Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK, where to start.
Well, last weekend was the 50[sup]th[/sup] anniversary for my aunt and uncle in Westlake Ohio, Westlake is a suburb of Cleveland. Wendy and I knew our chance for a nice ride so we went to work getting the girl ready. First thing was to attach the new armrests for her and order the new exhaust, well the writing on the wall should have been read when I was informed that the exhaust system would be delayed until Thursday and we were to leave Friday morning.

Well, I get the call at 2pm Thursday that the system has come in, so off I go to get it, bring it home and get it attached so I can try it out. Old one came off REAL easy with the help of my Roto-Zip, new one on with no trouble, and off I go to test it.
THIS WAS A NEW EXHAUST. The writing on the wall is now in caps, and I’m still not seeing it.

It was so loud they could hear me slowing up a mile away, HD riders were covering their ears in disgust, unbelievable. So, I go home and look at it, Wendy wanted a ride as well, so I filled the resonance chamber around the outside with #0000 steel wool and off we go to my folks. They live about 10 miles away so we were taking some of our clothes there to go in the van with them. By the time we got there, Wendy had tears in her eyes, the roar, while” somewhat” reduced was unbearable for her. So off I went to a local Home Depot to address the issue. I picked up some earplugs to help her get home and a package of very course #0 steel wool. We got back home around 11pm, she went in to get aspirin and I sat and looked at the wing. If I don’t get this fixed, there will be no ride, and love them as I do, riding that far with my folks is not an option I want to think about.

Then I came up with a plan. In the corner of my garage/workshop/mancave/fortress of ineptitude is one of those spring loaded shelf thingy’s that you put in the shower for all those doodads. I pulled apart and measured the spring, it’s about 23 inches long, this’ll do nicely. I grab the Roto-Zip and cut it into 2 equal pieces, I take 2 of the rolls of course steelwool and carefully open them up down the center and run the coil spring through them, pack it tight on the outside of the spring leaving the inside clear and run it up the exhaust pipe, then with a hopeful prayer, do the same to the other side. Then I cut a piece of ½ inch square stainless steel fencing for my stepsons snake cage and install that to keep the sub-baffle from blowing out. Then the moment of truth, and I hit the ignition.

Almost purring like a kitten. I take it for a ride and love it, but the test will be the next ride and I get Wendy to take a short ride with me, it passed muster, the trip is on. Now I know this isn’t the best idea and I know I will have to pull it and install a better, proper baffle later, but it works.

Now the party isn’t until Saturday night, we leave Friday morning heading down into PA. and then west, a long lazy beautiful 500 mile route through the Alleghany State Park and eventually to our destination. Well, about 10:30 pm we’re about 15 miles from my uncles on the freeway when I hear the initial flater of the engine, I neglected to realize the fuel tank was low. No big deal I figure and switch over to the emergency tank and wait for the engine to pick up. It doesn’t pick up. The air is hot, the bike is hot, the engine is hot, and now I’m hot, I have a vapor lock.

The writing on the wall is now not only in caps, but it’s in Boldface, still I ain’t looking.
We nurse it off the freeway and to a gas station, park it, pop the fuel line to relieve pressure and let cool. Soon it starts with no problem and we’re off again.

We arrive safe, have a great time and all to soon it’s Sunday morning and we’re on our way back home. It was all so worth it. We’re going to take the Seaway trail home, what a weekend.
Did I mention the writing on the wall.

Now we’re on our way home, going down the 480, doing about 70 mph, when I hear a rapid tinkling sound coming from the rear, sort of like something bouncing off of spokes, only I don’t have spokes. Something’s not right, but what. Then I know. My rear tire is gone and I’m fishing down the road at 70 mph, 4 lanes away from the edge of the road. Now I have no idea where the traffic went, they were there when the fit hit the shan, but then they were gone. Wendy, the perfect passenger that she is, did EXACTLY what I told to do if she ever felt we were in a bad situation. She leaned forward just enugh that knew where she was and that we were both centered on the bike together. As quick as could I made for the side of the of the road and looked the grass over, this was going to hurt and I knew it, a gravelly edge and then the grass area tapered downhill. No soft flat to aim for. We managed to got to the side and Just as I went into the gravel I pulled in the clutch and locked up the brakes as hard as I could. We stopped so hard was sitting on the tank, Wendy was in my seat and we were still upright. Someday, I will me meet my guardian angel, and when I extend a grateful handshake, he/she is gonna kick my ass.

Now, one thing I neglected to mention was my own stupidity, since packing space was at a minimum and I never needed it before, I left my possible’s bag at home, after all, I never needed it before. So we call and have someone bring a can of fix a flat and get it off the highway and to a station. Then we find a place to get a plug kit, re-inflate and head back to my uncles, I’m not riding home on a plug. Well, it’s Sunday, no place is open to get a tire. So, Wendy goes home with my brother (I still owe her for that one), and folks and a cousin decide to stay the night at my uncles with me. Next day, new tire mounted and balanced, everyone gathered in the garage watching me work, waiting to get on the road. I’m feeling pressured and make my next mistake. The axle rod is not going in, and being impatient, I force it, HARD. Yeah, I know BIG mistake. Well, I get the tire on, go to spin it by hand and notice that it’s awful tight, maybe it’s the brake pads, a short test run will set them, so off I go.

The writing on the wall is now in caps, boldfaced and in bright red print, but am I looking ..Noooo.

I hear a slight grinding sound and quickly realize the rear tire isn’t following right. Back to the garage, pull it apart, yup, I busted up the bearings. So now we call around and find a Honda dealership about 20 minutes away with new bearings, so off we go. Get home, put it together, test ride, all’s well, shower, suit up and hit the road as a group.
We stop, as planned at fifty miles just so I can check air pressure in the new tire and give the bike a another once over, all is well, it’s time to go home. We pull out onto the 90 and for the first time I put my feet up on the highway pegs.

That’s when the throttle cable broke.

Well, at this point were near my cousin mikes house (son of the anniversary aunt and uncle), AAA takes us there and we spend the night at his place. The next morning he’s off to Alaska leaving me keys to his jeep, my folks leave for home and I’m calling to locate a cable. Find, go pick it up, install it, shower, and ready as Wendy pulls in. She came al the way just to be sure I didn’t have a problem and get stranded.

Well, needless to say the rest of the way home the wing performed admirable, not a single problem from her. But that isn’t to say that there were no more problems, you see I broke 2 MAJOR rules of traveling on a motorcycle….

1> 1>Never have a large antipasto salad with zesty Italian dressing and
2> 2>NEVER, NEVER EVER trust a fart. Especially if you ride commando, nuff said.

Needless to say, it was a crappy ride home.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

kinda sounds like a grape story--- yep-- they come in bunches.

·
Deceased 1/2017
1,206 Posts
imported post

Man I was feeling really sorry for you the whole way thru reading this and kept saying I hope this is gonna work out for the good and then I get down to your 2 points. The guys in the shop came over to see what the big noise was (I'm at work), and they find me in the floor where my chair turned over backwards while I was laughing so hard at point #2.:ROFL:
Since that happened I'll be extra careful on the way home since I rode in today.....:raspberry:

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
imported post

That story proves the adage, when you think you have problems, look around and you'll see someone worse off than you. Sorry to hear about your troubles, but I have to say, that story really made my day.

Good luck in the future and may the force be with you. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

Richardrwg wrote:
you see I broke 2 MAJOR rules of traveling on a motorcycle….

1> 1>Never have a large antipasto salad with zesty Italian dressing and
2> 2>NEVER, NEVER EVER trust a fart. Especially if you ride commando, nuff said.

Needless to say, it was a crappy ride home.
Yep those SHARTS disguise themselves as a simple fart then:shock::shock::shock::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Oiii!! Very glad you made it home in one piece! I also laughed at your end points and I know exactly what you mean. IBS and a missing gall bladder cause my intestinal distress! :shock:

John

·
Life Time Premium Member
3,918 Posts
imported post

We are right on your route in Hamburg, New York. We are here if you need us or just want to stop for coffee.

D-Rod and Button Lady

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

I laughed like crazy and then said wait ; I've been there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

me D-Rod, on the way home I was thinking about it, but after the "event" at the Jamestown rest stop, all I wanted was home.

There is something else I want to add here. I suppose a few might wonder why I put in all of the events, embarrassing as they were. The reason is I learned a lot on this lesson.

First, no matter how reliable your ride has been, stuff happens. A flat tire can happen to anyone, anytime in any vehicle/ Had I taken my possibles bag, I would have been prepared for it and gotten myself off the highway. I won't make that mistake again

It was impatience and foolishness that broke the bearings, not a failure on the part of my ride. Another mistake I won't make again.

The throttle cable, well, the wing is 28 years old and if I can't expect things to break along the way, I better just quit riding.

The "blow-out" on the way home, it made me laugh. Of all the things that seemed to go wrong, it seemed to sum it all up. And yet, it didn't. It can't, because I don't accept it as such. I could look back on the event as a miserable ride, or find the frustrating humor in all. A different kind of adventure if you will. To many times things happen along the way and we focus so much on what went wrong, that we ALLOW them to overcome everything else.

A ride is a ride is a ride, how we look at it and look back on it is up to us.

And for the record, I'll be riding to Ohio again, if for no other reason than to do it and get alive again. Besides, I saw some sights that I'd like to see again.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Oh the joys of continuing education...........

·
It aint rocket science
3,924 Posts
imported post

D-Rod wrote:
We are right on your route in Hamburg, New York. We are here if you need us or just want to stop for coffee.
With a tall milk of magnesia on the side plz.:D

JD

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a few of my trips in a car. My mom had an old hyundai and every time we drove from Indiana to Ohio, it had a problem. It could have been that when my mom was driving we were doing 90+ because she was so nervous that she was white knuckled the entire trip. lol. Any ways, thank you for the learning experience. :)

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
imported post

RobTheHillbilly wrote:
Man I was feeling really sorry for you the whole way thru reading this and kept saying I hope this is gonna work out for the good and then I get down to your 2 points. The guys in the shop came over to see what the big noise was (I'm at work), and they find me in the floor where my chair turned over backwards while I was laughing so hard at point #2.:ROFL:
Since that happened I'll be extra careful on the way home since I rode in today.....:raspberry:
I think I just messed myself laughin!!:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I have to chime in here, Wendy that is. Point #1: the steel wool fitted around the springs were awfully reminiscent of giant, silver tampons. And like said implements, they did a fine job plugging up a mess.

Point #2: really just a missed part of the event. When he pulled off after the broken throttle, he neglected to mention that to keep the wing upright he had to pull some fancy maneuvers, secondarily causing a different kind of blowout. So much for the crotch of that pair of jeans! And do you all remember his mentioning he goes commando? Apparently working pn the throttle wearing his only pair of shorts, his mother mentioned that maybe this was one of those times he should consider NOT going commando :)

Just had to make sure these two things were mentioned!

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

I have to chime in here, Wendy that is. Point #1: the steel wool fitted around the springs were awfully reminiscent of giant, silver tampons. And like said implements, they did a fine job plugging up a mess.

Point #2: really just a missed part of the event. When he pulled off after the broken throttle, he neglected to mention that to keep the wing upright he had to pull some fancy maneuvers, secondarily causing a different kind of blowout. So much for the crotch of that pair of jeans! And do you all remember his mentioning he goes commando? Apparently working pn the throttle wearing his only pair of shorts, his mother mentioned that maybe this was one of those times he should consider NOT going commando :)

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Richardrwg wrote:

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.