Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Following up on the recent posts about different riding attire, I thought it would be a good move to update my riding gear and move up from sweat shirt to mesh gear.
I have been looking around the different makes from Olympia, Tourmaster, Joe Rocket etc.
Last night I tried on a Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket, after a near hernia lifting this thing of the hanger, I thought I might venture here to see what other thought about this weighty issue.
I understand when we are riding it isnt the rider lifting the weight but the bike but I am sure the weight issue might have a detrimental effect on the rider while astride the bike.

Any ideas? I have looked at a few sites and cant find any reference to the actual weight of the clothing.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

If it's got decent protection it's going to pack some weight. My casual mesh has elbow, wrist, shoulder and waist protection. Weights near 40lbs. My leather weights in at 58lbs

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Tricky great question, that never crossed my mind. bookmarked this thread to learn a little something:cool:

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

morram wrote:
If it's got decent protection it's going to pack some weight. My casual mesh has elbow, wrist, shoulder and waist protection. Weights near 40lbs. My leather weights in at 58lbs
Wow...Thats too much weight for me,my chaps ,vest and leather jacket might weigh all but 20 lbs...

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Must be a Canadian thing. :) So they are putting lead in the jackets up there eh?

You all got me curious so I got out several of mine and hung them up to a quite accurate fish scale and ......

My scorpion mesh jacket with the armor in it weighs in at 8 pounds.
My tourmaster full armored jacket with winter liner weighs in at 11/12 pounds.

Kit

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

I never weighed it, but I've got a Tourmaster Draft Air armored mesh warm weather jacket. Just whip another layer or two in the trunk, and you're good for most conditions. Under $100.00, too.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

[align=center]Hot Weather Riding Jacket - Tourmaster Draft Air Mesh

[/align]

[align=center]
[/align]

My XL Tourmaster Draft Air mesh jacket weighs 1.704kg/60.13oz

This jacket is cooler than riding in just a T-Shirt as the mesh shields you from the sun's rays and has great air-flow.

If the weather cools down, I put my Froggs Toggs rainsuit over top, to block the wind. For COLD weather riding, I put my Tourmaster Synergy heated jacket linerunder it.

[align=center]3 Season 3/4 Length Riding Jacket-Tourmaster Saber Series 2

[/align]
[align=center]
[/align]

[align=left]My 2XL Tourmaster Saber Series 2 3/4 length jaket(with insulated zip out liner) weighs in at 2.219kg/80.38oz. Great for anything but mid summer riding, as it doesn't vent very well behind the Wing's expansive fairing. Other than that, this is a full featured, well thought out, weather proof jacket, at a resonable price.[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]Dusty[/align]

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for thi info Dusty, It's good to have info from people who actually have the jacket.
What do you use for protective mesh pants?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

tricky wrote:
What do you use for protective mesh pants?
I don't own a pair, - yet. ;)

[align=center]Tourmaster Caliber Pant

[/align]

[align=center]

[/align]

[align=left]What I do have, is a set of Tourmaster Caliberpants. Weight - 1.668kg/58.83ozs
[/align]

[align=left]Excellent pant for2/3rds of my riding season, which is generally April 1 - Nov. 30, here in the mountains and passes. Once the valley begins to heat up, I switch to wearing shorts underneath, but when the temps start topping the 80's, I just wear jeans, as the Calibers are just too warm! Again, these pants are 'full featured', coming with a removable quilted zip-out linerand would be great if they had a 'Mesh Option', but they don't. :(
[/align]

[align=left]I am searching for an inexpensive all mesh pant, but haven't run across anything that strikes my fancy yet. :? I might just end up ordering the Tourmaster Venture-Air.Besides being fairlyinexpensive,(shop around)the reviews I've read on them have been very positive, for the most part. I won't need either of the 2 removableliners(wind/waterproof, insulated)that come with them, as I will use my Frogg Toggs and heated pant liner, to give me maximum versatility.[/align]

[align=left]Dusty[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left][/align]

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

I have the Venture Air pants, but I couldn't tell you what they weigh. If you want to know I can weigh them tonight when I get home.

John

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Just weighed our summer air pants from Heine Gericke and they weigh less than 2 lb.

If you can't cope with that Tricky you will have to get Big John Boy to carry you around on his back!!!!:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I have no doubt that big johnboy would be amenable to carrying his dad around. But he may defer if I was wearing a Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket at the time :)

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

It would appear that you need one like Dusty Boots then but in the colour of your bike.........

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.