Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
58,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all;

As most of you are aware, the Technical PostsIndex was introduced some months back withabout 150 starter entries in it and many more waiting to be added. Since that time, it has grown to almost 1,000 entries.

Has the Index been of benefit to you?

If so, a request: IF you see a threadthat you think has a lot of value for future eyes to see and learn from, would you please drop me a PM with a link to that thread. We appreciate your input as a forum member in this ongoing project.

At this point in time, the job of building the Index is down to Steve Saunders and myself.Earlier in the heavy rush to get it going, we had help from RB (Roger) and Claude (Red Baron). Thanks to both of them for a heroic job.

I try to collect the "relevent threads" and then pass them on to Steve. He then singles out a keypost ineach threadandmerges them with the new Index database, and makes sure we don't have dupes, or that the titles make more sense relating to the thread's topic.

Sometimes, we create different titles to link to the same thread simply because there is more than one way to refer to a topic.

The moderators can not possibly see everything, and reading every single post in the database is going to take eons.

I'm not even 10% of the way through the Technical Forum yet. So, please help us all with your ideas.

Post Index A-Z. You can find thelink on any Forum Main Page;

Another hint, once you have the Index up, try clicking with your mouse in a blank spot in the list of the subjects. Then do a Control-F and your browser will open a find window.Type in the word you want to find and the browser will find that word or phrase. Click next and zip thru the Index.

When you click the link in one of the Index subjects, you willopen a key post from that thread. If you want to read the full thread, click the "FULL TOPIC" tab at the top of the post.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I have noticed, and maybe this has been fixed, that when I look something up, I see a member asking the specific question, but no answer.

Like I said, maybe this has been addressed.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Here is an example.

Electrical issues, won't start GL1100

·
Administrator
58,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

mikef wrote:
Here is an example.

Electrical issues, won't start GL1100
Mike,

There is nothing wrong with the way the index is working.

What we try to accomplish is to go straight to the answer to the Title, or to the post stating the question and what the original issues are.

Then, IF, you want to read the full thread, all you do is click on FULL TOPIC
at the top of the screen. Right next to where it says EDIT, REPLY, etc.....

We can only link to a single post. It is up to you to decide if you want to see the full thread.

This thread was started for just exactly this reason. Is anyone having any issues with using the Index?
IF so, then ask your question and we will try to address that.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

You are correct. I missed the "Full Topic" button......my bad.

·
Administrator
58,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

You aren't the only one who missed it. I asked the same question the very first time that Tanygaer showed us the new feature.

He wrote the software for the Index.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Think it needs to be a forum header or something I think most don't know or forget it exists or how to use it..

BUT!!! sure is a nice feature for those in need and a much better search tool than the regular one...more on target usually..

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

So John, is there a way to search the left column (index) besides heading by heading. Like a search tool just for that column? Tried the one on the right, but that is set up for the whole - not the index only. The more topics that get put in the left column the more difficult the search. If one could put in a word and bring up several just in the index column. Maybe I'm asking more that what it is capable, or maybe there is already something there that I missed.

·
Administrator
58,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

SpiderBob wrote:
So John, is there a way to search the left column (index) besides heading by heading. Like a search tool just for that column? Tried the one on the right, but that is set up for the whole - not the index only. The more topics that get put in the left column the more difficult the search. If one could put in a word and bring up several just in the index column. Maybe I'm asking more that what it is capable, or maybe there is already something there that I missed.
Bob,

IF you use Firefox, you put the cursor inside the Index Window, click in a blank area so that you do NOT highlight a link.

Then you do a Control-F and start typing. It will highlight the first word that matches your typing. Then you can click NEXT, NEXT, or ALT-N, ALT-N
and you will cruise right on down thru that Index like melted butter.
:action:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

And if one doesn't use Firefox, I assume they are SOL

·
Administrator
58,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

SpiderBob wrote:
And if one doesn't use Firefox, I assume they are SOL
IE is not loaded on my computer Bob, it is a Trojan Host :cheeky1:

Ummmm, let me see what can be done there.....

Bob,

IE works the same way, click inside the Index and then do a Control-F

enjoy........ :coollep:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

That did it :clapper:Now I see the benefits so much better

Thanks,

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Hello all;

First a question: Has the Index been of benefit to you?

Second, a request: IF you see a thread that you think has a lot of value for future eyes to see and learn from, would you please drop me a PM with a link to that thread.

First answer:- "haven't used it yet"

Second ans.:- "will do"
:):leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
imported post

Sorry, but I am unsure where, how, when to access this, and also unsure what it is all about??
possible explanation would be in order??
thanks
ducky

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
imported post

:clapper:Thanks for the Forum index.............I found out about Speed bleed brake

bleeders last night, went to the web site and ordered some. I didn't know they made such a thing. It will sure help me.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Ducky wrote:
Sorry, but I am unsure where, how, when to access this, and also unsure what it is all about??
possible explanation would be in order??
thanks
ducky
If you take the time to read the first post here, you will see the picture of the Index link and the description. I think AZ explained it there already.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
imported post

Hi, do any one knows any thing about fitting rear speakers,to a 2002 1800 goldwing. I have got the speakers fitted,but where do you plug the wiring plug into ? regards Hotshot rasher.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Hotshot Rasher wrote:
Hi, do any one knows any thing about fitting rear speakers,to a 2002 1800 goldwing. I have got the speakers fitted,but where do you plug the wiring plug into ? regards Hotshot rasher.
The plug is under the saddle near the rear, in a black rubber boot to the left side (when sitting on the bike).

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

SpiderBob wrote:

1. Similar to the answer provided for FireFox (above) IE can search though text as follows:

Click somewhere in that Left Column without clicking on a link (this sets your focus to that area).

Press Ctrl+F (or select the option "Find on this Page..." from under IE's "Edit" menu.

Depending on which version of IE you have you will either see a pop-up, or an expanded bottom bar in the browseritself into which a search word or phrase can be typed.
Both the pop-up and the "Find Bar" versions if IE support finding the next instance of the text you're looking for (click on buttons for "next" etc...)

I hope this helps, even if it is late in coming.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.