Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Pwhoever
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I already have an extra rear rim and an extra used front rim will be arriving today. And because I had to cut my road trip short last week, I will be using those funds to finance the cost of the powder coating of my rims. My brother is putting on a set of black powder coated wheels on his cruiser. They look pretty cool and I remember seeing Luxo2rwith black powder coat on his wheels and they looked like THIS.His look like my brother's as well. Although it does look nice, I still think that the black tires will kind of blend into the black rims. Maybe if it was kind of a metallic flake I might like it better. I have also seen a silver color that might not look too bad. And I am also considering going with a gold color. Maybe also a gold with metallic flake. I want something that will kind of make the wheels stand out but not look gaudy. I definitely will not do white. I no longer use the rotor covers and like the naked look of the front wheel.

So if it were you, would you go with black with metallic flake, a silverish color, gold, gold with metallic flake, or some other color completely? And these will be mounted on a Pearl Glacier White GL1500.....

This is kind of a one time deal and I'd like to get it done right the first time around. TIA for the input.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

I would lean toward black myself ... maybe look at a white wall tire to set it off. (More than you want to spend I'm sure :) )

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

What color is your bike?

Pics. would help too.

·
Pwhoever
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Its just the basic all white 97 Aspencade. No pinstripes, accents, 2 tone... I'll see if I can get a quick photo and post it.

·
Pwhoever
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Here's a photo of my bike (ignore the clutter behind it in my garage....)

Here is an example of gold metallic

And here

Here is my brother's black gloss wheels

Here is an example of silver

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I like the silver myself!

Dubs

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Mine are already powder coated. Dirt and aluminum oxide.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
Mine are already powder coated. Dirt and aluminum oxide.
I'm right there with ya Rudy!!!:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
imported post

I like the silver, I think gold would be a little gaudy. Black is nice too.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I liked the silver as well.

·
Pwhoever
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Well thanks for the opinions and I decided to go with silver as well. I just got done dropping off the rims at the powder coater and will have them back in about a week and a half. The place has gotten really good reviews and is family run. I was able to discuss all the details and feel pretty confident. They are also going to grind down the air valve tab for meprior topowder coating as I am going with the 83 degree permanentvalves anyway. The color that I decided on is a lighter silver with metallic flake and will also be clear coated as well. I have been assured that the clear coat used is very durable. It will be about $95 a rim and includes all the prep, cleaning (blasting)and powder coating. I have seen places that might be a little cheaper but these guys are local, have been there for quite a while, and have gotten really good reviews form other motorcycle forums. The only thing I had to do was remove all the hardware: brake rotors, bearings, rubber dampers, air valves, etc... I will post pics after it is done. Here is a sample of the color I went with. This is on a bell housing cover for a transmission. It looks a lot better when outside in the sunlight but it will give you an idea:

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

If you took your rims and buffed them out, wouldn't they look like you have now? I'm confused as to the purpose of doing this. The powder coat looks like my stock rims cleaned up and i'm assuming yours are stock. :?

·
Pwhoever
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Yes I am getting stock rims powder coated. It's hard to tell with that picture but that color really looks nothing at all like polished stock rims. The closest I could get to describing it is that it looks just like a silver pearl coat paint with clearcoat over it. I admit that I am kind of lax, more like extremely lazy about paying the proper attention to my wheels but by doing the powder coat, it will be light years easier to keep the rims looking clean. The finish that will come on them should keep the crud from gaining a foothold. Instead of having white spots, pitting, and grime building up unless I polish them regularly, I should be able to hit them with a little soap and water every now and then and they will always look good as new. I have seen the results that some members have gotten by buffing and polishing their wheels and it truly looks great. However it is usually a project that can take up to several hours to do and when it comes to that, I am not a patient person. I will admit that doing the back wheel may be a bit of overkill because very little of it can be seen but I wanted it to match the front wheel anyway. On my front wheel, I no longer use the rotor covers and prefer the naked look much better. With the powder coat, they should always have a real nice appearance. I don't mind investing a little money up front if I can save myself extra work down the road.

And I'm starting to have an aversion to too much chrome. I think there is enough already on the wings without needing shiny chrome looking wheels. Thats just my personal opinion. I'm starting to kind of like the look of painted parts istead. Depending on how these wheels come out, I may consider powder coating other metal items on the bike as well.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
imported post

The silver should look great and the powder coat should clean up easy.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

You do know there are different colors of flake, right?

PPG > Prizmatique

That flake will have your black wheel changing colors in the sunlight. Kind of a holographic effect over the black. Maybe use some pearl with it...

Attachments

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

pwhoever wrote:
With the powder coat, they should always have a real nice appearance. I don't mind investing a little money up front if I can save myself extra work down the road.

You do have a point about how long keeping the stock wheels clean and the amount of time it takes to get them looking good once they're dirty. It should look really nice when you're done.

Al

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

pwhoever wrote:
I already have an extra rear rim and an extra used front rim will be arriving today. And because I had to cut my road trip short last week, I will be using those funds to finance the cost of the powder coating of my rims. My brother is putting on a set of black powder coated wheels on his cruiser. They look pretty cool and I remember seeing Luxo2rwith black powder coat on his wheels and they looked like THIS.His look like my brother's as well. Although it does look nice, I still think that the black tires will kind of blend into the black rims. Maybe if it was kind of a metallic flake I might like it better. I have also seen a silver color that might not look too bad. And I am also considering going with a gold color. Maybe also a gold with metallic flake. I want something that will kind of make the wheels stand out but not look gaudy. I definitely will not do white. I no longer use the rotor covers and like the naked look of the front wheel.

So if it were you, would you go with black with metallic flake, a silverish color, gold, gold with metallic flake, or some other color completely? And these will be mounted on a Pearl Glacier White GL1500.....

This is kind of a one time deal and I'd like to get it done right the first time around. TIA for the input.
I have a close friend with a 99 Valk. He powder coated his wheels a silver color. LOOKS GOOD!!!!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.