Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I sure would appreciate it if whoever brought the small statue of a beaver dressed like a Canadian mountie to the NASSIR 1 rally would PM me. I'd like to see if we can work out a deal to get me one of them.:)

My wife was a bit upset at me for losing the bid on that particular item at the auction. I had no idea that she really wanted it, but she wants one. So, I sure would like to get my hands on one.

Thanks in advance.. LP:)

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

LP, I think that item was brought by Wayne (wgj46). You might want to drop him a PM.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

.......a beaver dressed like a mountie..

The images this conjures up in my mind :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:This being a family forum, I will resist.

If I see one I will be sure to let you know.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

If you are refering to the plywood mountie, I'm pretty sure it was wrongway who snuck it through customs. :action::action:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

surely, a beaver is still a beaver, how ever it is dressed up!!!!!:baffled::angel:

Hey Liquid Plumber, I know you wanted to know what themeaning wasof the words on the bright orange T shirt that we gave you.... well it is a British term, meaning "the best", so you might say for instance...... "my bike is the dogs b$%^&*s" Strange term I know and I have no idea of it's origins, but there you go!!:byebye:

Wearing the T shirt obviously means "I am the best"

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Yep wrongway brought it with him for the Auction ,I am sure if you PM him ,he will get you another one at half the auction price :D

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
surely, a beaver is still a beaver, how ever it is dressed up!!!!!:baffled::angel:

Hey Liquid Plumber, I know you wanted to know what the meaning was of the words on the bright orange T shirt that we gave you.... well it is a British term, meaning "the best", so you might say for instance...... "my bike is the dogs b$%^&*s" Strange term I know and I have no idea of it's origins, but there you go!!:byebye:

Wearing the T shirt obviously means "I am the best"
Dog's bollocks

Meaning

Excellent - the absolute apex. In other contexts the word bollocks (meaning testicles) has a negative connotation. For example:

- 'that's bollocks' -> 'that's rubbish'
- 'give him a bollocking' -> 'chastise him'
- 'He dropped a bollock' -> 'he made a mistake'

The reasons why the 'dog's bollocks' are considered to be the top of the tree aren't clear. Dogs do enjoy licking them of course, but there's no evidence that links the coining of this phrase to that. It is most likely that this is just a nonsense phrase, coined because it sounds good. In that, it would join a long list of earlier nonsense phrases, e.g. 'the cat's pyjamas', 'the bee's knees' etc.

Origin

The word bollocks, meaning testicles has been part of the language since the 18th century, but didn't become used to mean nonsense until the early 20th century. The 'dog's bollocks' seems to have originated in Britain in the first half of the 20th century. Eric Partridge recorded it in Edition 3 of A Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English, 1949:

"Dog's ballocks, the typographical colon-dash :)-)."

That printer's term, although graphic, didn't have any associations with excellence and probably isn't the source of term as we use it today. It is more likely that the origin lies in a late 20th century reviving of the post WWI period outbreak of exuberant coinages. At that time many nonsense terms for excellent which involved the animal world were coined - cat's pyjamas, cat's whiskers, bee's knees etc.

:baffled:

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
imported post

liquidplumber wrote:
I sure would appreciate it if whoever brought the small statue of a beaver dressed like a Canadian mountie to the NASSIR 1 rally would PM me. I'd like to see if we can work out a deal to get me one of them.:)

My wife was a bit upset at me for losing the bid on that particular item at the auction. I had no idea that she really wanted it, but she wants one. So, I sure would like to get my hands on one.

Bonnie and I brought it to Calhoun from Canada.

So that would make it a "CANADIAN BEAVER". Canadian beaver is known world wide for several of its outstanding qualities. :D

Anyway, we bought it at a flea market here and if I recall it went for $25.00 at the aution which is half the price that we paid for it. :baffled:

I'm not sure if the lady has another one or if I can even find a way to contact her but let me know if you're interested and I'll see what I can do. :waving:

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

liquidplumber wrote:

Hey LP, if you want a stuffed beaver (no comments please) dressed like a mountie, my daughter works at one of the local tourist souvinir places here in Niagara Falls. She's off for a couple of days but when she gets back to work she will check and see if they have any. She can get me a pretty decent discount too. Let me know.

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
imported post

Goldwings 4 ever wrote:
Hey LP, if you want a stuffed beaver (no comments please)
NO COMMENT!!!!:tongue:

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Hey, them beaver got mean teeth. :cooldevil::cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

Reminds me of a time when I lived up north. I was in the coffee shop and one of the local trappers comes in with his wife and daughter.

A dirtier looking trio you have never seen, but that's BTW.

One of the guys calls out, "Hey Joe, got any beaver?"

The reply brought the house down.

"Yeah, one young and hungry and one old and razzled, and they're both for sale."

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

And - what did he get fur them :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
imported post

wrongway wrote:
Anyway, we bought it at a flea market here and if I recall it went for $25.00 at the aution which is half the price that we paid for it. :baffled:
So in other words, the exchange rate for Canadian beaver in the U.S. is 50 cents on the Dollar. ;)

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Them darn Beavers are a dime a dozen around here & when it freezes up ya got beaver tails all winter, great with Cinnamon & maple syrup.:baffled:

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Wait till you try it with syrup & Sean. :cool::cool:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.