Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

With the advent of some beautiful weather, I took my bike for a spin...rode it hard for half the day, got her home and tried starting her up, and she was dead..I had the battery checked and it was ok..and had it charged..put it back in, rode her some more, and it wouldn't crank..thank god for hills..

I have attached a picture of what I think maybe the problem. Coming off the positive battery terminal, the cable runs through what appears to be a fuse, then a connector, and then I would assume to the starter..Evidentially some corrosion had built up inside of the connector, possibly causing some sort of short, and it melted the entire connector..I am hoping that this is the reason why my battery wasn't charging..Also, the short segment of cable between the battery and the fuse was quite corroded.. Is is possible to find one of these connectors and install on the cable? Can any one tell me the names of these parts, as I've not seem them on the parts fiche..

As always, thanks for helping a non-mechanic..

Chester Gunn/Chula, GA

Attachments

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
imported post

Do a search on soldering the three yellow, red/red white wires in addition to an automotive style 30 amp fuse, you do have a mess, someone here will point you in the right direction. good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

That is def not the 3 yellow wires. You should be charging fine. The coinector you are showing there has to be directlywired.

Heres what I did

I had to edit because I just took a closer look. Mine was salvaged because the burn wasnt to severe. It started while stopped so i smelled it right way.

You are goning to have to find the solenoid housing . When i didn my searches i found that it is part of the wiring harness and it is not sold seperatly..

I am pretty sure some of the dismantlers have them. Try ebay.
Dont panic . Its not an easy fix, but not as expensive or tough as the stator

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks very much..So I'm looking for what is called the "solenoid housing"?

I wonder if someone on the forum has a wiring harness that they've removed and would be willing to part with?

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

no not a solenoid housing. Thos where my words.

i will check and get back to you.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
imported post

yep this is a pretty common failure, on our 1200 's the starter relay, is usually held in a rubber housing to the right of the battery, and there is normally a 30 amp bone fuse running directly from the battery, in a housing under the relay.

the bone fuse is prone to failure, and it is better to replace it with a blade fuse.

if you go here: http://gl1200goldwings.com/index.php and do a search, for bone fuse, will you see photo's of how it goes together.

the other place to check, is to the left of the battery, there are 3 yellow wires with a connector, that is also prone to failure, which effects the stator.

these are best soldered together.

good luck,

·
Administrator
26,533 Posts
imported post

That could pretty easily be replaced with a garden tractor solenoid. Just connect the green/red to one spade terminal, yellow/red to the other, both the red/white and red to a 30 amp blade fuse holder then to the battery + terminal and the main battery cable and starter cable to the studs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.