Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Two weeks ago, I mentioned I was going to drive the pacific coast highway from San Diego to Monterey.
I was offered some great advice on some scenic byways that my GPS may not have considered. Thank you for that. Last Thursday as I was ticking off my list of things to pack, I got a call from my mom stating that my father had suddenly passed away. I offered to return to Canada immediately but was informed that my father did not want a funeral or any thin in the way of a ceremony. So, this trip turned out to be one of self discovery.

What I found out about myself I will keep to myself, what other things I found out, I will quickly list. First, we have a beautiful state here in California. Second, that the Goldwng was truly designed by folks that knew what touring is about. Upon arrival home, I had done 1200+ miles in 4 days, and I was still eager to ride more.

We here at this forum possess, for the most parts, great purpose built bikes. I am including a link to a slide show of just SOME of the pics I took on my trip. I hope you enjoy them.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad. Condolances to the family. A lot of times it seems we lose them to soon and wish we had spent more time with them. I hope he had a long and full life. May God bless and keep you and your family in these trying times ahead.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

I'm sorry for the loss of your father. It's never easy, even if you are expecting it. I'm glad you had a good trip anyway. I've not had the chance to tour much of California, but I did ride the North Coast a few years ago. Very beautiful.

I would love to see the pictures you took, but didn't see a link in your post. :baffled:

John

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

I too am sorry to hear about your father. The loss of ANY family member is devastating, but the loss of a parent can really 'yank' out your heart...We hold your family and you in our thoughts and prayers.

May the LORD keep you safe as you ride and allow your dad to be your Guardian Angel to accompany you on your journeys. Hold his memory close as you witness GOD's creation from the back of your WING.

I would also like to see the pictures you speak of...but there is no 'link' to them.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

I lost my father about this time last year. I am glad you had some time to consider things on your trip, and I bet you will make more discoveries as it all plays out.

JMO, but funerals, ceremonies and such are for the living, not the dead. I would suggest a trip to Canada soon to visit your mother and family there.

Looking forward to your trip pix!

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for the wishes.

I was sure I had posted an slide show. Let me try this one more time
<http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/">

I guess this is the only way to do so.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

That doesn't go to a slide show either.

Now this is just weird. After posting the first part of this responce the link in the post above me changed.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Dragoon wrote:
Thanks for the wishes.

I was sure I had posted an slide show. Let me try this one more time
<http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/">

I guess this is the only way to do so.
I already have the quicktime plugin and that link goes to the quicktime download page, not to your pics.

Keep trying, you'll get it right.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Sorry for your lose, The trip I'm sure meant a lot more than what you tell us, that is private and OK. I have from my dad his 1949 Indian Chief, still rideable but has not been ridden sense he died in 95. What it means is also private. I feel your lose, may God Bless you and him.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

Yep, Yep, yep....that worked this time ! :goofygrin:

You have some real nice shots there...I especially like the shots of the shoreline.....'sweeet'.

Thanks for sharing..:bowing:

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear about your lose. Thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

God Bless

Kevin

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

It's a strange time Dragoon, after a parent has passed on. Both of mine are gone now and I am an orphan I suppose. (At what point in time do you cease to be an orphan I wonder?) My father was the second youngest of 13. He was always in ill health yet would never let it get to him and was nearly always in good spirits. He outlived my mum and all but one of his other siblings. I hope the trip brought you some peace, thanks for sharing your trip with us.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I'm sorry about the loss of your father. I'll say a prayer for you and your family. Mine has been gone since 1991 and I still miss him everyday.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
imported post

The voyage of personal discovery is one we all should make whether we lost someone recently or not.

As already suggested you should consider a trip to see your mom and say a personal good bye to your dad. I'm speaking from personal experience. You see my mom died early October and us siblings didn't gather in our home town to bury her ashes until early November. Once we had done that my symptoms of depression rapidly disappeared.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear about the loss of your father Dragoon. I lost both my parents a couple years ago, neither of them wanted any kind of funeral. It's kind of weird feeling, like my anchor's dragging. By all means if you can go see you mother, this loss will be even worse for her. Your trip was a good idea, alone with the road and your bike can often clear out a lot of cobwebs.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
imported post

Dragoon, Very sorry to hear of your loss. At the age of 44.9 I too am without not one but both of my parents, father at 44 and mother at 57. Still today I feel an emptiness for them. Unlike you I have yet to take a trip such as yours to rediscover my self. I think I will do that this spring. Really appreciate the pics thx for sharing.

Tom

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Also sorry to hear about your loss, Dragoon, I lost my parents 5 years ago with in 3 months of each other, Mom first, we had Dad out to lunch after Church, I saw him look around the restaurant table at each of us , including our minister, then smile & look out the window at the blue sky, We were leaving for a 3 week bike trip the next day. I still feel that when he was looking at the blue sky he was telling Mom " I'll be along shortly" as he always did when she called us to eat. The last 2 nd last night of our trip we got the call from my brother that Dad had passed. Goldwing Therapy is an incredible blessing. Cheers. :waving::waving::action:

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear of your lost. I too have lost both of my parents. I get out and ride inthe mountains and do alot of thinking. Anyone that would like this next spring to ride in the Arkansas, Oklahoma and Missouri moutains and camp in state parks for a week or so let me know. As my freind said it is nice just doing nothing. Either you work to live or live to work. Life is short so ride your goldwing ever chance you get and make as many freinds as possible.:waving:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.