Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

well i talked the old man into doin a bit of a road trip its not a billion miles but its all i could negotiate with my wife to be gone for 2 days, just enuf time for my dad and i to enjoy alittle more time together hopefully going to the black hills will be the next trip but im not puttin the eggs in my pudding yet still gotta negotiate with the wife

belive me her terms were steeper than i could have imagined.

this page takes a bit to load and it wouldnt let me caculate the milage back to town so with the milage back to town its 400-450 miles back tolocation A

there is a wall memorial for fallen soldiers at location I its basically whats in washington dc but on a smaller scale tons of sights to see, wetland preserves you name it i found most of this ride on a harley motorcycle book for "great ride" in my opinion any ride is a great ride but like i said its time that me and my dad can spend together.

were going to do this in july or august so we'll have alot of fun and no were not camping, im sleepin in a hotel im a wuss

http://maps.yahoo.com/#q1=Davenport%2C+IA&q2=Princeton%2C+IL&lat=41.186922422902946&lon=-90.362548828125&zoom=8&mvt=m&trf=0&q3=Bureau+Junction%2C+IL&q4=De+Pue%2C+IL&q5=Spring+Valley%2C+IL&q6=La+Salle%2C+IL&q7=Utica%2C+IL++61373&q8=Ottawa%2C+IL&q9=Marseilles%2C+IL&q10=Oglesby%2C+IL&q11=Hennepin%2C+IL&q12=Lacon%2C+IL&q13=Spring+Bay%2C+IL&q14=Pekin%2C+IL&q15=Green+Valley%2C+IL&q16=Havana%2C+IL&q17=Lewistown%2C+IL&q18=Banner%2C+IL&q19=Peoria%2C+IL&q20=Hopewell%2C+IL&highways=1&tolls=0

it was a PAIN IN THE BUTT to map because all the search engines that do mapping take the shortest, fastes route had to click on about every small town dragging and clicking i hightlighted it on a map in about 10 minutes took me 2hrs on the computer jezuz what a long 2hours

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
imported post

I gotta get a wide screen to read this!
:shock::shock::shock::shock:

It looks like a scenic ride following the lakes/river

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

no one made it a requirement to type worth a crap i never did pay attention in english class.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Wish I had the time for it to load so I could see what your route is.

Something about Yahoo that always plays havic for me :?Have you ever tried Google Maps??

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

I got it to list the towns u were going thru, but it never would load your actual route....

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

sorry i got premature on that one dusty
copy and paste

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

sorry i got premature on that one
copy and paste

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

i give up

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Google Maps works best (quickest) with either Fire Fox, or Google Chrome.

Internet Exploder seems to really bog down with it. :whip:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

peterbilt wrote:
i give up
PB .... sometimes there is a combination of characters in the Google Maps link, which when posted here, turns into an emoticon. To get around that copy and past the GM link at tinyurl.com. Then copy and post that and that will solve your posting/link problem.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

hey it worked look up at the previous link post you da man dusty

·
Itinerant Wing Preacher
875 Posts
imported post

Man look at all those straight lines on that map. One of the things that amaze me about that part of the country. Jay

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

yup there are not many twisty curvy roads in iowa and illinois have to go to the missouri basin or somewhere else its a conspiricy i tell ya

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
imported post

You are going to be in my neck of the woods on some of the ride. Places the wife and I ride to for short day trips. When you are in the Oglesby area you will want to stop at Starved Rock - Just to ride through the park. It has a lot of hiking trails if you are in to that kind of thing, but the ride through is beatuiful as well. Not far from there is Matthesian State Park (butchered the spelling on that one but it is close)that is also a good stop. These parks have deep gorges in otherwise flat landscape. One thing to remember is that "whatever goes down must also come back up".

The Memorial you are looking for in Marseilles was not well marked when we wnet there. I rode past it several times before I saw the signs. It is on the main road going through town and at the rivers edge on the right. It is for all the fallen in the Mid-east wars. Very well done.

Let me know the dates you will be in the area and maybe we can meet up someplace and ride with you for a bit.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Your traveling amongst all those beautiful lakes and waterways and not camping out and fishing with your Dad at all?, Boy, I could spend a couple of months there if the fishing was good.

Sound like a great trip however, and one you will remember forever. None of us are here forever, enjoy what you can when you can.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

no camping, couldnt negotiate tha that much time away if you knew my wife you'd understand

were leaving on a friday afternoon through sat and comming home sometime sunday

were going to hotel it its a heck of alot easier, we are planning a weekend trip to milwakkee my dad wants to tour the hd plant and go to the hd mesuem

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

PB .... instead of using/typing in so many 'Pointer Markers', you can just click and add your starting point, halfway/turn around pointand end point. If the route they suggest isn't the one you want, just click on their route and drag to the route you want. It's a lot quicker/easier.

You may want to watch this tutorial. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60tTQKVZ2VA&feature=relmfu

Your new map will look much less 'cluttered'. - http://g.co/maps/hsug9

Just takes some 'practice. Like I said, Google Maps runs much quicker in Fire Fox, or Google Chrome

I use it extensively for planning out all my tours and group rides.

My biggest complaint is that they keep on 'tweaking' it and things/options change from time to time and not always for the better. :X

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

A bit of a thread hijack, and I apologize for it in advance.

I just WISH I had a Dad that I could have this kind of fun with. I don't. Mine's not deceased, but neither is he an active part of my life. (really long story, can't go into it here)

If I came up with a "Hey, I wanna take 2 or 3 days with my Dad and ...." my wife would throw me out the door before I completed my sentence.

As she is now without her Dad, and has only her Mom, I respond the same way when she wants to do something with her Mom. I put airline tickets in her hand and take her to the airport before she can think twice.

Maybe your situation has to do with your age (30's right?) but please, don't take your Dad for granted.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.