Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

A question for Darksiders

3K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  jfairman 
#1 ·
imported post

I did the search and read a lot, but want a couple opinions before I buy my C/T. I picked up a wheel/drive spline from a fellow site member and havea question I have not seen addressed real well yet:

1- Clearance. Most have seem to gone the 175/60 route and been happy. Fewer have gone the Austone 175/80 route. I would prefer the taller Austone tire, but am concerned about the tire height when I have my wife on the back. She is, well, heavier than me and I do not really want to run the rear shocks at 55psi all the time. Some have reported bottoming issues I think. Thoughts?

My main concern is going with the Austone and causing damage to the tire or bike on a bump when we are riding two up, especially if I have the trailer behind us. I normally run around 35-40 psi and would prefer that. The added bike height is no issue and I would prefer lower highway rpm's.

I saw the thread from one member (green 1500 in picture) from earlier this year, I believe with the Austone and the picture showed them two-up on it. Forgot members name, sorry. Any issues with this?

I admit the winter tire (in 175/60) would be nice since I ride year round, sometimes when i shouldn't, but...

See less See more
#2 ·
imported post

i am running E3 tires and I run my rear shocks at 57 psi all the time as a normal course.

Have been for ten years and those shocks have not complained yet.

I weigh 275# and I need that 55-57 psi to keep from bottoming out the rear end or dragging the frame on corners.

Don't get concerned about higher psi pressures. If it takes 65 psi, then do it.

i am looking at the Austone myself for my next rear tire.

#3 ·
imported post

rpeters549 wrote:
I did the search and read a lot, but want a couple opinions before I buy my C/T. I picked up a wheel/drive spline from a fellow site member and havea question I have not seen addressed real well yet:

1- Clearance. Most have seem to gone the 175/60 route and been happy. Fewer have gone the Austone 175/80 route. I would prefer the taller Austone tire, but am concerned about the tire height when I have my wife on the back. She is, well, heavier than me and I do not really want to run the rear shocks at 55psi all the time. Some have reported bottoming issues I think. Thoughts?

My main concern is going with the Austone and causing damage to the tire or bike on a bump when we are riding two up, especially if I have the trailer behind us. I normally run around 35-40 psi and would prefer that. The added bike height is no issue and I would prefer lower highway rpm's.

I saw the thread from one member (green 1500 in picture) from earlier this year, I believe with the Austone and the picture showed them two-up on it. Forgot members name, sorry. Any issues with this?

I admit the winter tire (in 175/60) would be nice since I ride year round, sometimes when i shouldn't, but...
This won't answer your questions BUT I have the Dunlop run flat on my 93 SE and so far its performed flawlessly. Some say a TPMS is needed and maybe they're right but mine seems o.k. so far. I pretty adament about checking the tire daily. I've had a car tire on my VTX for years now and will NEVER go back to a bike tire.
Try this site too. >>>>>>>>http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/<<<<<<<<<

#4 ·
imported post

rpeters549
I think I am the guy you were thinking about riding 2 up on the Tail of the Dragon with the Austone taxi tire. No clearance issues since I removed the small metal bracket riveted on in the very front of the swingarm that held a small rubber flap. The other thing I did was made sure the plastic inner fenderwell was held back as far as possible with the metal clips that hold it in place. Do this things 1st so you don't have to take the wheel back off again like I did. I have to have at least 8K on the tire and it still looks new. I can't see how you would be disappointed going with this tire. PM me your e-mail address and I can provide you a few photos. Mike :action:

#5 ·
imported post

From all I know that run these they have to play with tire pressure to where they feel comfortable with it. Gives a different ride than a bike tire.

#6 ·
imported post

mwhit1500 wrote:
rpeters549
I think I am the guy you were thinking about riding 2 up on the Tail of the Dragon with the Austone taxi tire. No clearance issues since I removed the small metal bracket riveted on in the very front of the swingarm that held a small rubber flap. The other thing I did was made sure the plastic inner fenderwell was held back as far as possible with the metal clips that hold it in place. Do this things 1st so you don't have to take the wheel back off again like I did. I have to have at least 8K on the tire and it still looks new. I can't see how you would be disappointed going with this tire. PM me your e-mail address and I can provide you a few photos. Mike :action:
Why not post the pictures here? I am sure more than just me would be interested. I am going darkside when my current tire is worn out and want to get as much information as I can. Thanks in advance.

#7 ·
imported post

rpeters I have the progressive 416`s on my 1500 & you can run these shocks 75-80 lbs with no problems With Missy & my little guy I have no problems although Im going to have to get a new hitch with a 2 inch lift though Cause my ball scraps going into a parking lot when getting gas or stopping for a bite !

#8 ·
imported post

I am running the Vredestein 175-75 rear. It is slightly smaller than the Austone but it never scrapes anywhere...

I run 30 PSI in my rear air (I have a Progressive 450 IAS too.) when I am 1 up but 2 up I raise that to 50 PSI in the shock.

I measure PSI when the bike is weighted on the wheel (on the ground) so your numbers may vary from that..I think it is actually less than those numbers...

But I think the 450 IAS takes up a lot of the weight.

The pressure in the tire I use feels best for me at 45 LBS but the MAX cold pressure is about 69 so it is soft that way....

With a load capacity of 1800 lbs on the rear I do not worry about loading all the gear and people I can squeeze onboard.

#9 ·
imported post

So far this bike, suspension wise is bone stock and will probably stay that way (save for 15wt oil in the forks and a fork brace).
I had read somewhere some had bottoming issues and wanted to chek it out. I appreciate all the comments.
That 175/75 is a bit taller than the Dunlop and shorter than the Austone-- would seem to be very close to stock height. I may look in to that one.
All comments welcome...

#10 ·
imported post

Looks like the Vredestein is no longer available in that size. I checked the website (tiresbyweb) and went to their website. No dice.

#12 ·
imported post

vtxcandyred wrote:
rpeters549 wrote:
Looks like the Vredestein is no longer available in that size. I checked the website (tiresbyweb) and went to their website. No dice.
http://www.tiremonkey.com/Inventory/Federal%20-%20Formoza%20FD2%20-%2049%20-%20297H6A.aspx
That is the shorter 175/60 tire many run. The Vredestein is a 175/75 so is a bit taller, or rather was since it seems to be unavailable.

But thanks!

I would always welcome more input, but will probably go with the Austone. IfI go 175/60 I will probably go with the Dunlop winter tire for the added winter traction.

#13 ·
imported post

Unfortunately you will not find any 175/75R16 tires in any brand available in the U.S. The next best is the Austone which you know about or go with the smaller 175/60R16 and there are not a lot of choices in that either. The Formoza which I have is only available at http://www.tires-easy.com but the Dunlop Winter Sport can be found at several places for around $130 such as http://www.tirerack.com There are other sizes that may/may not work in the 185 or 195 series but you would be gambling on those.

As far as traction, I have ridden on a lot of different wet surfaces with M/C tires and the Formoza and I can tell you that the Formoza sticks like glue. I have always ridden year round unless there is snow or ice on the ground. I don't think any tire is going to help with ice unless it's studded.In the past, I was always hesitant to ride on wet pavement. I would slow way down and use a light touch when accelerating, braking, changing lanes, turning, etc... With the Formoza, I feel no need to do any of that and can just ride normally. This setup has completely changed the way I ride and no longer feel the need to compensate for thewet surfaces. Even with puddles I have not experienced any hydroplaning. I no longer have any issue with riding in the rain other than the water getting inside my helmet visor and fogging it but that has nothing to do with the tires....

#14 ·
imported post

Rpeters549
Go with the Austone, just bend the metal bracket forward that holds the front lower mudflap, that is what rubs. I did that on the Vredestein I installed on a friend's 1500 to get rid of the rubbing.
I ended up putting on a Bridgestone EL400 195/65-16 as it was going to take longer to get the Austone. I just rode back into Oceanside last night from my ride about. I was on the road 3 1/2 months, 13,000 miles. It preformed good, stuck very good in the tight twisties of the Snake and the Tail of the Dragon. The slabs have taken a toll on the center portion, getting close to the wear bars. Still lots on the sides even with all the very agressive cornering I do, even with the trailer which I had on for the trip, except on the Snake & Dragon. Lots of sparks flew out from my dragging. The EL400 isn't as stiff as the Astone or Vredestien(very bummed they were discontinued), so is was squirmy on the groved roads and metal deck bridges. The EL400 has a tight fit on the right side at the driveshaft area, I peened in the swingarm a little. I have about 1/16- 1/8'' clearence compaired to 1/4'' on the E3 and 5/16'' on the Vredestien at the closest point to swingarms. The side of the tire rubbed slightly there, but not enough to be a problem. The height of the EL400 was the same as the Dunlop E3, both mounted side by side. So the rpms didn't change much.
I would run it again if it is the only choice. I will probably get the Austone next.

#15 ·
imported post

Vredestein Comtrac 175 -75 is not available in the US right now..I bought the last 2 anyone could find last summer...

To compare this tire to the Austone there is a slight difference in over all diameter...

The Vredestein 175 -75 is diameter of 26.33 inches (26-3/8")

The Austone is taller at 26.9 inches (26-7/8") which would make it about a 175-78 series (a bit more actually but not 80 series).

The difference is very slight...but results in a drop of 11 revs per mile...not much.

I think these 2 tires work well in a motorcycle application due to the 6 ply sidewalls which make them pretty stiff (motorcycle tire like). They both have HIGH load ratings (1800 lbs on the Vredstein).

Comparing to the OEM 160-80 tire you can see these are both a bit taller and wider...

The 160-80 is 26.08 inches diameter (26-1/8") and revs 7.5 times more per mile. You will see a small drop in RPMs at 60 MPH - about 300 with no real change in MPG.

#16 ·
imported post

I don't ride double or pulled a trailer yet, but I loved the Austone on my 4k+ trip and around kinda local. Also I am not agressive on curves myself but when I hit a poorly marked curve too fast the Austone stuck like glue while I was grinding the pegs ALLOT.

I have nothing bad to say about the Austone, only good things.
Grooved highway is smooth and straight and I would not know it was grooved if I was not looking at it.

I rode some really hard rains now on HY and Interstate and when safe to do so I run the speed limit still mostly, when safe!
I have to slow down for the cars and trucks more than I slow for the rain!

I've not rode over a grated bridge yet, I would have but that route was closed when I took my trip and had to detour about 80miles!

#17 ·
imported post

If a person is going to order a Formosa, call and make sure it's in stock! One of those sites somewhere was the only one selling the Formosa earlier this year, there was no other place, and when people ordered from them they found out the tire WAS NOT in stock!
It was a $50 tire when not in stock, and from an Ebay dealer that had the LAST 4 they were around $50 each as I recall.

Maybe for $91.70 that site actually does have the only ones in USA? Stock Level: >40

I myself like the idea of having a spare on hand since it takes time to order and have one shipped in so I won't run my tires bald now unless I have another good used one on hand for a spare already.

#19 ·
imported post

I knew someone was but not sure who it was.
Glad to know you've used Tire-Easy and they were fine. I'll be shopping for car tires soon I think for a couple vehicles.

So if Tires-easy has them now I wonder if others are getting them soon also then. No-one seemed to have any for awhile.

#20 ·
imported post

Looks like I will go with the Austone, if I am able to get one. I will probably look in to ordering one later this week or next. My rear tire is still pretty good anyway, so no rush.
Thanky all!

If I can not get the Austone, I might go with the Dunlop, or just wait.

#22 ·
imported post

What you (^) are saying, is +1 for the Austone and a pilot rear for the front?

#23 ·
imported post

IMHO, the Austone is better suited for me and my style of riding than the Formozaand the Michelin is a truer tracking/'stickier' tire that the Ax!.

I posted that mainly as a source for the Austone, but you'll have to make up your own mind regarding both tires. :?

#25 ·
imported post

Copy.

#26 ·
imported post

newday777 wrote:
Rpeters549
Go with the Austone, just bend the metal bracket forward that holds the front lower mudflap, that is what rubs. I did that on the Vredestein I installed on a friend's 1500 to get rid of the rubbing.
I ended up putting on a Bridgestone EL400 195/65-16 as it was going to take longer to get the Austone. I just rode back into Oceanside last night from my ride about. I was on the road 3 1/2 months, 13,000 miles. It preformed good, stuck very good in the tight twisties of the Snake and the Tail of the Dragon. The slabs have taken a toll on the center portion, getting close to the wear bars. Still lots on the sides even with all the very agressive cornering I do, even with the trailer which I had on for the trip, except on the Snake & Dragon. Lots of sparks flew out from my dragging. The EL400 isn't as stiff as the Astone or Vredestien(very bummed they were discontinued), so is was squirmy on the groved roads and metal deck bridges. The EL400 has a tight fit on the right side at the driveshaft area, I peened in the swingarm a little. I have about 1/16- 1/8'' clearence compaired to 1/4'' on the E3 and 5/16'' on the Vredestien at the closest point to swingarms. The side of the tire rubbed slightly there, but not enough to be a problem. The height of the EL400 was the same as the Dunlop E3, both mounted side by side. So the rpms didn't change much.
I would run it again if it is the only choice. I will probably get the Austone next.
Correction My EL400 is not a 195/65-16 It is a 195/60R16
Sorry if any tried to look up that size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.