Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

I would like to see a Goldwing with the basic motorcycle fairing, trunk and saddlebags. They would sell a bunch of those.:clapper:

·
Administrator
22,195 Posts
imported post

IdahoRaider wrote:
I would like to see a Goldwing with the basic motorcycle fairing, trunk and saddlebags. They would sell a bunch of those.:clapper:
They already did. Last one was the '87 GL1200 Interstate. The Aspencade out sold the I by a considerable margin.

GL1500I was close, but included the radio. Again the SE was the big seller.

Honda does its homework but sometimes they miss (Pacific Coast) and oddly, they don't always learn from their mistakes (VT700).

I'm very curious about the 2011 GL. Will they take Kawasaki's lead and try to sell us a touring cruiser?

Whatever they do, I doubt a bare bones tourer will be in the lineup.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
IdahoRaider wrote:
They already did. Last one was the '87 GL1200 Interstate. The Aspencade out sold the I by a considerable margin.

Honda does its homework but sometimes they miss (Pacific Coast) and oddly, they don't always learn from their mistakes (VT700).

I'm very curious about the 2011 GL. Will they take Kawasaki's lead and try to sell us a touring cruiser?

I am sure you are right:(it seems like now would be a good time for a basic Wing given the price of a new Wing now. But.........there is always a but somewhere, there is no doubt all those extras are selling. The ABS models were sold out when I was looking for mine. Whatever Honda does it is always interesting to follow. I see a 2000 cc or larger Wing coming, but that is only 1 persons opinion. As long as they can keep the MPG the same or more it would still sell.

Honda sure is good at keeping a secret.

·
Administrator
22,195 Posts
imported post

IdahoRaider wrote:
Bike...and Dennis wrote:
IdahoRaider wrote:

I am sure you are right:(it seems like now would be a good time for a basic Wing given the price of a new Wing now. But.........there is always a but somewhere, there is no doubt all those extras are selling. The ABS models were sold out when I was looking for mine. Whatever Honda does it is always interesting to follow. I see a 2000 cc or larger Wing coming, but that is only 1 persons opinion. As long as they can keep the MPG the same or more it would still sell.

Honda sure is good at keeping a secret.
Maybe they don't know either. :cooldevil:

Or, maybe there's no secret to keep.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
imported post

I recently bought my third Goldwing. I wanted ABS because I felt it was a safety feature. I didn’t want or need the Nav system. I recent having to buy something I didn’t need to get something I did need. Honda may think this is profit maximization, but I feel it is customer alienation. All companies who don’t consider customer wants will eventually be the looser.

·
Administrator
22,195 Posts
imported post

Maybe they don't know either. :cooldevil:

Or, maybe there's no secret to keep.
I'm sure they know, but it's very possible there's no secret. Just another year of no real change. They have no competition.

If you recallHonda kept the GL15, essentially unchanged, until BMW gave it a little competition. I'm sure the GL18 was on the drawing board, but didn't get the OK until the new Beemer popped onto the scene. That way Honda knows what to address to stay out front.

What makesone wonder what Mom Honda is up to is the new Sport-touring 1200cc V-4. Far more "sporty" than the ST1300.Is this a hint that the company intends to merge the ST and GL? That would be a good thing for those of us who really grind off the edges of their tires before wearing the whiskers off the center tread. However...most Gold Wings are not used that way and Honda knows it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.