Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dunlop SP-Winter-Sport-3D-DSST-RunOnFlat-175-60R16

I have long felt that this tire would be the Cat's Meow for the GL1500 bikes...
Finally someone has installed one, and is happy to report that it is great.
The smoother, more rounded edges makes it feel closer to a standard M/C tire, than it does for the flatter Car Tires that we first tried out.

A bonus for this user, is he is short statured at 5'9" and the bike sits about 1.0" lower, he can flat foot his feet now on the ground.......

The report is over on GoldwingDocs

·
Administrator
26,571 Posts
That is a tire some used several years ago but it became unavailable. Again goldwingdocs is behind the curve.

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
I do remember the Dunlop Wintersport being used for a bit and then becoming unavailable but I dont remember it being a ROF tire. Maybe they redesigned it and are now releasing it as a ROF. I also dont remember any ROF tires being available in a size that would work on the GL1500. When darksiding became a thing on the GL1500, I Originally went with the Fedetal Formoza and liked it. When it came time to replace it, the Formoza became unavailable and the only option I could find was the Austone. I did that but never cared much for it. It was slightly taller than stock and I was never able to get rid of the rub. The 175/60R16 was slightly shorter but I felt it made the GL1500 peppier especially off the line.

I see that the Dunlop Wintersport is available at Tire Rack and they just advertise it is in stock which means they have a good supply

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
I just put a ZeeTex CT1000 , 185X75R-16, 8 ply tire on my 88 GL1500. Chart shows it to be about 0.1" inch smaller in diameter than the Austone. My Austone had about 28,000 miles on it and I never really liked it..Running 51 pounds in the ZeeTex and am really happy with it. Rear of bike wiggled with the Austone, not with this tire. Runs smooth, quite, and handles great.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just put a ZeeTex CT1000 , 185X75R-16, 8 ply tire on my 88 GL1500. Chart shows it to be about 0.1" inch smaller in diameter than the Austone. My Austone had about 28,000 miles on it and I never really liked it..Running 51 pounds in the ZeeTex and am really happy with it. Rear of bike wiggled with the Austone, not with this tire. Runs smooth, quite, and handles great.
51 psi sounds a bit high to me, did you do any experimenting at lower pressures?

when I had the Michelin Primacy Alpin on the rear of my 1800, 50 was like riding on rocks.

I ended up at 26 psi... it is a Car Tire and rated at 34 psi for normal loads.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Haven't played with the pressure yet. Only put about sixty miles on the tire so far. The tire is rated for 1,984 pounds at 69 psi. cold. Really seems to ride softer than the Austone did with 42 pounds in it and the rear end feels planted.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haven't played with the pressure yet. Only put about sixty miles on the tire so far. The tire is rated for 1,984 pounds at 69 psi. cold. Really seems to ride softer than the Austone did with 42 pounds in it and the rear end feels planted.
you will need to put a few miles on each pressure change... like a hour or so each time,
or even a full day's ride.... it took me a while of changing it up to decide on 'what I like'

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
I know when I was running the Federal Formoza on my 1500, I had to run that at 46-48 psi or I would get the occasional oscillations from rear end. It wasnt a run flat. When I ran the Avid Envigor run flat on my1800, I would keep that around 30-32 psi.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Planning on a trip in a couple of days. About 650 miles round trip. Should get a better feel for it. Will report back.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
Odd. I never had an Austone rub anywhere and I loved the slight drop in RPM on the highway and easier center stand use. But, I am a bit taller than some (average-ish at 5'10" with a 32" inseam) and don't weigh much (under 170. At least before the Corona induced lack of exercise). Over 30k on each of them. Stupid driver rear-ended me before I could wear out #3...

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
The rubbing was a quite common complaint and many had to modify the inside wheel well to cure it. I am 5'11" with a 33 inseam and come in around 185. I also didnt care for having to get the rpm's up and slip the clutch a bit to get rolling. Using a 175/60R16, it was very easy to get rolling and was very peppy off the line. Yes the rpms would be slightly higher at speed but surprisingly it had no effect on mpg.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The rubbing was a quite common complaint and many had to modify the inside wheel well to cure it. I am 5'11" with a 33 inseam and come in around 185. I also didnt care for having to get the rpm's up and slip the clutch a bit to get rolling. Using a 175/60R16, it was very easy to get rolling and was very peppy off the line. Yes the rpms would be slightly higher at speed but surprisingly it had no effect on mpg.
I agree with the MPG not being effected.
I have several times left my 1500 and 1800 both in 4th gear and run a long ways before I noticed it....
comes from gawking at the scenery and looking at the dash lights, nor trying to make triple sure it is in 5th.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
Doh! I do remember it rubbing the inner fender liner a bit! I thought you meant hard parts! Sorry!
My bad! I do remember a zip tie taking care of the problem.

Anyway, sorry, I know this is about the other tire anyway.

Reactions: Pwhoever
1 - 13 of 13 Posts