Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Kinda new here and new to the "wing". so forgive me if this seems sort of silly but The RPM's on my811100I seem kinda high to me at cruising speed. Now I know that these bikes were made to run at higher RPM's but I just feel like I'm twisting the snot out of the poor thing trying to run at 60 mph. I was curious to see what RPM some of you that have similar "wings" were running at 60?

I don't have the heart to run her any faster than 60 for more than a second or two, it just feels like I'm going to kill her.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

liquidplumber wrote:
Kinda new here and new to the "wing". so forgive me if this seems sort of silly but The RPM's on my811100I seem kinda high to me at cruising speed. Now I know that these bikes were made to run at higher RPM's but I just feel like I'm twisting the snot out of the poor thing trying to run at 60 mph. I was curious to see what RPM some of you that have similar "wings" were running at 60?

I don't have the heart to run her any faster than 60 for more than a second or two, it just feels like I'm going to kill her.
The 1100s were a good bit lower geared than some of the later versions but I've never heard of anyone blowing the rods loose running 80mph or better. These are strong mills.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Well, mine runs about 4000 rpm @ 60 mph. About 4500 @ 70, and of course that is what is showing, older GoldWings and motorcycles in general don't have very accurate speedos on them.:D

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
imported post

My 1981 GL1100 Std., 2 months ago when it was running, was about the same as GLester. I cann't wait to put mine back on the road!

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

4500 rpm @ 70 mph, 82 aspencade

Dave

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

The '81 had higher rear end and transmission ratios than the later 1100's.

Mine always sounded like it was revving higher than my friends '83 because it was, no problems, that's just the way it was made. It would run 85 all day long.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
imported post

83 Interstate it run 4000 @ 70 mph.

Billy

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Well it would seem as though my wing is falling right in line with Glester. sounds like the 83 model had a setup more like what I would like to have. Anybody know if the 81 can be converted to be more like the 83? Its just seems to me that a lower revving engine would be better for long distance riding.

I took my wing out on the interstate for the first time and went 65mph for a few miles, I touched 70 a few times but backed off pretty quickly. I'll admit that the engine seems willing to rev that high and that its me that has the problem, but I swear it just "feels" wrong

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

liquidplumber wrote:
Well it would seem as though my wing is falling right in line with Glester. sounds like the 83 model had a setup more like what I would like to have. Anybody know if the 81 can be converted to be more like the 83? Its just seems to me that a lower revving engine would be better for long distance riding.

I took my wing out on the interstate for the first time and went 65mph for a few miles, I touched 70 a few times but backed off pretty quickly. I'll admit that the engine seems willing to rev that high and that its me that has the problem, but I swear it just "feels" wrong
You get used to the noise running at 70 and 4500 rpm. I've ran all day at 80+ and nary a problem. The bike can run all day at 6000 rpm and it is designed to handle it. The 83s had a little different gearset in the tranny and the differental is geared differently. You would need all the gears, and transmission parts, along with a 83 diff to take the advantage of the lower rpms of the 83. On the brighter side, the 81s pull better.:D

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Glester, you seem to know your wing. Got another question for you. Ive been looking for new chrome foot pegs to go on the wing to replace the old black crappy looking stock ones. I dont want floor boards, they are not my speed. Seems like I have seen them somewhere but I am not having any luck finding them. I went to wingthings site and ordered some levers and a shiny new kickstand but all they have are floorboard conversions. I would like to find new chrome PEGS for driver and passenger and also change my bolt on highway pegs to match whatever pegs I can find. any ideas? anyone?:cool:

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Well, I'm not an expert on footpegs, but I've seen several types at the local independent bike shop down the road from my house, and there is all kinds of nice ones that will work on a wing. Mine still have the floorboards and I kind of like them, they protect my big feet from the road when I go too fast into a turn and I drag them, I would rather scrap the floorboards than my feet. But if you want nice pegs, you can check with www.wingsthings-texas.com or http:/goldwingchrome.com or Bikebandit.com or JC Whitney. They all have pegs, and you might find something you like.:D

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

liquidplumber wrote:
Glester, you seem to know your wing. Got another question for you. Ive been looking for new chrome foot pegs to go on the wing to replace the old black crappy looking stock ones. I dont want floor boards, they are not my speed. Seems like I have seen them somewhere but I am not having any luck finding them. I went to wingthings site and ordered some levers and a shiny new kickstand but all they have are floorboard conversions. I would like to find new chrome PEGS for driver and passenger and also change my bolt on highway pegs to match whatever pegs I can find. any ideas? anyone?:cool:
Don't know if 1500 type pegs can adapt to the 1100 but here's Kuryakan's pegs:

http://www.wingworx.com/index.asp?PageAction=PRODSEARCH&txtSearch=rider%20pegs&Page=2

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

Liquid:

Yea they run higher RPMS, I have an 81 Standard, but i run 80-85 all the time on the freeway, seems like at that speed its about 5500- 6000 rpms But look at the redline!Ijust stay away from that.

I just got my wing about a month ago, I have been riding a Suzuki 1400 intruder, low RPMs...when I get on it now it sounds strange....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.