Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

A long trip

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Dragoon 
#1 ·
imported post

:cool:
Next Saturday, if I get my wing back on time, I will take a ride I have been thinking about for three years now. I plan to hit the Pacific coast highway in Delmar and ride it all the way to the golden gate bridge. I will then find a off the beat and track route home. I am most excited. I will use the superslab through LA because following the PCH is hard at best and the only real interesting part is Palos Verde’s peninsula. I plan on camping along the way at camp grounds. I consider this to be my x-mass present to myself. I have several other routes planned for the spring, but with three jobs, it is hard to get away. I expect three days at most for this trip. I would love to meet up with folks in CA along the way and also don’t mind company on the ride or any part of it. I hope to get to know my older self better. I am very excited. Have to rent camping gear but expect that won’t be an issue. Any ideas for must sees along that route would be appreciated.

#4 ·
imported post

3 days is just long enough to whetone's appetite for being 'on the road'! ;)

For renting camping gear check out any of these REI stores. near you. Not all stores rent the basic gear you might need.

A 3 man/person tent would be a good size to rent, as a 2 man/person tent isusually not big enough for 1 and their gear inside. I use a 4 man and find that just right, unless I want to go 'fast n light'.

By renting, it'll give you a good ideafor what 'works for you' if you decide to buy some gear in the future. :action:

Dusty

#6 ·
imported post

Popeye wrote:
This is ususaal a help...if you haven't already seen it.

Fill it out & print it out. Without a good list, I'd forget too many things. You can check/uncheck the things you don't want to print. Be Safe.

http://micapeak.com/checklists/mclist.html

That was great. Thanks. I have it booked marked. Anyone else traveling soon should check this out.

Again, many thanks

Dragoon

#7 ·
imported post

Dusty,

That's not a B.C. campsite, is it? If it is, who stole the nice picnic tables B.C. is famous for? And how do you strap those chairs on your bike? I know I can't get those on my 1200. Got to get me a 1500!:action:

Dragoon,

Sounds like a lot of fun. Did the trip down the coastline from North to South back in the 80's. One of my most memorable of all time. Sitting here looking out the window at our pure white landscape I'm filled with envy. Be sure to take lots of pictures and post them here so us snow-prisoners may live vicariously through you.:waving:

#8 ·
imported post

Triggers sweet memories.......

Here's the next to last picture of my wonderful old "96 Aspencade, taken on the Clearwater River in Kamiah, Idaho, just days before our deer collision in Michigan. We, too, went with a four-person tent, a Eureka Timberline, one of the best $150 bargains left in America! Trying to figure out if I can pack it on the ST1300. I think I can, with one of those cool U-packs made out of cordura to strap on the back rack...... put the sleeping bags in the "legs" of the U, and the tent and pads in the back.

I loved that 1500.... had 80,000 miles on it before it was totalled. Bought it with 8,000 miles in 2001.... rode it at least 72,000 miles....totalled it this year.....got $8000 insurance!Seven years; 72,000 miles; all for about $2000! Not bad, not bad at all!

Attachments

#9 ·
imported post

Can't offer any advice, other than to say that riding the PCH was one of my 'dream' rides. When I lived in Denver, I wanted to do the PCH. 5 of us from Denver, rode our Honda Shadow Sabres to Vegas, Bakersfield, picked u another rider, then on to San Louis Obispo, up to San Fran, over to Sac, Reno, Wyoming and back to Denver. Two months later, i took my wing (by myself) to Vegas, LA (family reunion) down to San Diego to visit friends, and back thru AZ, Grand Canyon/NM, and back to Colo. Did each, roughly 3000 mi each, in 6 days ea. I'll always remember the two rides.

My next dream ride, is this summer. Going to Natural Bridge Va, for a Honda Shadow Sabre national meeting, then down to Key West. (on the Wing).

So, WTF. Just enjoy the ride, the people you meet along the way, be safe and have fun (and take plenty of pics).

Have a safe and fun ride

Dave

#11 ·
imported post

Here is an idea...
Take the Hwy 126 to Santa Paula. Get on Hwy 150 North. You can camp at Steckel Park. Continue to Ojai on the 150, through town and take Hwy 33 North over the mountains. Stop at the Pistacio farm/store in Ventucopa, just before the Hwy 166. You can take 166 West to Santa Maria and continue on to Hwy 1. This is a scenic route we love. From Santa Maria, this is the pretty start of Hwy 1 to the north anyway. It beats Hwy 101 slab riding all the way to the Santa Maria area.
On your return.... Exit Hwy 101 onto the Hwy 154 at Los Alivos, "just South of Santa Maria". Take 154 South past Cachuma Lake. Before heading up the grade, look out for Paradice Road. Turn Left on Paradice. You will turn right on Stagecoach Road. "This is worth the stop"!!! You will come upon the "Cold Springs Tavern", an origional stagecoach stop from the 1840's.:cooler: You can continue Stagecoach Road South and it will take you back to Hwy 154 and eventually Hwy 101.
Have a great ride!

:action:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.