Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ended up loosing the left side panel on my '84 GL1200a.

I have found locally someone who has panels from an '80-'83 GL1100.

Will they fit on my GL1200?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Unfortunately no. You'll need one from any 1200. Rudy makes and sells a retention kit to prevent loss of these hard to come by items, it's well worth checking with him on a kit. One other thing worth doing is to get some new rubber grommets, the old tired ones lose their grip.

http://wingstuff.com/shop/grommets_fasteners-gl1200

Prices on used left side covers are a bit hair raising so it's worth doing whatever to keep from losing them.
eBay 1200 left side cover

Slightly cheaper one.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Be sure and replace the grommets.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
$150 for a new cover that only needs painting was a pretty good deal. Most people don't appreciate the amount of time effort it takes to make something like that. The other problem is that the market is very small so it's hard to make anything from your work and the cost of materials. I've never understood how so many folks will let the grommets go to pot and still expect the covers to stay on. If it takes little or no effort to push the covers in place it will take little or no effort for them to come off.

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
$150 for a new cover that only needs painting was a pretty good deal. Most people don't appreciate the amount of time effort it takes to make something like that. The other problem is that the market is very small so it's hard to make anything from your work and the cost of materials. I've never understood how so many folks will let the grommets go to pot and still expect the covers to stay on. If it takes little or no effort to push the covers in place it will take little or no effort for them to come off.
+1. Covers are very expensive new, it makes sense to do all we can to keep the originals.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
I know this thread is old, just idea for people who might still be having trouble. Same thing happened to me...after a year of waiting to buy one i finally made a pair out of wood to see what it looks like. since i don't have a welder. Cost was 45 bucks for supplies. Just a different idea for you. battery side was not as accurate with that side since i was blind for drilling my holes. I made some mistakes but worth a try.

Good luck to all

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts
yes, side covers can be pricey, the battery side cover wants to pop out cuz of big thing that is supposed to go NEXT to battery, but wont stay there. I got new grommet, that sort of helped. I got little hardware chain and drilled little holes in side of side covers to hook little chain to it and loop it around frame, it doesn't look too bad. I should've hot glued the chain across the whole INSIDE of the covers so they are less apt to be stolen for the emblems by kids with nothing to do and want a necklace. Sometimes side covers come up on e bay for a decent price ~$50? Prevention is protection.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Battery covers are lost more than any other on most models of Goldwing. It's caused by the grommets wearing out. The battery cover is the most often removed cover. That wears those grommets out faster than the other side. New grommets are still available inexpensively and are easy and quick to replace.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
On my 1200, I have a long nylon boot lace secured at the rear frame in front of shock, it loops through a 7/32 hole in rear lip of cover, crosses back side of cover, and exits at front near triangle shaped motor mount with 6-8" excess and a knot. When riding, the excess is looped a few times in a couple half-hitches through part of the rear top motor mounts. When need to remove, I undo half-hitches which gives me enough slack to lay side cover into saddlebag or on rear seat. No way coming loose accidently.

On the 1500 Trike, same type nylon boot lace, tied to frame behind cover above swing arm, comes out through 7/32 hole at front in very lower lip, travels on outside beside pass floor board towards rear and then back through 7/32 hole with maybe 12" slack and a loop in end. In use I reach underneath, pull slack, and have a small elastic bungie underneath I hook in lop to maintain tension so those covers can't come off. When needed to remove, reach under and unhook bungie and pull slack out and then easy to remove cover and slack allows me to lay cover on rear seat.

When I bought the trike the owner had just ordered a new side cover with emblem from Honda, I stopped at Honda shop to pick it up the day I took possession, his tab, cover alone in two tone paint over $400, forget what total was. Lesson learned.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.