Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

On the 2[suP]nd[/suP] of October, I dragoon had it made. I had one of the nicest Valk’s andplan to move it into the show category buy doing some custom paint, powder coating the rims just to mane a few. Then I literally stumbled across a mint condition 20[suP]th[/suP] anniversary addition Goldwing SE. A Goldwing would have never crossed my mind to own but this was so sweet looking and had all the toys a boy could ask for. I bought it and was looking so forward to having two f6’s in my garage. These were bikes 26 and 27 for me. I had, in the 32 years of riding a motorcycle, a few mishaps none of which I was to ashamed to own up to and take responsibility, even going back several times to take the MSF again.

So, one month ago, I was one of the happiest folks in the world. A week later, I was somewhat cutoff and rear-ended a car during a PGR mission that took my wing off the road for a week, but I was got back on the road just in time to take the 4 day tour up the coast of California. I was ticking off my checklist of things to take when I got word that my father had passed.

Today, I have been moved out of the trauma unit after6 days(I was life-flighted to the hospital last Thursday aft) and into the observation unit for 3 days. I have seven broken ribs, a broken ankle and a tiny bone broken in my upper neck. Needless to say, I have two written off bikes. And will be off two wheels for al least 3 weeks. I looked and , having only had access to the internet for a few hours, cant see to see a large supply of wings or Valks that I desperately want to get. I would truly love to find a candy apple anniversary (20[suP]th[/suP] or 25[suP]th[/suP]) anniversary wing in red as I have really come to love that bike.

So i sincerely appeal to you to help me if you find one for sale to point it out to me. I am on serious drugs and don’t think i am searching right. I will pay up to 7K and reach up a bit for the right bike.

Thanks in advance,

A very broken dragoon:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Can I say a very big OUCH!! Man, some times life takes a down hill dive and I'm sorry to hear it bit you. May you recovery of body and bikes be super fast.

Now, I need some information. I need you real name, the name of the hospital, it's address and main phone number. i also need your room number. Pm this to me as soon as possible.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

·
Premium Member
62,988 Posts
imported post

Hope you have a speedy recovery and find your new Red one soon..

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear about your accident. Seems like you're living up to your forum name, Dragoons were mounted soldiers who dismounted to fight. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Well, I just got off the phone with Paul and he sounds like he's doing well. Not so for his bike. His doctor may allow him to got home in the morning and I'll let everyone know if he does. He doesn't care for the way the hospital staff is taking care of him so he asked his doctor to see about getting him out of there. I think he's getting ready to take his "happy pills" as he calls them and knock out for the night.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

And will be off two wheels for al least 3 weeks
Wow, I would be out for 3 months. Sorry to hear your under the weather. I wish you a speedy recovery, and it sounds like your well on your way.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
imported post

Hope you feel better soon. Having been through a similar situation recently (though not nearly as bad) I can tell you there are deals out there. Have some patience and the right bike will come along for you.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
imported post

All I can say is "GET WELL SOON" and "WOW",,,,,,be careful.....

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

Burrrrr dragoon your tale had already had me thinking I'm too old to suffer broken bones late yesterday and as I'm leaving work glad the fog had stayed away I made my usually Wing merge onto the one way of P street's right third lane when I noticed a faster than legal Honda car approaching fast from behind I quickly flashed to your rear end plant and swung myself winkers blazing into the middle lane between two cars as we approached 10th street another one way crossing left to right that Honda stifled at my right then decided to bully his way in behind me as my heart pounded I looked for an out and noticed the left lane was clear next to me and well ahead and I made a quick mirror check before winking just as the Honda revved up and moved abruptly into the left lane over taking me. My vision fixed on the left lane ahead I saw the Nissan on 10th making a left into the clear lane the Honda was over taking. It was over in seconds and I was already preparing to stop. The Honda plowed head first into the rear of the Nissan with a horrendous red and black plastic explosion. Horns and panic set in as lanes zig zagged accordion style. I was able to snake into the vague opening in front of the Nissan and make my way home. I think I may have wet myself a little. Oh, the young ***** breaded man boy in the Honda was also on a cell phone which I imagine must of enhanced his driving skills.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

So many things happenin a blink of an eye, I had an incident last week,(another thread), but more reason for us all to remain so vigilant. I know I would not heel fast these days.:(

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

First,

Let me say thanks to all for your wishes and especially Bagaster, whom claimed to be representing the forum, having called me to wish me well and help me deal with this mentally. I posted this more to get it off my chest then to solicit sympathy and I actually wasn’t sure I was going to. The reason is thus: on December 23[suP]rd[/suP], 2005, I got hit by a drunk driver in Rancho Santa Fe. Being a member of many forums now, I was a member of only one then. So I posted what had happened to get it off my chest and explaining what I did to see if anybody could have suggested a better reaction to the situation. I was stunned that we went to three pages in a matter of hours and most folks told me to get off the road once and for all. I got the police report back in which they had identified a suspect and stating that it was my quick reactions that allowed me to walk away. I scanned it on to the thread and got about three more pages of apologies. I don’t go there much any more.

As for wanting to be back on a bike in three weeks, I think I can do it if I can find one, and if it is a cushy ride like my wing or my Valk was. I am a die hard biker. My lively hood comes from biking interests (a couple of companies the rules don’t allow me to point out) and I am also due to start production of a TV show in February. I can’t blame a single bike in any incident involving me, and I have registered for the MSF (I did this after my first wing accident). I do an average of 50k miles a year on my bikes.

Now for the bright side.[/b] :cool:When I found my Valk for sale, I got it at a steal from a man whom bought it new and did only 8k miles on it because it was probably too much bike for him. My wife was mad that I would buy that bike when I already had a perfectly good new one in the garage (a Shadow, not a Valk). Well, I showed her the payout letter from USAA and, even with all the add ons, I basically got paid $2400 to ride this dream machine for 54k. Looking at what I will get for my wing, I will have been paid about a g note for riding it up and down the pacific coast Highway. I have never lost money on a bike.

On my last note, if you read my buyoligy, the Valk was a perfect example of that kinda purchase. It was sitting on the side of a major road with a for sale sign on it. So I called the guy and asked him how deep were the scratches on the side covers and could they come out. He was taken off guard. I then went to look at it at his place. Saying nothing, I did touch every imperfection on the bike making sure he was watching. The guy wanted 7500 and the bike had 8 k on it, and truly was in perfect shape. I asked the guy if he would take 6k cash for it if I showed up with the cash by weeks end. He said no so I asked what he would take, he said 6500. That was a great deal. I told him I was worried that the bike had not been ridden enough in the time he owned it and that he was asking a perfect condition price for a bike that was perfect from far, but far from perfect (remember I touched every blemish, big and small). So I thanked him and made my way back to my immaculate Shadow. He asked me if he should hold it to the end of the week for me or not and I said no. I told him that I wanted to buy a bike tonight and was on my way to look at another Valk. He said he would take 6k if we made the deal there and then, and in actual cash. I told him I only had $5800 cash on me which I knew I could buy the next Valk for. Ten minutes later, I jumped on my new valk which I had just bought for $5900 and running home with a huge grin. Insurance paid me just over $8k plus tax.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

:waving:Hi Paul:

I have been ignoring this thread. I do not like to see anyone go down and get hurt and mess up their bikes too. It tends to bring me in touch with what might happen to anyone of us at anytime , so I ignore most of them. Anyways I hope all goes well and you recover soon.

Now as you do seem to have a sense of humor, I know many people told you about running a CT on that Valk. Many a soothsayer has told you, you would crash and burn. See now you just went and proved them all right. No you just would not listen and there you go. :action::action::action:

Sorry about the whole set of circumstances. Get well and go find a new Red 1800, I will even admit it is the fastest color.

Kit

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

I too like Kit try my best to avoid any thread that deals with someone crashing, because as he said "It tends to bring me in touch with what might happen to anyone of us at anytime"...I am reminded that while the accidents that have happened to members in the past year, have been of the "time will heal" type, which is a great thing......I go out and look at my Wing and think to myself "what would I do if I involed in an accident???" and I have no answer....But I will ride it and if I do have an accident and walk away from it, I will do exactly as you are doing...I would be out looking for another Wing...."If it throws you just get up dust your self off and get on it again".....This is what my Dad said about me learnng how to ride a bicycle, and I would think it applies to riding a motorcycle....

So get well, find you another great deal and keep the shiney side up.....Get well soon.....

Claude.....

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:

I have been ignoring this thread. I do not like to see anyone go down and get hurt and mess up their bikes too. It tends to bring me in touch with what might happen to anyone of us at anytime , so I ignore most of them. Anyways I hope all goes well and you recover soon.

Now as you do seem to have a sense of humor, I know many people told you about running a CT on that Valk. Many a soothsayer has told you, you would crash and burn. See now you just went and proved them all right. No you just would not listen and there you go. :action::action::action:

Sorry about the whole set of circumstances. Get well and go find a new Red 1800, I will even admit it is the fastest color.

Kit

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:

Kit
Kit,

I feel especially flattered that you would read my crash and burn with a tendency not to do so. However, The Valk was a minor event. I didn’t even call it in. I just happened to hit a comms box on someone’s property and when they called the police, there was a record of their assistance to me and decided it was I that had taken out that box. Where the write off came was actually because when I hit the curb, I cracked the crankcase. So I wont look at this a a CT related incident.

Rebaron,

Also thank you for taking the time to read my post when your tendencies are not to. It is true that I will get back on the bike and will ride for many miles. If I do not feel comfy with my skill set anymore, I will retire it to my factory and there it will do its real work. However, whilst a PPL (Private Pilot) my team in a flour drop, a charity event, went down in our Cessna 172.We had just hit the 800 foot drop height( we had made it to the finals for those who are wondering what we were doing so high at a flour drop). and I release the bag of flour (I was not the pilot that day) and the pilot made a huge error and we ended up going down. Lucky for us, both doors had been removed from the plane and at 100 miles an hour; we were going relatively slow and dropped from a low altitude. I walked back from the crash site to the on site flight doctor. I asked him to check me out. He said I was in shock but not hurt save a few bruises. The very next day, I rented a Cessna 152 and had a commercial pilot friend of mind come up with me just in case. When I had done a route that was tantamount to what they make you do the last flight before your solo, I got permission to land and bet my buddy on the exact first touch mark. I was with in 10 feet of it and he had bet 25ft or more. I flew another 1400 hours after that before retiring my license. The adage is true, get back on that horse, if you think horse are no longer for you, fine, but if you don’t try, you will ALWAYS wonder

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.