Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I recently bought a GL 1200. IT was having problems turning over when hot. I added coolant, got the heat to sit at 6 bars when good and running, and then replaced the spark plugs, oil, and oil filter. AND MAN, was that oil and filter bad. It had been garaged for a while. I was having starting problems when it was hot, but they seemed to be resolved now. Could it have been because one of my spark plugs was burning bad?

THanks to everyone who gives advice, you all have been verrry helpful.

Anthony :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

If new plugs cured it then maybe the old ones were gapped too wide from old age.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
imported post

Anthony, Hopefully that was your problem, but the 1200 starters are known to turn over much slower when good and hot. If you search the archives I'm sure you'll find some good info about starter problems.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

... I just had  my starter re-builton my 1200/forums/images/emoticons/sad.gif The brushes were down to about 1 mm, and the starter was filled with grunge, powdered carbon,and an  yucky oily mess.../forums/images/emoticons/tongue.gif.. I guess after 20 years... in anycase... it really turns over well, now.. I would recommend that  with any starting problem on a 1200... (Two decades old) that at least cleaning ,and possibly re-building of the starter be at the top of anyone's list/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif SilverDave 

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Hi Anthony. You didn't say if the starter turned the engine more slowly when hot, if it does then the starter will need stripping and cleaning at least. Theres lots of threads about this very same subject on the forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.