Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just for a hoot a while back I Googled the serial number 63-8182, not really expecting anything in return. It was the serial number of an old Air Force Jet. I had spent four years keeping it flying thirty odd years ago. Fixing it when it broke, changing tires and engines when they needed it.
Commissioned in 1963, I was only one of the many twenty-something year olds who bled and sweated to keep the thing flying over the many years of it's service. I "owned" it for four of those years. Safety wire and JP-4. Blood and knuckles in a labor of love.

I'll be double-dipped! Google returned a picture of an old friend relegated to an air museum somewhere out west. Yep! that's the one! I still have scars I got keeping that thing flying. Nice to know she still lives if only as a display. I'm here to say in the hands of the right person she could make you puke and pass out and make a lasting impression in her day.

Attachments

·
Bringer of Shenanigans
1,031 Posts
imported post

That's just up the road from me. They have some of my favorite planes on display. I need to make a run up there. They have an SR-71 sitting right next to an A-12.

Link

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,867 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
imported post

Now you did it Tom. I've got to dig out some slides to try and remember some old tail #'s. Might just turn into a week-end experience... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Here is JFK presenting our Squad with the Presidental Unit Citation, in January of 1963...My plane was in the hanger behind getting a new engine....I don't think I was there for this picture....But I did get my medal for it...This medal was for our Recon photos in Oct through November 1962, some may remember as the Cuban Crisies....That was long long ago. I don't remember the tail number on that plane but I do remember she brought me home many many times...call it old age or CRS...

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
imported post

AAHH the T-38 Talon.I flew the Canadian version, single and dual seat models. We called it the CF-5 Freedom Fighter. A fast, fun machine.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
imported post

The slides are old and didn't scan well. The smaller F4-E is backwards, the tail should show S.J. for Seymore Johnson Air Base. The gunship photos are in the revetments at dusk getting ready for a mission. I had a lot of hours on #569, the pic in flight was taken a few years ago. I don't know if it's still flying or not.

The F4-E is carrying guided bombs, small tv camera in nose of bomb transmits signal to W/O in back seat that uses a joy-stick and tv monitor to help fly it onto target. Pretty high-tech for 1970's... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
imported post

The 130-E & H modles carried two 20mm Vulcan gattlings @ 2,000rpm each, one Bofers 40mm, and one 105mm howitzer. I never knew one of these planes to everreturn to station with any ammo on board. They always called ground control and reported in "WINCHESTER" >>> meaning out of ammo... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

BTW...If you will look at those planes lined up you might notice that on the starboard side there are what look to be red paint drippings, these were not paint drippings, those are the outlines of Countries that plane had been to or flew missions over..920 and 906 were two of the "old planes"....While 916 had only seen service over Cuba...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.