Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi All

I have followed the previous posts re what type of oil to use and wondered if what i intended to do was 'sensible'

Within the next couple of weeks I will be reinstalling an engine in an 1100 that has been off the road for at least the last 3 years and had some work done on it.

My intention is not to ride it on the road till all the work and tidying up is completed about easter 2009 and i thought I might just fill it with flushing oil for the tests and trials in the garage and then replace oil and filter before it gets taken on the road with the thought that it would help to clean out the engine while it was not being worked hard.

Am I totally on the wrong track or does this seem like a good idea

Thanks for any comments

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

What's flushing oil? what do you save by using it..Many add a solvent like MMO or seafoam to their oil to flush out the system..run it 100 miles or so and then put in the regular oil.

Running the engine in place usually you never get it up to operating temps..during testing unless you are doing test rides too.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,657 Posts
imported post

If I read you correctly, you won't be riding it at all until you have finished all repairs.

In that case, I would throw in a can of Sea Foam in the oil. That will help to dissolve the varnishes and sludge that may be on the interior surfaces and valve lifters.

At that concentration, I would not want to ride it hard though. But for what you are suggesting, it would work well.

I would not bother changing the oil, just add the Sea Foam.

:D just don't forget to change it out before you jump on and go riding :D

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the replies guys but unfortunately I am in England and we dont have (I believe) access to things like seafoam, whatever I do I will have to put oil of somekind in and the 'flushing' oil is quite cheap compared to 'normal' oil to use as a cleaner

Info for our friends in the colonies LOL

"Flushing Oil is a combination of highly refined light mineral oils and detergent/dispersant additives to enhance removal of sludge and lacquers. Flushing oil can be used where a system’s history is unknown or the service fill lubricant may have been used beyond its oil drain interval. This product can also be used if the service fill lubricant has to be drained because of a contamination problem."

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

I wouldn't use a flushing oil in an engine with a wet clutch, unless it specifically states that it can be used in that application.

If you don't have Sea Foam over there you can query this site because I believe somebody has posted the contents of Sea Foam off a data sheet. If that doesn't work then!!!

You have a couple of choices. 1.Change the oil & filter ( use a motorcycle specific 10-40 oil). You can then some automatic transmission fluid to your oil ( 1/2 litre or less) 2. Use a diesel oil 15-40. The transmission fluid & diesel oil are both highly detergent and will help clean up the engine.

Before I started it I would go to the nakedgoldwing site as there is good info on bringing back to life an engine that has set for a long time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.