Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 105 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
imported post

People are complaining that the wings is to big and heavy. ST1300 is lighter answer. And talk about mods!! Only a Harley rider spends more than a Goldwing ridder on extras to biolt on. Bottom line Honda is not going backwards and building a small wing. If you want something smaller, impervise!!

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
imported post

While I'm sure the ST1300 is a great bike, it's no GL and never will be. My wife simply refuses to even try sitting on the ST1300 so that's an immediate deal breaker. They're 2 totally different classes of bike and they appeal to different types of people. Not everyone needs or wants a Sport Touring bike. Some will want a sport bike, some will want a touring bike, some will want a sporty bike that tours and some will want a touring bike that's sporty. Why do you try to take away our options by suggesting the ST1300 could be a smaller Wing?

A modernized GL1000-1200 taking advantage of all of today's light weight materials, aerodynamics and electronics would be the cat's a$$ IMHO. I don't NEED to go 0-60 in under 4 secs or 125mph+. Those things could be left for the big 'Wing. Give me a comfortable cruising speed of 75-80mph and 50-55mpg with 300 mile range and it's nirvana.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

Grumpa wrote:
While I'm sure the ST1300 is a great bike, it's no GL and never will be. My wife simply refuses to even try sitting on the ST1300 so that's an immediate deal breaker. They're 2 totally different classes of bike and they appeal to different types of people. Not everyone needs or wants a Sport Touring bike. Some will want a sport bike, some will want a touring bike, some will want a sporty bike that tours and some will want a touring bike that's sporty. Why do you try to take away our options by suggesting the ST1300 could be a smaller Wing?

A modernized GL1000-1200 taking advantage of all of today's light weight materials, aerodynamics and electronics would be the cat's a$$ IMHO. I don't NEED to go 0-60 in under 4 secs or 125mph+. Those things could be left for the big 'Wing. Give me a comfortable cruising speed of 75-80mph and 50-55mpg with 300 mile range and it's nirvana.
I'll take the same bike! It's kind of a pain knowing my wife's TDI will spank my GL1200 bad,in the fuel mileage category.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
imported post

Bri-Guy-GA wrote:
Wouldn't the NT700 fill this need? It's basically a slimmed down ST1300.
Why is it so difficult for people to understand that a Goldwing isn't an ST1300 or NT700 or any other sport-touring bike. The Goldwing has always been a TOURING bike. The 1800 just happens to also be sporty but it's not and was never designed to be a sport-touring bike as far as I know.

Go back to the GL1200, update the style and build material and you have a winner. Get the Silverwing name back from the scooter and then you have 2 touring bikes, Goldwing for the sporty crowd and Silverwing for the go far crowd.

BTW, the NT700 is a nice looking bike but from the look of the back seat my wife wouldn't sit on that any more than the ST1300.

101 - 105 of 105 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.