Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've been surfing and dreaming of places to see if and when we get to go to the meet and greet.

Turns out one of my have to visit sites is only open two days a year and one of them is the first Saturday in October.

The Trinity nuculear test site is opened to the public on that day. Paved roads, photos permitted there, but restricted on the rest of the base.

You can actually stand on the site it all started.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Is it down to half life yet?

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

They say the short time you spend there is no worse than flying across the country on a jet.

Although some of the green glassy looking material left from the blast is still hot and must be left alone, the area itself is totally safe.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

GO FOR IT, Man!!!

The White Sands is right there and is pretty cool!

Ruiodoso is one of the nicer towns in New Mexico.

I highly reccommend going to Carlsbad Caverns, That is one of the coolest things I have ever seen.

New Mexico also has the V.L.A. (a bunch of Big dishes for listening out in space), it's a surreal place to ride.

On my list is to get over to Florida and watch them launch the Space Shuttle. It looks like I am going to have to do it soon though, NASA isn't planning too many more missions with the shuttles.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
imported post

Would love to hear from anyone coming to New Mexico. I have lived here for a very long time and might be able to assist you in your travels. Also if all goes well this winter, I might take a ride with you. Bob

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,153 Posts
imported post

Hey Rider15, I used to live up in Cedar Crest on the east side of Sandia Mountain.

Too bad we didn't hook up back then. I had a couple of Yammies then though, can you forgive me? :cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
imported post

I can forgive you. I had one of them too. Yamahammer 500 enduro type of motorcycle. Shortly after it and I came to parting of ways (It went one way and I the other) I got rid of it(well after the cast came off) Got the cast coming down from the Peak. Nice of tailgators to help me down. LOL

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

lostinflorida wrote:
Although some of the green glassy looking material left from the blast is still hot and must be left alone, the area itself is totally safe.
I have some on my bookshelf. They call it Trinitite. Melted sand from the heat of the first fission weapon. Guess I should put a geiger counter to it. I don't sleep with it. There's a gift shopnorth ofthe Trinity Site that sells it. :waving:

My father waspresent for the first fusion weapon test back in the early 1950s on Bikini Atoll. He's not with us anymore.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

I recently rode from taos nm to durango and it was pretty nice. You get to cross the rio grande <on a bridge of course> lolJB

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,749 Posts
imported post

Billy the Kid stuff around Fort Sumpter, and Space Alien stuff aroundRoswell are good for quick stops. Not something to make an entire trip for but fun.

Golden Aspen Rally (Ruidoso) is a hoot but I believe it's held the same weekend as the NASSIR.

Carlsbad Caverns N.P. is a must see!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.