Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Good morning to all,

I would like to know how one can tell if the Goldwing 1800 has ABS brakes or not. ( and not by asking the salesperson).

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

Two things... look for the ABS emblem on the front lower forks, by the brake rotor cover. Also you will see the ABS ring on the wheel hub closer to the axle on both wheels. Looks like a toothed ring.

·
Premium Member
3,795 Posts
imported post

aht-six, what's wrong with the thutty-thutty...:cheeky1:Good to see you're stillA-ROUND... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Thanks for the pictures. That really, really helps. All of you in this forum are awesome. thanks again.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,612 Posts
imported post

Need to drift away from the gun talk folks. Banned topic.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
imported post

I didn't purchase the ABS when I bought my 2008 GL1800. What would it take to add it on after the fact?

Just curious,

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,612 Posts
imported post

`
I kind of think that would just about be impossible. The expense would be horrendous with repair parts pricing.

:leprechaun:

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

I have never heard of anyone adding the ABS to a non-ABS bike.

Several years ago I did see a break down of the required parts and associated costs, the total price at that time was $5000.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
imported post

Thanks,

I have never had ABS brakes and didn't want to spend the extra $1,000 to get it this time. Just was curious about what was involved....

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I would like ABS. The ABS brakes on my brother's BMW work great. I rode his bike into gravel and tried to lock up the brakes. To my utter surprise instead of being dumped on the ground and damaging his bike and my butt the machine just came to a stop with no sliding of slithering. I was able to turn back onto the pavement with the brakes still solidly on without and sliding. I don't believe I could have handled the brakes as well as the ABS system did. On dry pavement it might be possible to equal or exceed the ABS but you'd have to be a very practiced rider and know where the stop was going to be, if a deer jumped out in front of you the ABS could be life savers because you wouldn't lock up a wheel in an unplanned panic stop.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
The ABS brakes on my brother's BMW work great. I rode his bike into gravel and tried to lock up the brakes. To my utter surprise instead of being dumped on the ground and damaging his bike and my butt the machine just came to a stop with no sliding of slithering.
So you don't like: :shock:

Your brother?
BMWs in general?

Remind me not to loan you a bike! ;) :cheeky1:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Nope, don't dislike either, he dared me to do it when I told him I didn't believe his ABS was as great as he claimed. I ate a bit of crow after that test. I really didn't like his bike as much as my 'Wing but that brake system was really something I'd like to have.

·
Nobody
364 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
I would like ABS. The ABS brakes on my brother's BMW work great. I rode his bike into gravel and tried to lock up the brakes. To my utter surprise instead of being dumped on the ground and damaging his bike and my butt the machine just came to a stop with no sliding of slithering. I was able to turn back onto the pavement with the brakes still solidly on without and sliding. I don't believe I could have handled the brakes as well as the ABS system did. On dry pavement it might be possible to equal or exceed the ABS but you'd have to be a very practiced rider and know where the stop was going to be, if a deer jumped out in front of you the ABS could be life savers because you wouldn't lock up a wheel in an unplanned panic stop.
I watched a BMW rep do that on a demo ride last year at Americade. I was VERY IMPRESSIVE to say the least! He drove down the road-then off onto the gravel shoulder and hit the brakes, it was truly remarkable to see it in person. He obviously believed in the system to do it. You couldn't pay me to do that-ABS or not!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Like I said I was amazed how well they worked on the Beemer. I can sure see how they'd be great when suddenly confronted with a deer or some such surprise in the road. You can argue how a well trained rider can outperform ABS but even a well trained rider caught short might appreciate a system where you just slam on the brakes and come to a stop without losing control.

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

I'm amazed at how good the brakes are the 1800.

A few weeks ago, I took the MSF experienced riders course two up with my wife.
The first time I did the emergency stop drill the instructor smiled and waved over his co-instructor to come watch me do it again. I do have the ABS brakes but I have never noticed them cycling.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.