Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Wow. I and the wife are dashing home in my truck from the grocery store to get out of a storm last night. High winds, blinding rain, rotating thunderheads, tornado warning sirens going off. Just then a scooter comes from up ahead. Man. You could barely see out of my windshield with the wipers on fast. How the heck could he see anything, much less stay upright in the wind? Hope he got home alright.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
imported post

Just shows 'ta go ya what people will do to get OUT of ND:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

But that's not really fair; ND has great scenic vistas. I remember being in Fortuna, ND and admiring the panoramic view of Chicago...:dude:

·
Administrator
26,977 Posts
imported post

I saw one of these yesterday;
http://thekneeslider.com/images/piaggio3a.jpg
I watched it coming down the road and wondered how it would turn then he turned into a restaurant parking lot and I was amazed how it worked. Looked kind of like a cartoon car making a turn but it did work.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

fenry wrote:
Just shows 'ta go ya what people will do to get OUT of ND:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

But that's not really fair; ND has great scenic vistas. I remember being in Fortuna, ND and admiring the panoramic view of Chicago...:dude:
Now that's just downright mean. Funny, --- but mean.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

Last summer, my wife and I were in Bermuda when Bertha hit, I took these videos out the door of our cottage:

Rain going sideways

Torrential wind and rain

The wind was so strong that I went out in it and had to hang onto a tree in order to stand upright (have that on video, too!). We had limited food on hand (although lots of wine, go figure). Our transportation being a 49cc scooter, I was loathe to go out and find us some dinner. But by about 5 pm we were getting pretty hungry, and it didn't look like it was letting up at all (it went like this until around 3 am). So after spending an hour on the phone trying to find someplace actually open, we found a pizza place open, for pick-up only. I waited for a lull in the storm (down to about 40 mph winds instead of 70 mph), got on the scooter and headed out. It was about two miles away, and I had to travel across an extremely windy causeway to get there. There were several places where I had to ride through more than six inches of water, so the little drum brakes quickly became non-functional. I couldn't wear glasses because the rain made visibility zero on them, so I ripped them off and had to go just with my helmet, and endure the stinging rain being blown into my face and eyes like needles. I got blown all over the road, travelling no faster than about 15 mph the entire way, but finally made it to the pizza place, where I parked in a small pond that used to be the parking lot.

I got the pizza, wrapped the box in two large garbage bags that I had brought (to attempt to keep it dry), and bungeed it as best I could to the back of the scooter.

The ride back was more of the same, only the wind started picking up, and the rain got harder. There were parts of the ride back where I had to close my eyes, because the rain hurt so bad. I would open my eyes, make sure I was still pointing the right way, then close them again. Thankfully, there were no other idiots stupid enough to be out on the road at that time.

I made it back without crashing, took the pizza off the scooter, and lashed the scooter back to the tree to keep it from blowing away. We ate like kings!

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

What a guy will do for a pizza!

Maybe the man I watched ride by on the scooter had just gotten too hungry. I never thought of that.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
imported post

bbach wrote:
fenry wrote:

Now that's just downright mean. Funny, --- but mean.
Aww..no offense meant...:) I love cruising ND--particularly the high line-- because of it's
pristine solitude, blue waters, cattails, wild birds, and the fact that few people go there.:clapper:

And I adopted a hearthrob Springer puppy in Williston:D

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Blue waters? Where? :cheeky1:

Don't worry, I don't take jokes about ND very seriously. It only bothers me when people think Mount Rushmore is located here. :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
imported post

bbach wrote:
Blue waters? Where? :cheeky1:

Don't worry, I don't take jokes about ND very seriously. It only bothers me when people think Mount Rushmore is located here. :cheeky1:
Heck, everyone knows Mt. Rushmore is in Wyoming...:action:

Love the NW corner of ND and the Medicine Lake area of MT. Every pond looks iron blue, accented by the green or ochre of cattails and water reeds (depending on the season, of course). Tried to find a retirement home there but finding an affordable home with small acreage not overrun with alkali and having sweet water (that doesn't smell like sulphur from the Williston Basin petroleum reserves) was impossible at the time.

But I still like to visit...:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.