Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Since the Wing has evolved into an 1800cc six banger behemoth, how about reintroducing a smaller, lighter4cyl model like the 1100/1200. I know several riders that prefer to ride their old 4 banger around town or on the local twisties as it's lighter and easier to handle. I ride my 1200 on the interstate, but use my 1000 or 1100 around town. Willie

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

This part of the forum is for suggestions on how to IMPROVE the goldwing ,,anything else can be discussed in the general discussion forum ,,thank you Ciaran

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,867 Posts
imported post

/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/whip.gif Crack that whip!/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/goofygrin.gif

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
imported post

So!!!!! what's to say that a 1200 could not be an improved Goldwing? bigger does not always mean better BMDBLU seem to have done ok with sticking at 1200cc! in fact maybe a true European spec Goldwing would be a 1200 cc alloy framed bike, maintaining the lower centre of gravity than the Beemer, the torque of a horizontally opposed motor, all of this would suit european roads - twistys et al- 1800s or 2000 if you need it even bigger Ciaran for route 66 and all the other straightaways. It would also give our American buddies a Goldwing alternative for a lighter sportier tourer?? C'mon a bit of lateral thinking here :cool::cool:

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Kenny's right! So very, very, very right! If Mother Honda brought out a brand new 1100 just like my 81', I'd buy it a heartbeat! A heartbeat!

My 1500 is beautiful, comfortable, powerful.... and too big. Who in hades needs more than a thousand cc's anyway, even on American roads? And with the gasoline shortage and the mideast situation, it is nearly our duty to ride smaller, more efficient bikes. C'mon, Mother Honda -- listen to Kenny! Smaller would be an improvement.....

Cousin Jack

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,838 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Kenny's right! So very, very, very right! If Mother Honda brought out a brand new 1100 just like my 81', I'd buy it a heartbeat! A heartbeat!

.......Smaller would be an improvement.....
What the heck kind of men are you? Bigger and more poweris always better!!!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

John

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

[align=left]

Except in wives, that is!!!!!!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

[/align]

·
12,838 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
[align=left]Except in wives, that is!!!!!![/align]
You got that right. :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

John

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
Cousin Jack wrote:

.......Smaller would be an improvement.....
What the heck kind of men are you? Bigger and more poweris always better!!!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

John
Do you remember back in the 70' when Yamaha were cleaning up the 350cc class championships? the bike was so fast that they bored it out a couple of more cc's so that it qualified for the 500cc class and it eat them as well huh???:D:D

·
12,838 Posts
imported post

Kenny wrote:
Do you remember back in the 70' when Yamaha were cleaning up the 350cc class championships? the bike was so fast that they bored it out a couple of more cc's so that it qualified for the 500cc class and it eat them as well huh???:D:D
Are you kidding? How could I remember that, I was only a kid at the time. I graduated from high school in '79. You must be old. No wonder you forgot that bigger and more power is always better!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
imported post

I am 53 son, bought my first motorbike magazine at 12 -still have it- was stripping and rebuilding m/bike engines by 13 had a BSA gold star - could only ride it in the back garden though- by 14, knew what was going on in the world of motorcycling lllooonng before I left high school, anyhow before Axeman axes me elsewhere, point I was trying to make is that bigger is not always better, depends on the application + the advances made in metalurgy and electronics; Latest VW Golf GTi is 1400cc 167bhp & 177lbtft trq!:action::action:

·
12,838 Posts
imported post

Kenny wrote:
.........point I was trying to make is that bigger is not always better, depends on the application + the advances made in metalurgy and electronics;........
Lol, my sense of humor must have gotten lost in my words Kenny. I'm only joking with you. Have you ever watched the TV program called Home Improvement? If not, it's a comedy about a guy that has a TV show about doing home repairs and upgrades. His mantra is always "more power" & bigger is better. (insert sound of men grunting).:D I think a second line of Wings that were smaller might do well.

Wexman, sorry about taking this off topic. I'll put my self in time out now.:cheeky1:

John

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
imported post

Me I am pretty sure there is a market for bikes like the Silverwing, which was originally planned as a ladies bike......my son in law started on one and loved it, so did I actually that 500 had some real zip to it even at 100,000+ kms on it :D With todays technology a much improved smaller wing could be done quite well, something to consider with rising fuel costs......but me I am also with the Home Improvemnt line of thinking, its a redneck guy thing :cooldevil::grinner:

One must wonder tho, would the market for a smaller version of todays Wing be enough to pay for all the R&D, and would the price of the end product be reasonable enough for the buyers wanting a smaller luxury bike? I did take my old1980 CB750C and make a full dresser out of it, but unfortunately it did not have the suspension and smoothness needed for long rides, at least not for my ole bones ;)

I suspect the concept has probably been considered by Honda but market research proved that the idea would not be profitable enough........just my thoughts tho.....:stumped:

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
imported post

No problem John I know you were just pulling my leg,, haven't seen that TV programme over here though, I'll let you know what I think of my 18 when it get's here. Talk to you soon.:waving::waving::waving::waving:

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,867 Posts
imported post

Kenny wrote:
No problem John I know you were just pulling my leg,, haven't seen that TV programme over here though, I'll let you know what I think of my 18 when it get's here. Talk to you soon.:waving::waving::waving::waving:
The guy that did the show got his start doing standup comedy. At one gig, he did this thing about rebuilding the recliner in the living room with a chevy small block v8. Worked great till Granny got launched out the front window...:cheeky1:

Oh, and to keep it on topic, what do you think about a small wing?:goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
3,744 Posts
imported post

Let's look at this semi-logically. There are multiple versions of most every model Honda makes i.e. CBR 600, 1000; Shadow 650, 750 1100 etc. With the high cost of gas there has to be a market of new riders that would love a touring bike but are terrified of starting on a 1800cc bike. IMHO, money for development is not a problem with Honda (I'd love to have just the interest in what make in a day). The solution is to get their marketing folks to look at current market to see what's there. Sure seems to me that there is a glaring gap in the not-so-long -distance touring market. A 800 to 1200 touring bike would allowthe new rider a bit more affordablebike that would also be great for commuting & daytrips.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,867 Posts
imported post

Not to mention the fact that if its is a good experience, they are likely to upgrade to the Papa Wing...;)

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
imported post

Well that's it settled so, the new Smaller Wing is called a Pan European st 1300 all we need nowis sombody to start making shiney bits for it and change the name to Junior Wing:action::action:

1 - 20 of 105 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.