Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Yesterday was a chilly 32 degrees, a good day for enjoying hot coffee and the new pellet stove, but that was not to be. A message left on the phone from my mother that they had a problem with the shower and she couldn't hold her arm up long enough to fix it. Well, one cannot be a son and ignore a mothers plea for a working shower so.... The problem was that when I got out to the truck I noticed the clear sky & clean roads, and they only live about 28 miles away. So back inside to bundle up. With sweats, double socks, a sweater and my insulated hunting jacket and overalls, I was off. I also opted for the fullface helmet instead of my preferred open face.

Going down the road I took note that the air was clear and cold, but the roads were wet, perfect weather for black ice, I'd have to take it easy andkeep a close out for that.Going through a couple of small towns along the way I couldn't help but notice the looks I was getting from people, a look of shock and comdemnation for being insane, I just smiled and enjoyed the ride. Finally, I made it there, the garage door was open, so I just pulled in and made for the coffee that was always in the kitchen. Well, I found out that my mother had gone shopping with a friend and there was nothing in the bathroom to indicate what the problem was, in fact, when I turned on the shower it worked fine. Confusing, but to be sure I called my mothers cell phone to get a better idea of the problem. The problem as it turned out wasn't mechanical, but rather with the family getting together today, she wanted to get the hard water stains cleaned out off the shower walls.

I was here to clean the shower.

So, I cleaned the shower. It didn't take long to see the problem, the iron stains were hard, so I broke out the big guns, shower cleaner, ammonia and a 20 to 1 bleach all at the same time, then the room got a bit dizzy. Now I know what you're going to say here, and you're right. But remember, I just rode all the way here in 32 degree weather to clean a shower. What do you expect?

Anyway, the shower was cleaned, a cup of coffee with my dad and the ride home. Now a wing is a big bike, it gets even bigger when you're so bndled up you can't throw a leg over the seat without a couple hops to get there. Anyway, the ride home was cool but uneventful and soon I was pulling ito me driveway, which had the bare remnants of snow, so I pulled in carefully and came to comfortable stop in front of the garage door. A quick to nod to my neighbor as he walked up his driveway, and then it happened, my foot slid sideways about 2 inches.

When my slid the angle of the bike changed and I knew what was going to happen, it was just a matter of time. A quick look to the right revealed the neighbor walking away, then the front tire slid out a couple inches and the wing was at a serious angle, the neighbor was almost to his door, I let the weight of the bike on my right knee, grabbed hold and tightened my back, the neighbor was inside, my visor was fogging up and I let the wing settle to the ground.

OK, the wing is down, the neighbor is inside, I'm breathing heavy and the visor is getting harder to see through. I lean over one hand on the engine guard and one hand on ..... something and I lift. Big mistake, the something was the chrome rail to the backrest, it came off the wing settled down and now I'm laying on top of the the wing. And the visor is getting harder to see through. I think enough to reach over and push down the kickstand and turn the engine off, get up and try again. I hear the sound off the neighbors garage door opening, desperation now. Both hands reach out through a fod that has blinded me, I find something for each hand and lift with everything I've got. Success it's up and on the stand as I hearthe neighbors car come out, he has no idea.

Now that the stress is over a sudden thought hits me, I raise the opague visor and remove my sunglasses, it's so much nicer when you can see what you're looking at.

Anyway, a cup of coffee, two apologies to the wing, a warm garage for the night and all is well with the world.

Today is the family get together that I had to clean the shower for (I still don't understand that), and guess what, yesterday was only 32 degrees, today it's a balmy 36...........:action:.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
665 Posts
imported post

Richardrwg wrote:
Success it's up and on the stand as I hearthe neighbors car come out, he has no idea.
Glad to hear you had a good ride. But I'm disappointed with the fast pick up of the wing. It is just not right that no one got to see you pick it up. :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Or even better drop it while people are looking. When I had my 1500 I got caught by some uneven pavement at a stop sign ... and everyone got to see it. :baffled:

You would be surprised how fast a person can pick one up in those circumstances, get on it and disappear.:(

Bob

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

I have days like this......but never more than seven in a single week! Glad things worked out as well as they did, maybe in the long run, you broke even? The main things really are: you were a good son to your mother, and took care of her right away, and most important...the neighbor is still clueless!! You're livin' right, I'd say!

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I'm glad to hear that you got in a good ride, even if it was to clean your mother's shower. But I understand that too. My wife daughter and I help take care of my mom.

I hate hearing that you let the wing slip out from under you and that getting it up turned out the way it did.

Seems like every time I've let my 1200 lay over and rest :cheeky1:,

someone was watching. Oh well, They are watching too when I pull in from a long ride with that million dollar smile on my face.. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.