Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Magic Moderator
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How good are Lenovo Thinkpad laptops, I see a lot of nice used ones on Ebay with 2.50 and greater CPUs and some with 4RAM or 8RAM. The ones I had seen looked a lot like Dell Latitude E6410 and E6510 laptops.

·
Administrator
57,435 Posts
on the Linux Mint forum, they are probably the most highly recommended out of all brands.

but, I won't buy one because it is a small business PC, screen too small, and no 10 key pad on it. most are 14" IIRC

·
Magic Moderator
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you that's good to know. Most of the ones I found on Ebay were 14" ones but I did find two 15" ones yesterday for a little over $50.00. I do like the E6510 with the larger screen and would like another 15" or larger.

·
Administrator
57,435 Posts
one other limitation IMO with Lenovo Thinkpad laptops

the screen is highly reflective, and if there is light behind you, it will glare in your face.

my older ASUS TP500LA has that type screen, and IMO it is only useful in a fairly dark room, or all of the light sources are behind the screen.

My new ASUS TUF laptop has the newer non-reflective screen.
our kitchen has the old style dual 40w fluorescent light fixture.
it is directly behind my screen ( I'm in the living room, the kitchen is just an 'eL' shape behind my recliner.

if the laptop screen is at 20% brightness, I can just see a little bit of "high polish sheen" on the screen.

at 10% brightness, the glare is problematic, but if the webpage is mostly white, I can't see it.

at 40% brightness or more, it just don't matter,
at 100% brightness I can use it in daylight.

I mostly use it at 10% though, as we keep the lights behind me turned off unless Cyndi is working in the kitchen..... then I just turn up the brightness on the screen.

With Win10 that is easy, FN+F8 steps it in 10% steps.
a kudo for Win10

·
Magic Moderator
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Toshiba for cross stitch pattern making has a glossy screen and I don't like it. I guess I'll wait I'm in no rush and I'll run the external drive when I need to on the E6510. As soon as they perfect the 19.3 Cinnamon it will go to the external drive case. The Dell E6510 has a matte finish screen and I have an overhead light from the ceiling fan lit and no glare of any type.

·
Magic Moderator
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The one I had seen on Ebay that was 15.6 had only two USB ports and so I passed on buying it. I prefer a minimum of 3 and 4 is even better. Two get used with the cooling base and the mouse, I'm waiting for another deal from PCs for People and the Dell Precision 17" model, that had a bunch of USB ports. I'm in no hurry.

·
Magic Moderator
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took a chance on a used motherboard for my damaged e6410. I tried a different power supply, memory, CPU, fan, ran it on battery and shook the heatsink and whatever is inside it and the result was continued malfunction. My guess is something like a voltage regulator might have gotten damaged in the flood. I have my sights on special Japanese precision screw drivers that go from 1 to 0000 in size and they're not cheap for the set but I'll always have them. Will probably mess with it after the holidays, as I'm not in the mood to start projects and leave them undone.

·
Magic Moderator
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The board came in today complete with base and its a matter of transferring everything over with the right tools when I order them. I paid $23.00 for the identical board I have now, except the replacement hasn't been ruined. All laptops will be used in a life raft or as far away from high tide as possible. :ROFL:

·
Magic Moderator
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its not the feeling you want to have while at the computer, the tide is rising and your feet are getting wet. :surprise:
Something on the board got damaged that night.

·
Administrator
57,435 Posts
Luckily,
we purchased a home on high ground.

within 2 miles of us, there are properties that went underwater during the spring floods.

I considered Flood Insurance, but when I asked around, I was told we won't have that problem where we are.

·
Magic Moderator
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I need better tenants that don't let a sink over flow and not pay attention. This place takes in people that need to be in an assisted living facility or nursing home. There are a few that are hoarders here too. :surprise:
I ordered the screwdriver set today.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts