Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

When I changed out the left Head Gasket on my 83 Aspencade on the left side (Shifter Side), I torqued the head at 40 Ft. Lbs. The P/O had recently put a new Head Gasket on the right side roughly 400 miles before I purchased the Wing., and I am getting a lot of noise here. I checked the torque, and it was 50 ft. Lbs on #1 and #3,
I rode it some, and reset the valve settings 2 times so far, engine cold, going by the specs in the manual. I figure a cam lobe may be worn. My concern is, if the P/O torqued at 50 Ft.lbs, could this interfere with the oil sending orifice on the #1 and #3 head? I have plenty of power through all gears, my timing is exact, I have 165 through 168 lbs compression. Not much of a loss.
When I first start it cold, it sounds good, but after it warms up, it sounds like I have an exhaust leak on the right side, on the #3 cylinder. No Steam, but the normal smoke when off of the center stand. I took off the valve cover, getting good oil, and no valves seem to be bent.. The P/O had rebuilt the carbs himself. I have not re-synced them yet. I've put on around 700 + miles since I installed the new head gasket flushed the system, and new Delo oil. So far, nor more leaking coolant into the oil. That is one relief. I do know the P/O had to call in for a helper that runs a Motorcycle Shop iin Boaz, Alabama. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks,
Nightrider1 .

·
Administrator
27,908 Posts
imported post

How did you determine it was torqued to 50 lbft? It takes more torque to break a bolt loose and more to start it moving in the tightening direction than was applied to it when it was tightened. I don't think it would matter anyway.
So other than a possible exhaust leak what seems to be the problem? A worn cam lobe is easy to see if you rotate the engine and look at the point of the lobes.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
imported post

My '83 sounds like it has an exhaust leak on the right side after it warms up, quiet when it's cold.
The noise seems to be coming from within the header pipes themselves, like maybe a breech between the inner and outer wall.
Sound familiar?

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

Over torquing won't affect the oil flow to the head but it might make the head bolts weaker for next time round. David is right about it taking more power to break a bolt seal after it has been torqued. In reality there won't be a huge difference between 40 & 50psi, certainly not enough to cause problems like you describe.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

the oil flow to the head is restructed by a nipple like device in the head.
Agree with torque answer and only add thatI believe that you should only torque head bolts. The rest just tighten. That came from a good engine rebuild shop. I follow this advice.

Have you checked that the PO replaced the copper exhaust seals in the headers. cheap enough but easily forgotten as they tend to stay in the heads on removal.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

You might have not seated the valve gear properly and the noise is coming form there. Loosen off the bolts holding the bars that the valve adjusters pivot on and wiggle them a bit before nipping the bolts down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.