Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My schedule varies and most the time I can carpool with Nancy. But now and then I have to drive the bike to work because of late or very early hours.

Recently I've got a tapping sound that as soon as I hear it and it scares me, I let off the throttle for just a second and it goes away.

Seems to always come when I'm doing 70+, 3500 rpms.

No oil light coming on and it's not running hot.

3000 and below, I never hear it.

165,000 miles on her now, and it's worrying me. Because of my bad ears, I can't really say there is much difference in the engine noise since I've got her five years ago.

I'm not sure if it's the hyd. lifters, a wrist pin or something much worse.

Any thoughts.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

[deleted]

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,751 Posts
imported post

I once had a fuel filter starting to plug and at higher speeds the fuel pump, unable to get enough fuel, would make quite a racket.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I've tried the seafoam, and it hasn't helped. I wondered ifI might have brought this on by thinning the oil with seafoam while cleaning it out.

I can't see it the fuel pump either, I can still get her to run up like always, but am worried to do it when a problem is just lurking and I need my ride right now.

I've been around engines and big engines for a long time, but now my ears aren't young and what they used to be.

I'm thinking a lifter now or something that is loosing oil now and then, but not the deep hard knocking like a rod shaft bearing, but either way, it's making me sick with needing my old girl to get me back and forth to work during these early shifts.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
imported post

This was from a few years back .. ended up being a piece ofsnot blocking the oil port to the lifters

Problem
This is the right side exhaust rocker, exhaust rocker that I have been receiving the typical center collar Tappet noise, I adjusted the collar to the .004 clearance on each side after 400 miles, the collar moved slightly enough to start the tappet noise again. I have used lock tight on the center collar bolt and torqued to 18 lbs with a snap-on digital torque wrench with Blue Loctite. This head does not have grime and is extremely clean, and has 44,000 on the odometer and just started about 800 miles ago. I have adjusted this twice and it keeps on coming back even at 18 pounds torque by giving a soft tap on the tappet. I can move the center collar bolt to the other side. The Clymer's manual says to adjust this and sometimes a mallet would be needed to move the center collar. This center collar moves freely back and forth not torqued and can be moved with force under 18 lbs torque. I have bought and identical head off of ebay and I don't know if that is also defective but it can't do the same thing on the head. Has anyone had the same experience or knows of any old time Honda mechanics that I could send this to and have it corrected for good. My plan right know is to use Permatex® Bearing Mount Adhesive on the collar. This is my baby and I would like to resolve this as soon as possible.

Solution:
Hint from>> Carl Munkwitz

Friday, August 19, 2005
07:06 am

Have you checked the oil pathways...?

I had a problem on my 1200 when the oil passage clogged up and then the oil would "spurt" intermittantly...

Glenn Blohm R&R'ed the oil pathway and it has worked great ever since...

Just another thing to think about....?

That was the problem. After removing cam holder assembly to check the passages found a piece of sludge in one out oil passageways. Took my finger and felt it and it disintegrated just like sludge. I have for the past 20K run Either Golden Specto or have recently changed to Shell Rotilla T Synthetic, And always change oil and filter @ 3K. My theory is passage way was partially block gets barely enough oil pressure to keep hydraulic lifter pressurized . When oil pressure drops the lifter collapses and tappet start tapping causing vibration to move the center collar out of adjustment. At the same time I soaked the lifters over night and re bled got a couple hundred miles and quit as a church mouse! Just bought a usedhead on Ebay from a 86 . For S&G pulled that cam holder from that on and also had grunge in that same chamber, was in the chamber but had not got in oil passageway.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

check the lifters, while your at it check the cam bearings in the heads, the cam bearings go bad on thoose high mile bikes. walkabout :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.