Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading several sites on techniques for abs plastic repair. One feller keeps a cheapo soldering iron to heat up and, in effect, weld across cracks. He uses the cheapo because of the fouling of the tip.

Has anyone tried this? Sounds feasible. Weld across the crack, and then support with some other methods, such as abs dust and cement...

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
I use the soldering technique and use plumbers flashing tape for support on the inside of the fairing which is reasonably effective. I have seen others mentioning that they use ABS cement which I would like to try but the only plumbers cement I have seen in Oz is PVC cement. When I am in the US in August I intend to check out ABS cement as I would prefer to be able to thicken the repair like you do when using fibreglass.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am considering some metal flashing inside, attached with butyl tape. My son says it will stick to anything...

·
Wild Rhino - Canadian
591 Posts
I found it somewhere on the site, you can make your own ABS Glue, you take a scrap piece of plastic ABS and cut it into small pieces or shavings, place in small glass jar then add some acetone solvent, not much, put the lid back on and come back to it the next day. The mess in the bottom of the jar works great to repair ABS, if you don't use up that batch, just leave it, and add more acetone the next time you need some. It will dry out in a couple of days, but will still be able to be reused.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
I have used the ABS glue/cement to hold on a side cover pin that busted. That was two years ago and it still is holding strong.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
I found one of these welders on the bargain table at a pawn shop (except it was a model 5):

http://www.urethanesupply.com/5600HT.php

I figure it would be good for filling in cracks, and especially for when removing racks from lids. Shape the leftover hole, add a small square of ABS to the backside, and weld in the hole, sand it down, and no trace of a drilled out cover. I have also found several sources for black ABS rod.

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
I found it somewhere on the site, you can make your own ABS Glue, you take a scrap piece of plastic ABS and cut it into small pieces or shavings, place in small glass jar then add some acetone solvent, not much, put the lid back on and come back to it the next day. The mess in the bottom of the jar works great to repair ABS, if you don't use up that batch, just leave it, and add more acetone the next time you need some. It will dry out in a couple of days, but will still be able to be reused.
Just be careful on how much of the goop you apply. It can warp panels.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Go to Ace Hardware and ask for ABS Glue comes in a brush top can like 4.00. I have had very good luck with that and fiberglass mat soaked in the glue used on the inside. You have to clean all of the paint off to get a good bond. Let dry completely before you apply any more coats or the solvents may soften and ripple the piece. I have done a few bikes in that manner and it worked great...

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
its cool that you mention Rudy, he's a good guy... this repair is for deerstrike cracks on m VStrom, though...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.