Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thought I'd take a stroll over to the HD forums and check out the Goldwing bashing!
Well I toke some looking but I did find a Cpl threads on goldwings over there. Surprisingly they where not all that negative. mostly saying wings where very reliable and great touring bike's but had no room for ones feet.
Now I never visited all the forums so there might be some bashing going on out there.
What troubles me is that there are 3 threads on the 1st page of the general motorcycle forum spouting HD bashing.
Does that mean that the people here are so insecure with themselves and there bikes that they hide in a Goldwing forum and bash the other more popular brands.
Wilf

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Agreed.
Personally I get tired of the brand-bashing on any forum.
There's good stuff and bad that can be said about any brand, including 'wings.
Enough already !

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
The Harley forums have plenty of jabbing about other bikes. Most of it seems to revolve around the "Made in America" thought process, (of which, most of us see the fallacy).

But, I do see them as less narrow-minded in many ways than the Goldwing crowd. I've been very surprised how here on the Goldwing forum there are only four categories of street bikes. Goldwings, Zoom Splats, Metric Cruisers and Harleys. Basically, this group strikes me often as one of the most narrow-minded on the internet overall.

A forum poster here once called a K1600GT a zoom splat, as I guess it wasn't a Harley, thus (since only four categories exist) it fell into that category. That's just messed-up.

I'm often reminded of George Carlin's humor when here: "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?"

So I thought I'd take a stroll over to the HD forums and check out the Goldwing bashing!
Well I toke some looking but I did find a Cpl threads on goldwings over there. Surprisingly they where not all that negative. mostly saying wings where very reliable and great touring bike's but had no room for ones feet.
Now I never visited all the forums so there might be some bashing going on out there.
What troubles me is that there are 3 threads on the 1st page of the general motorcycle forum spouting HD bashing.
Does that mean that the people here are so insecure with themselves and there bikes that they hide in a Goldwing forum and bash the other more popular brands.
Wilf

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Agreed.
Personally I get tired of the brand-bashing on any forum.
There's good stuff and bad that can be said about any brand, including 'wings.
Enough already !
Great point!
I don't think the brand of tire cares which kind of bike it is rolling with, so long as it is rolling on a motorcycle. I like all the bikes.:)

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
That doesn't mean we have to do the same thing. I've gotten when the bashing starts to just going somewhere else. We all ride and that's all that matters. I must admit I have done it too. I'm not proud of it, but I have.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
I think sometimes the "bashing" is actually meant as good natured ribbing for fun or just for humour. My buddy and I are constantly at each other; he'll ask me to sew up his pants on the sewing machine I'm riding and I'll ask him how many liters per mile, of oil, he gets....
Unfortunately in a text message it can come across wrong.
The reason we all (mostly) wave at each other on the road is because we're a brotherhood. A HD may not be the bike for me but we all have the same goal in the enjoyment of our motorcycle passion.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
I don't bash HD or any other brand. I love motorcycles and most of my friends ride Harleys that I think are really nice bikes, but I have always ridden and owned Hondas. They don't give me any grief about my wing either, but if they did, it wouldn't matter. I don't let others influence my likes or dislikes. ;)

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
When it's good natured ribbing, I enjoy it. But it does seem to get very carried away sometimes. I don't like it when that happens.

I have noticed that there are certain features that appeal to some people and not to others, and likewise there are other features that appeal to the latter and not the former.

For example, some people like the open ride and wouldn't like a windshield, and others like a windshield and wouldn't like riding a bike without one.

Fortunately, there are a lot of different styles of bikes.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
My son rides a Harley and I rib him about it.
I don't see it as bashing anything.
If you can't take a joke, don't give a joke.:waving:

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Just Ride, I could care less what anyone else rides, I ride what I feel like sometimes its the Wing, sometimes its HD, and sometimes its whatever I have that's running. It's you being social not the Bike. If you don't socialize what do ya care! Enjoy the ride, you never no when it may be your last.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
Shucks at N-5 I rode a Yahama Virago 1100, my oldest son rode his Harley Sportster that I rebuilt just for that M&G...I have yet to ride that Harley and knowing how proud he is of it, I couldn't look him in the eyes ever if I accidently put a scratch on it...Kid him?? Yes I do but bash him ???..Never him nor any Harley owner..

·
Registered
517 Posts
we should limit the bashing to the those classes of individuals whose behaviors on a motorcycle offends the general public and increases the probability of restrictive legislation. reckless or stunt riding on the street and obnoxiously loud exhaust systems immediately come to mind.

anyone riding responsibly is someone we all need to help prevent legislation or fule making that impinges on our riding freedom.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
The folks I ride with are about 80% HD's. We rib each other all the time, but never any bashing. We do have a standing rule I get to start my Wing first at each stop - just so I can tell it's running !

Now I did record my neighbors HD being "warmed up" one day. I recorded the warming up sounds on a cassette tape, and played it at fully volume on my Wing at out of our stops. I did get a good laugh from the others on that stunt.

We all have a sense of humor and ride just for the sake of finding that 200 mile hamburger.....

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Wilf
Good observation Wilf. One of my main reasons for leaving a lot of subjects alone here. On no other site that I am on is there any bashing remotely close to what I find here. I am even considering trading my Wing in for an Ultra as people approach me as I am a weirdo due to the fact I have an old Wing. I love my Wing but I have to agree, Wingers can be different and extremely narrow minded.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Good observation Wilf. One of my main reasons for leaving a lot of subjects alone here. On no other site that I am on is there any bashing remotely close to what I find here. I am even considering trading my Wing in for an Ultra as people approach me as I am a weirdo due to the fact I have an old Wing. I love my Wing but I have to agree, Wingers can be different and extremely narrow minded.
I spend some time on the "MyLesPaul" forum (guitars) and from what I've seen they're pretty far ahead in the running for "Most Mean Spirited Posts". Typically from just a (sadly predictable) handful within the larger group of posters.. But boy, does it set a tone that can be a downer when you've had a long day at work and just want some positive vegging for a while with likeminded people.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I have never bashed Harleys or any other brand. Truth is I would like to own and ride one. Not because they are better, but because they are different, and provide a different kind of riding experience. One thing I do have a problem with however, and this has nothing to do with anything about the motorcycles themselves, is the "lifestyle" of many Harley riders. I am not a fan of "outlaw bikers" whether they are real or fake. Riders who wear the "pirate" costume, with no helmet or a non DOT beanie, or a nazi helmet, simply do not make a good impression on me. And for some reason most of them have chosen Harley as their "brand" though I see many on Harley "clones" (custom choppers based on Harley designs, but without a single genuine HD part) and even on Japanese cruisers. If I ever ride a Harley, I will dress the same as I do to ride a Goldwing or any other motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Usually when bashing goes on, the basher has zero experience with the object of the bash, alot of ignorance out there.....generally the HD crowd believes their brand is the best, whether it the "made in America" factor or not....they don't believe that there is a whole other cycling crowd out there that cares nothing about how their bike sounds, it's intimidation factor or how it adds to their persona....the "other" crowd wants bikes that perform, are comfortable and reliable, taking advantage of the latest technology....without the $$$$

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Mostly what I like about Harleys is their low technology (my Goldwing electronics are giving me fits right now), their sound (not loud pipes, just the type of sound they make due to their design) and the fact that they vibrate. Sometimes I want performance, sometimes I just want to kick back and ride. I like knowing there is a real internal combustion engine down there. I would not ride an electric motorcycle even if it had the same range and performance as one powered by an internal combustion engine. Internal combustion was my first love, back around age 8, and has played a very important role in my life ever since. Vintage cars are my other hobby besides motorcycles. I am also a lifelong amateur drag racer and engine builder.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You know I can honestly say I do not experience bashing with anyone I come in contact with, even from the friends I have that are 1%'ers. I sold my Harleys a number of years ago and have since just not had the capitol to buy another. The past 2 years I rode a little Honda Rebel and even took it on a couple of charity runs that almost crippled me for doing on that god awful uncomfortable bike. Never once was bashed, caught some ribbing, but never bashed. Bashing has a lot to do with personal perspective, and personal tolerance to just good old word play. Nobody can say a word about a guy finishing a November run in the rain on a Honda Rebel that has no rain gear in 34 degree weather just to help someone else out.

The wing I just purchased has gotten nothing but compliments from the same guys you expect to bash. The only close comment came from the same individual that offered me 3 times what I paid for it. Bashing is not what you ride so much as how you handle the word play, if you get offensive, you have it coming. Nobody will fault your ride if your true to yourself, and have fun with yourself and others.

More than anything we all need to enjoy what we are doing if not why do it. If it comes down to american made, I want a Victory, they are more american made then any Harley since before the AMF days...lol

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.