Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi

I want to add a trailer hitch to my 1800Gl - 2005 Model, before ordering the wiring harness I need to know if my bike has ABS brakes or not, I bought it 2nd Hand and no-one in South Africa can give me any indication of what I should look for which will advise whether or not it has ABS. Please can someone assist, in giving me some idea where I can look on the bike to see if it has or not.

thanks

Colin

·
Administrator
26,187 Posts
imported post

If it has (ABS) on the lower fork covers and a toothed ring in the center of the right front rotor it has ABS brakes. Also there is a ABS indicator on the instrument panel that lights momentarily when you turn the ignition on.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks, just checked and there is No light that comes on that says ABS, only Neutral, oil indicator and F1, there is also no ABS words on the covers - however the left hand side of the front wheel behind the brake disc, it does have teeth on it. Maybe the front wheel was changed - not sure now, could you advise me any further please, or ahould I take it that the bike does not have ABS brakes because there is no ABS light.

Thanks

Colin

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
imported post

Trailer hitch or wiring harness has nothing to do with ABS. None of the manufactures specify ABS or non ABS. Same as the harness, it should be a isolator harness regardless of model.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Sounds like you have a non ABS Colin. No ABS light is a sure sign.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
imported post

Colin
Some non ABS wings have the ring on the wheel. Have a look to see if there is a sensor mounted on the right brake caliper bracket to read the speed ring. If there is no sensor or ABS light that would confirm non-ABS.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

Colin, you have received some very good advise from these guys. Here is a picture of what you will see on the right side of the bike at the front wheel if you have ABS.

If you are missing either then you do not have ABS.

Henry

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Wow - Thanks to everyone that advised me of the ABS issue. The picture given by Hanko/Henry is the "cherry on top of the cake" my bike does not have this at all, so it does not have ABS brakes.

Thanks again to all - this site is awesome

Cheers

Colin

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

Colin, the guys/gals/guru's on this site have been very patient with me as I have learned my bike. I'm just glad I could help out someone. The amount of experience on here is amazing. Sometimes you have to sift through the answers to find the nuggets you are looking for. Overall this site is the best one I have run across for helping out without flaming the "Newbie"

Enjoy, and when you get the chance to , contribute an answer!! And when fortune smiles upon you feel free to use the donate button on the bottom of any page to help keep this site advertiser free!!

Henry

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thank you Henry

I certainly will keep using this Site as here in the bottom of the woods (SA) we don't have a very large Goldwing Community, what we have are people who truly enjoy the Goldwing Bikes, and probably only have around 150 Goldwing riders country wide, so the technical knowledge is there, but limited to more entry level technical info. I will definetely contribute towards this site, in the near future (Xmas blew all my spare money)

Thanks again

Colin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.