Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

A few days ago, I was headed into my 54 mile each way commute in the rain. Not just a sprinkle, solid rain. Rain suit on, I head out. About halfway, the state is doing construction with uneven road heights where they are paving. I notice it's getting really hard to see. I look down, no dash lights! I flick high beams, barely a noticable difference! It's pouring now, a little foggy in my helmet, I'm between exits, the road is different heights, I can't see where the edge of the road is to even pull off! After a few hysterical moments, a car passes me and I follow him for a while. He pulls off at the next exit of course so I continue on - I thought the rain was letting up a bit, but no it wasn't. After another hysterical moment of not being able to see, another car passes and I follow them instead. I finally make it to work, park the bike, and go in to dry out. On my lunch break (a light drizzle still), I checked the voltage on the battery and sure enough it way down. I took the battery inside and charged it full. When I get out in the morning, I put the battery back in and took out the headlight and ACC fuses and unplugged my extra lights. I drove back home with no more events, even passing a couple police who thankfully did not pull me over with my headlight out.

:needahug:

I just got done replacing the stator (dead short to ground, burnt winding visible). Luckily I had a spare from my parts bike, it didn't cost me much money. Of course the day before my wife says the minivan has a transmission problem, and the washing machine is broken, and the lawnmower is broken, andmy daughtersvehicles have issues... Maybe I should become a beachbum in Hawaii? Did you know the state of Hawaii owns the beaches and nobody can make you leave? The bike rides would be a lot shorter, though. :ROFL:

So thats my story. Whats YOUR worst ride ever?

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

That would be fine - sorry to post in the wrong forum? Please do move it.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

I rode from Denver CO to 15 miles east of Colorado Springs CO in 70mph winds with rain, hail, and a fairly impressive lightning show going on overhead. This was with my 80 suzuki that wasn't running all that great to begin with. About half way down the interstate all of the lights go out on the bike. I pull over and look for a fuse in the saddle bags but found none. Fortunately I found a small piece of wire on the side of the road that I could use as a temp. Made it home cold, wet and annoyed, but I was home.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
imported post

In September of 1989 I was returning home to South Florida, riding south on I-77, from WV. I heard at a gas stop that hurricane Hugo is on its way and due to hit the east coast around Savannah or Charleston. The report says it's not due until the next morning. I decide I can get south of Savannah before it got there. Of course the report was reporting the eye of the storm and being stupid I did not even think about how far out the rain and wind bands would be. About 50 Miles north of Columbia SC it started raining and getting windy. Got worse very fast. I could not see very well and had to slow down. At about 30 MPH the wind was pushing me a full lane sideways. When the wind momentarily stopped I went the full lane back. Very scary. I got off I-77 at the first exit that had a motel sign. Spent the night there and they even let me keep the bike inside the back hallway. Started out again in beautiful weather the next day. Got 50 miles further south and stopped for gas. Gas station has no electricity, knocked out by the hurricane. Station owner tells me there is no electricity that he knows of anywhere near here. So I decide I must wait. An hour or so later he says "I have a gas can for my lawn mower in the back room that I was supposed to take home, do you want some of that"? He put about 3 gallons in my tank and refused any money because he felt that he made me wait due to not thinking of the gas before. Very nice people in that area. The rest of the trip home was no problem.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
imported post

In 2000 the wife and I took a trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway on our '85 GL1200A. 1st night at Park Vista at 268mm. Great ride so far. Next day, chance of rain is slight. We head on south, clouds pick up down south of Grandfather Mountain. Still nice ride, we stop and take a stroll at Linville Falls. We stop at the Rock & Mineral Museum and then at Crabtree Meadows as well, even see some sun!

Planned to go up Mt Mitchell .... but before we get there, clouds and then it starts to sprinkle lightly as we near the Rt 128 turnoff up to Mt. Mitchell so I pull off at the pullout just around the curve north of Rt 128. We suit up with the rain gear and remount and around the curve and immediately see that it's heavy rain just yards ahead on the BRP and up the road to Mt Mitchell so we decide quickly to ride south on BRP. Within 1/4 mile after passing the turn off, we hit the wall.

A wall of heavy rain and thick fog and my FF helmet's faceshield fogging up too. I open shield so I can see and my SAerenghettis fog up. I hand the glasses to the wife and try to see through w-shield. Drop speed to 25, the fog and rain so thick I absolutely could not see more than a few yards ahead, not enough to see opportunities for pulling off until almost past them on my right. It was all I could do to stay between the lines in my lane, afraid to slow more. I lost the horizon and knew it'ld be easy to just fall over ... I could feel it. We rode like that, unable to find a get off, unable to see, straining to see lights ahead of me, afraid to even blink .... for over 10 miles and finally at Craggy Gardens Visitor Center, we were able to get off the road and into a parking lot.

Thirtyminutes later, we were warmed up and haeded out in clearing skies, great trip otherwise. Spent next night at Mt Pisgah Inn .... wonderful time.

I've been in heavty rain, I've ridden in temps as low as 15-17 degrees, I've been in heavy city traffic, been in 100 degree stop and go traffic, road across steel open grate decked bridge at Kitty Hawk as a vicious T-storm blew in off the ocean ..... but that 10plus miles on the BRP that day was the absolute worst of all my riding experiences ....
.... not counting that "70+ mph get off in 1977 on my first Trident". :sadguy:....

.... but I survived both! ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.