Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Pwhoever
3,243 Posts
I tried one of those outrigger style kits when I started thinking about trikes. I liked the price compared to a full blown conversion but... I went down to the actual Towpac factory to test drive one of their demos. Didn't like it one bit. Just didn't feel stable especially on turns or curves. There are many fans of that style but I'm not one. And it would be possible because drive is in middle that one outside wheel might get on high spot and drive wheel would be off pavement. Then you are not going anywhere.

·
Pwhoever
3,243 Posts
I just went to their site and it looks a little different from the traditional outrigger styles I have seen. The outrigger wheels look like they are attached to torsion style axles and the kit is advertised to have independent rear suspension. It could possibly be an improvement and a better result. I'd give it a try if they made it available here. Looks like it's just available in Portugal for now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just went to their site and it looks a little different from the traditional outrigger styles I have seen. The outrigger wheels look like they are attached to torsion style axles and the kit is advertised to have independent rear suspension. It could possibly be an improvement and a better result. I'd give it a try if they made it available here. Looks like it's just available in Portugal for now.
I've been driving trikes for 8 years now. I've never driven a tow-pac but from what I've heard people say it's a completely different ride. With a standard trike they "rake" the front end which pushes the front tire another 4" to 6" forward and makes an incredible difference on the handling and amount of effort and force needed to steer the trike. Think manual versus power steering. I would suggest that you test drive a regular trike as well as maybe even a Can-Am before you decide how you want to invest your money. The conversions are expensive but maybe you can get a good deal on a used trike if you prefer that. In my case switching to a trike was the best thing I did as far as riding goes. So much more relaxing and if you ride with a passenger, they will feel 100% safer on 3 wheels.

·
Pwhoever
3,243 Posts
I've been driving trikes for 8 years now. I've never driven a tow-pac but from what I've heard people say it's a completely different ride. With a standard trike they "rake" the front end which pushes the front tire another 4" to 6" forward and makes an incredible difference on the handling and amount of effort and force needed to steer the trike. Think manual versus power steering. I would suggest that you test drive a regular trike as well as maybe even a Can-Am before you decide how you want to invest your money. The conversions are expensive but maybe you can get a good deal on a used trike if you prefer that. In my case switching to a trike was the best thing I did as far as riding goes. So much more relaxing and if you ride with a passenger, they will feel 100% safer on 3 wheels.
I also heard from others that raked out the front after an outrigger install. My issue wasn't about controlling the steering but more about the stability of the kits. You would have to test drive one to understand. Most of the outrigger styles have the extra axles hardmounted with no suspension directly to the outrigger frame kind of like a hardtail motorcycle instead of independent suspension like this kit.
But I'm covered... Bike was triked about 5 years ago by California Sidecar. Much more pricy but been happy ever since.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've thought about similar rigs for winter, sometimes ice or snow arrives a bit by surprise.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts