K&N oil filter .I've read up on them and they seem fairly serious.

Eric

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

Oil Filter School. Never heard of it.

Just don't forget that when the super-teeny, microscopic holes in the expensive filter paper get plugged up and the bypass opens - zero filtration. There is a trade-off between flow restriction and filtration.

I didn't go to Oil Filter School, but I've never had an oil related failure in 30 years of running orange filters on and off-road, and putting several vehicles over 250,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

I haven't heard of oil filter school, either. But that doesn't mean anything. Many brands and qualitys off the same assembly line sounds normal. The manufacturer builds them to the customer's specs. I know for a fact that Sears Diehard batteries are made at the same place as Walmart batteries, and many others. Just different specs. :waving:

John

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

yeah its the same in Europe .I've been reliably informed that Peugot and Renault cars are made in the same factory

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
imported post

I am assuming that he means oil filter seminar instead of school. I can't imagine a "school" dedicated to oil filter education! I can see going to a 2 hour seminar though. Yeah, I have used the orange ones for years and never had an engine or oil filter related problem. I use Walmart sometimes too. Other than the filter for the M/C, I pretty much use whatever is on sale. As long as you are using a quality oil and changing it every 3-5,000 miles, you shouldn't have to worry too much.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

buckethead wrote:
According to a guy I know who went to oil filter school.At the school a guest speaker who had worked for most of the oil filter manufacturers over 30 years gave the skinny on filters.
....Donaldson sells there "nanofiber media" to Amsoil and it is a grade 10 filtering media.Amsoil contracts to a few different filter makers but the media is used on all there filters.
Curious, does the guy you know sell Amsoil? I don't doubt that their stuff is good, but I do question whether all their info on their competitors is accurate. ;)

John

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

I did a one week hydraulic maintenance class that was very intense and a day was spent on filters specifically. Papers, flow ratings and all that was covered but no brand was ever mentioned. All that was explained was what to look for. This sounds like a filter company putting on a seminar to sell their product, don't put much credence in the info. Al

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

What is an oil related engine failure?Ive never heard of one under normal conditions to tell you the truth.Factory spec oil if clean and filtered cant hurt an engine.Dirty unfiltered oil will degrade the mating surfaces over time.That could lead to failure.Running the oil level too low,yeah that could do it.Running under a load in 120 degree heat that might do it too.There were lots of engine failures at Sturgis 3 years ago during intense heat.

The school he was referring to was a one week school that cost a few thousand to attend.They learned how oil was blended the additives, greases, gear oil tranny fluidsect.

I cant imagine a totally plugged oil filter running normal change intervals.Not with a fuel injected vehicle anyway.Years of neglect,running without an air filter in dusty conditions,running too rich .Normal conditions,not likely to ever plug the filter.
The Nano fiber media must work well.In my situation I ran my Cummins diesel powered Freightliner with one Donaldson nano fiber oil filter for 63,437 miles, Amsoil in the crankcase.Oil analysis came out excellent.The Lubriguard company said still good keep using.I changed the filter and went another 32,+++oil analysis "still good keep using current oil.
I believe it is engrained into peoples heads about oil change intervals.Jiffy Lube commercials "every 3000 miles" use it or lose it"Europe is 7500 miles as a standard.

Bottom line great oil and a great filter absolutley can take you many more miles than a cheap filter and and a budget oil with a non aggresive additive package.
Of course you wouldn't want your engine to outlive the body it is encased in.

Cheers,Buckethead
1982 peugeot 604td 344,778 mi.21 oil changes to date since new.
1981 suzuki gs1000g.93,117 mi.33 oil changes to date since new.
yes i keep records.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

buckethead wrote:
The school he was referring to was a one week school that cost a few thousand to attend.They learned how oil was blended the additives, greases, gear oil tranny fluidsect.
I'm sorry for the obviously wrong assumption on my part. I've just heard too many sales pitches and your intial post had the look of one of those, not by you but by your friend.

John

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
imported post

At least they got the flow right this time :D.

About a month ago I was working on a hotrod for a guy and went to the parts store for oil and filter. When I asked for a fram the parts boy (didn't look like he was old enough to shave even), looked at me like I was stupid and begain to explain that fram was junk and he has had several "expert mechanics" tell him they had seen them collapse :shock:. I am shure the boy ment well and he seemed truly convenced of what he was saying. So I informed him that automotive oiling systems (All that I am aware of anyway) have the oil pump ahead of the filter, Meaning that the filter would be pressureised. That makes it king of hard for them to collapse :gunhead:.

If you want some more info on them try this link.

http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar/oilfilters/index.html

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
imported post

I've seen the Fram cut open and compared to the Wix/Napa. I wouldn't put the Fram on your lawnmower.:shock:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,149 Posts
imported post

I used to sell Amsoil stuff back in the early '80s. Went to a few of their seminars.

While they do have a good product, their seminars are more to getting their sales people hyped up, than being totally based on fact.

I have also seen a few discussions on various oil filters cut apart and pictures of the different makes. The one that I recall most vividly was a few years ago, and in that one article, the Wix filter was almost like cheese cloth. That's an exaggeration of course, but compared to Mobil and NAPA filters, there was a huge difference in the filter media.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
imported post

Okay, that's different. It wasn't just an "oil filter school." It included oil etc. I can see a week on that! I am sure it would be educational and interesting. I wouldn't mind attending something like that just for the heck of it.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Well well.stirred you all up didn't I.If you want unbiased opinions on lubricants and such.There is a publication named Lubes and Greases.(i keep mine with the latest Victorias Secret catalog).They accept no advertising.At there own expense they do things like buy 10 brands of oil off the shelf and have them sent to various laboritories for testing.They seem to find a lack of quality control with some of the famous brands as tests reveal scrimping occasionally on the additive packages.
I have no sales pitch.Im not selling anything.Your all smart enough to decide what you think is best.

And I uses some frams on my aircooled bikes in the 70s and eighties.On two occassions the oil filters self destructed.
The filters separated into 3 pieces..Even the local John Deere dealer has two Orange oil filters on display that self destructed.Ive heard enough stories and with personal experience to fork out a little more money for a quality product.As the old saying goes "you get what you pay for".
Buckethead
P.S. The automotive oil filter by Mobil is made by a comapny known as Pur.Possible the home water filter company,Dunno.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

buckethead wrote:
.... According to him filter media comes on rolls.There are ten grades of filter media for oil filters. a number1 being most porous and 10 having best filtering characteristics.............Donaldson sells there "nanofiber media" to Amsoil and it is a grade 10 filtering media.Amsoil contracts to a few different filter makers but the media is used on all there filters.

What do you think?

Buckethead
I think he went to Amsoil "brain-washing" school..

There are many more than 10 grades of paper, and I don't remember that they are just graded 1 to 10..... and as many manufacturer's of such..

Interesting topic, but there are also engineering text books on filtering that don't bias towards one main brand. I think one of the top filters now is the Purolator Pure One. And there are even different qualities of filters within a single name brand... for example, the Fram TG series uses a high quality paper that is very good...

Won't explain, but yes oil filter media can collapse with the oil pump upstream.

Finally, you can actually have a filter that filters "too good" at least in the sense of particle size. The goldwing produces particulates of all sizes (from a fraction of a micron on up). Most produced are less than 10 microns and essentially are harmless to the engine (but turn the color black). If a filter were designed to remove all of these, it would either have to be very large or otherwise quickly clog and go into bypass mode.. Point is, there is more to lubrication oil filtering than "paper grade"...

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

I have no problem using a Fram filter or some other filters. I think it is more about marketing and choice.

Who really cares what oils or filters they use at the Jiffy Lube. I guess you can ask for piece of mind. Just pay them and move on.

Who really knows how their engines are truly wearing. Is your engine really wearing that bad to where you really know you need a "good/better" filter, and how is the average consumer suppose to make this determination. Then there is the debate on oil types and the 2k - 10k oil change interval. I would hate to think I need to replace my filter every 2k thinking it is going to get clogged.

Sure, I have my preferred oil filter type, oil grade and name brand, and oil change intervals for my vehicle(s). But, then everyone, and I mean everyone has there own ideas and there is no commonality and everyone makes different choices. Maybeeveryone is dumber than dirt - not.

If you are satisfied, I am satisfied -Piece of mind.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
imported post

buckethead wrote:
Now what he saidabout some of the brand names werebrands such as Wix usually uses a grade 6 paper.They make the napa gold for napa.It is grade 4 paper.Fram uses a grade 2 paper and a very cheesy pressure relief valve.Many have exploded..Donaldson sells there "nanofiber media" to Amsoil and it is a grade 10 filtering media.Amsoil contracts to a few different filter makers but the media is used on all there filters.

What do you think?Want the orange filter or not?

Buckethead
I have both a Goldwing 1100 and a vtx 1800 cc bike, I have been told by my bike mechanic that the "Orange" filter is ok for my 1982 1100 cc Wing but he told me Not to use it on my Vtx. He said that the flow rate was not good and that in the vtx bikdes not enough oil goes to the Cam shaft and the bearings suffer... not sure about this, just wanted to pass it along...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.