Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

ok am looking into buying a used GoldWing ive have read the history, the FAQ and learned quite alot but am still confused or missed it in my reading as the differance between a goldwing , and aspencade and intersate are the all the same or is a option packages or.....? thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

First thing templingis Welcome to the forum! :waving:

I have an 83 GL1100 Goldwing Aspencade. From what I understand the differences between the Standard, Interstate and Aspencade models is similar to upgrade options for an automobile.

My Aspencade has a digital instrument cluster, on-board air compressor for adjusting the suspension on the fly, AM-FM cassette stereo, CB, built in intercom between operator and passenger withCB and sound system interfaced and pre-wired to plug into your helmetand maybe some other things................

The Interstatehas some but not all these things and the basic has even less. I really don't know all the differences between the models but like you I was (am) somewhat confused by the differences.

I think they are all basically the same engine and frame with different add on packages.

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

Welcome Templing

This is a great place to find all sorts of useful info about Goldwings. the people here are all entusiats who are happy to share their knowledge and experience. Also no question is regarded as dumb, even the really dumb ones.

One thing you will find is there are alot of different opinions on this sites. Ask what the best goldwing is and just about every goldwing ever made will get nominated.

As azwinger said the difference between Standard, Interstate, Aspencade, SEI is merely level of trim and accesories. However the SEI I understand has alot more.

If you are looking to buy my advice is get the newest, tidiest and low milage that you can afford. Maybe I'm naive but I think that the newer models should be better than the older ones.

There are alot of great buys out there and feel free to ask for advice on this forum prior to purchasing.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

The differences between a Standard, Interstate and Aspencade vary from year to year.  Obviously, the Interstate didn't come out until 1980, and Aspencade until 1982.  No more Standards after 1984.  And there are many differences from year to year.  But basically:Standard is a standard bike, with no luggage, no fairing, and no frills and thrills.  Well, it weighs a lot less, so that is one thrill.Interstate has the touring package with the bags, trunk, and fairing. Same intrumentation as a Standard usually. Apsencade had all the same, plus Digital dash (except 1982 that I know of), air compressor, and in case of some years, reverse, etc, etc.Raymond

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If you look at Steve's (our gracious proprietor) Goldwing History page you will find most of the information you're looking for. All GL1000, 1100, 1200, 1500, and 1800s are Goldwings. Aspencades had the goodies, Interstates lack bells and whistles such as digital instrument panels, sound systems, CB, cruise controls, air compressors. On 1500s the Aspencade and Aspencade SE have reverse, Interstates don't.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

thanks guys the one the that i might be able to get is a 1993 goldwing my brother was looking into for me so i dont much atm about it other then it has all the bags and all is red of some type in color and has a radio lol and 51k miles on it and is stored in a heated garge in winter and well maintianed so......... am trying to figure out where that would put it if am reading your reply correct i think it would be and interstate.

If thats the case having a radio is cool but are they just radios or do they CD;s or anything and if not how costly and hard is it to put a cd player in one. becuase if i end up getting this ill most likly have this a long time and a CD player would be nice.

i'll have to find a few links for other accesorys that can be put on also lol.

thank agian Templing

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

templing wrote:
thanks guys the one the that i might be able to get is a 1993 goldwing my brother was looking into for me so i dont much atm about it other then it has all the bags and all is red of some type in color and has a radio lol and 51k miles on it and is stored in a heated garge in winter and well maintianed so......... am trying to figure out where that would put it if am reading your reply correct i think it would be and interstate.

If thats the case having a radio is cool but are they just radios or do they CD;s or anything and if not how costly and hard is it to put a cd player in one. becuase if i end up getting this ill most likly have this a long time and a CD player would be nice.

i'll have to find a few links for other accesorys that can be put on also lol.

thank agian Templing
Templing I'm sure you just made Redwings day!

CD players can be added but I havn't done so. I'm sure some one who has will come along with advice on that.

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

lol do they really get that way about color :)am just hoping my brother makes thiis deal work he knows the people not me.I hope to be riding any color wing before end of June lol Templing

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

hi and welcome to the forum :waving:,,If it is a 1500 interstate ,my advice is to forget it ,,,it wont have reverse and unless you have a big woman with you all the time to push it back ,:D:D,it just is not worth it ,,,wait and get an aspencade or SE,,,The sheer weight of the 1500 makes it next to impossible to push backwards,,,you can live without CB but not without reverse,,,And Yes you can get a CD player to fit the 1500,,you can pick them up on ebay ,,,,,cheers Ciaran:waving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Wexman's right on the mark, one of the main reasons I sold my 1200 was to buy a 1500 for the reverse.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

is rev really that important? how much harder is it the pushing around an electra glide with bags i think my brothers is like 760lbs ish or so and am about 6'1 at about 300lb my self fairly strong i dont have any problems moving that or my friends road king or is that something you think i might beable to get by without with my size and leg strength? yaya i know all my friends ride harleylol and i want a wing they think am crazy loli'll have to look into to if it has reverse as the deal get closer thanks agian all. Templing

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You don't HAVE to have reverse, most of us have had heavy bikes without it, but it IS nice at times. For some reason, probably it's seat height I have a hard time pushing backwards up a slight rise if it's sandy or gravelly, very handy to be able to reverse into a three point turn on a narrow gravel or dirt road.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

I've a 87 1200 Aspencade. No reverse. I've never had reverse so I don't miss it. Admittedly the 1200 is a bit lighter than the 1500.

The only compensations I have to make for not having reverse is that when parking I look to see the incline before deciding whether to park nose in or tail in. Also my shed is down a step drive and don't have room to turn down there so I back it down.

I wouldn't let reverse be a deal breaker/maker. This of course depends on your age/size. I know of an 83 year old who has landing gear and reverse. If I can still ride when I'm 83 I'll be delighted.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

With all my chrome I believe I am equal in weight and while reverse might be nice, it is certainly not essential.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I really do like the reverse and while it's not a deal breaker it's close. The cruise control on the other hand is! On a long trip I'd really miss that. Of course in my younger days I had bikes with neither and enjoyed them, managed some long rides too. On my recent 3000+ ride I had a cruise control and my brother didn't on his BMW 1100. Midway through the trip he got jealous enough that we stopped in at a BMW dealer in Nevada and he had a throttle holder installed. He really liked that and the palm rest on his bike but it still wasn't as good as my cruise control. When you're running at 70-75 for hours, that throttle spring gets to be a bit heavy and the hand cramps aren't a lot of fun.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

You know Paul, I hardly ever engage my cruise control. I do have a boss though that my wrist lays on.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Brojees wrote:
You know Paul, I hardly ever engage my cruise control. I do have a boss though that my wrist lays on.
Different strokes I guess,I use the thing a lot.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
imported post

I have recently purchased a red '92 interstate from the states and am busy piling on the miles and having a great time doing so. When I purchased it I was unaware thatInterstates did not have reverse, but to be honest l haven't found it to be a hindrance. All I have done is to become more aware as to where and how I park the bike. As for the radio issue. I find it very distracting when I am riding and prefer to ride with just the hum of the motor for company. As for the cruise control, I suppose in a country with long highways it would help but here in little old New Zealand with itstwisty roads it would not be of much use. I used to have a car with cruise control and never got to use it. Anyway that said, I'm sure you will enjoy whichever bike you pick and I wish you many safe and happy miles.

Regards,

John S.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Brojees wrote:
I hardly ever engage my cruise control. I do have a boss though that my wrist lays on.
Hey Brojees :waving:I never the use the cruise control on my Honda 50, but i use it quite often on my neighbours :18red:

:walker::18red::walker:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

cbhon wrote:
I have recently purchased a red '92 interstate from the states and am busy piling on the miles and having a great time doing so.
Hey cbhon :waving: Well done. :clapper:You cant beat the fastest colour. :15red:

:walker::18red::walker:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.