Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

We’ve all heard that there’s more to a properly tuned bike than just changing the oil, filters and plugs, but just what does this entail? I have to pull the carbs (well 95%) to replace a broken choke cable, so I figure while I’m in there I’ll do a complete tune up on the old girl. Try and get her running at her best.

So, what all should you do to do a proper tune up?

·
Premium Member
10,010 Posts
imported post

off the top of my head i would suggest timing, optimum plug gaping,resistance in the plug leads, cleanliness of carbs inside and out, fuel delivery pressure, lenght of primary pipe comming off the heads.....i could go on but i think i have said enough.....:)

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

That kind of depends on her condition and how far you want to go. Is her maintenance up to date? I combine a lot of Preventative Maintenance with my tune ups. If she is due then maybe a brake fluid change out, Coolant change out, Timing belts, Fuel Filter change, Carb Synch.......

As I said it is up to you and what she is due for. you can go on and on..

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I see where you guys are heading...I changed the coolant and thermostat last year, so that's ok, along with all the other fluids. Went through the brakes and bearings this spring when the new tires went on. Now I'm just thinking about performance and fuel economy. Trying to get the best gas mileage i can out of her, not make her the fastest bike on the road.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Probably the biggestthing that I feel most folksneglect on Carburated bikes is a good Synch. I do one at least twicea season. That may be a bit of overkillbut I ride a fair amount on older high mileage bikes and it make a large difference in the state of tune.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
imported post

taffy australia wrote:
off the top of my head i would suggest timing, optimum plug gaping,resistance in the plug leads, cleanliness of carbs inside and out, fuel delivery pressure, lenght of primary pipe comming off the heads.....i could go on but i think i have said enough.....:)
OK you Mad welshman, please tell me the optimum length of primary pipecomming off the heads?. I have'nt quite found the best length and I'm just about out of adjustment range.;)

·
Premium Member
10,010 Posts
imported post

gkiesel wrote:
taffy australia wrote:
OK you Mad welshman, please tell me the optimum length of primary pipecomming off the heads?. I have'nt quite found the best length and I'm just about out of adjustment range.;)
leave it with me...............:D:D

front 2 pots are 13.7 inches and rear 2 are 12.2 inches to collector

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.